Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2015 7:02:04 PM EDT
I know that 100 yards isn't a real test for the mighty 50.
Today I went to the 100 yard public range  to work on sighting in my  32" Zel custom and shoot some of the surplus ap rounds I just got from cheeper then dirt.
I was able to get a 5 shot group that was all touching and close to one ragged hole. 3 shots made one big hole other two opened it up little.
I was still shooting about 6 inches below point of aim.

I was asked by range master to put it away when a 90 year old guy came and set up on bench next to me. With the way things where blowing off the tables on either side of me, I didn't want to cause the old guy any more trouble than he was already having.so I agreed to put it up and shoot my other rifle.
I only shot a few of the surplus ap rounds I got.  The bolt wasa little still to retract after shooting them. But all ammo but my reloads are sticky. It seams if I let it set a minute the bold comes back little easier. But still have the to tap it will h my hand to  eject the case.
I did get shoot a tracer. The round hit the burm and went in the dirt then smoke started coming up for about 30 seconds. I wasn't worried about a fire because this is old gravel pit and nothing to burn. Just thought strange how long the round burned.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
My range in the back yard is only 100. Kinda of like driving a race car in 1st but its a good test range. I found the ap to do pretty well also. I shot a 1.5" piece of plate steel and it went thru. My api reloads did to. It croned slower than some pmc stuff i shot that day. Did u wipe off the ammo first? When i delinked them they were really grimy so i got some stainless steel wool and wiped it a few times. They shined up nice.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
They couldn't open up another lane because they where all in use. Insted of pushing the issue and risk them banning the 50 I just let it go and be nice guy.  The range officer could have made policy to no longer allow big bore guns due to safety.  Some times  best to play the nice guy.
I think it is more my chamber being cut a little tighter. And that is causing the issue.

For long range groups I would be very happy to be able to hit man size target at 1000 yards.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Ricky, I personally think your spot on. When I first started shooting at my range, I gave a lot of free shots to make friends and hopefully someone would speak up if anyone tried to get the 50 banned from the range. Best was a thin tall 18 yr old girl with her dad. Her dad had already shot the rifle and she asked if she could. After the shot she got a large smile that was not going away for some time. She looked at her dad and said "We got to get one of these". Best freebe shot I ever gave away.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:36:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ricky, I personally think your spot on. When I first started shooting at my range, I gave a lot of free shots to make friends and hopefully someone would speak up if anyone tried to get the 50 banned from the range. Best was a thin tall 18 yr old girl with her dad. Her dad had already shot the rifle and she asked if she could. After the shot she got a large smile that was not going away for some time. She looked at her dad and said "We got to get one of these". Best freebe shot I ever gave away.
View Quote

I try to be nice and not bother others.

Usually I will wait until a few positions nearby the rifle have been cleared out over time.

Last time I went out with the rifle, folks saw it sitting there and I couldn`t run them off at all after a couple hours of it sitting unfired, and shooting my pistol and small talk with them.

Finally told myself...........do it. Just do it.

Chambered a few rounds and they were doing "selfies" near it.

I try to be considerate of others, as the rifle does make a serious blast noise nearby.

I don`t want to be " that guy that bothers everyone".

However, I also want to shoot it when I need some time at the range feeling like "let`s do something different today".

Anyone who I let fire it, has had a serious smile on their face after doing so, and I let them have the spent brass as a keepsake.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know that 100 yards isn't a real test for the mighty 50.
Today I went to the 100 yard public range  to work on sighting in my  32" Zel custom and shoot some of the surplus ap rounds I just got from cheeper then dirt.
I was able to get a 5 shot group that was all touching and close to one ragged hole. 3 shots made one big hole other two opened it up little.
I was still shooting about 6 inches below point of aim.

I was asked by range master to put it away when a 90 year old guy came and set up on bench next to me. With the way things where blowing off the tables on either side of me, I didn't want to cause the old guy any more trouble than he was already having.so I agreed to put it up and shoot my other rifle.
I only shot a few of the surplus ap rounds I got.  The bolt wasa little still to retract after shooting them. But all ammo but my reloads are sticky. It seams if I let it set a minute the bold comes back little easier. But still have the to tap it will h my hand to  eject the case.
I did get shoot a tracer. The round hit the burm and went in the dirt then smoke started coming up for about 30 seconds. I wasn't worried about a fire because this is old gravel pit and nothing to burn. Just thought strange how long the round burned.
View Quote

Two things I discovered about sticky rounds were to get a 50 BMG chamber hone and polish the chamber lightly.  Now whenever I shoot something a bit hot I never smack on the bolt handle.  It puts stress on the extractor and the bolt handle. Instead I keep a solid rod out of steel with a brass tip that I made from the center rod out of a freeze proof faucet.  But any steel rod that will fit down the bore will work fine.  I just open the bolt and then use the rod to tap the brass backwards and it simply extracts without any problem at all.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top