Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2015 3:23:22 AM EDT
Aa of May 30th, I have a new personal record for number of 50 bmg rounds shot in a day. I shot 65 rounds, 5 of which were A-Max. That was the first time I shot those. Yes, there is a noticeable difference. Those were shot near the end after about 140 rounds of 308 and a few other things. My should is saying FU right now. Someone I helped get hooked onto the 50 had his Zel out there. His had the standard brake. I'm glad I have the Barrett 99 with the giant brake. I know that I need to get some .5" ar500 to use with ball ammo now. It didn't stand a chance against API though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Your going to post this without pics? Are you nuts? You should be beaten with a cane for this crime! PICS!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't get a whole lot of pictures myself. I can post some of the empty brass and some steel. I got some video but I'm not sure how it turned out yet.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's some pictures. The brass in the can is from previous times I've been shooting. It's been deprimed and is waiting to be cleaned. I'm saving brass so I can reload it when I finally get everything I need.

This is something else that was already there when I showed up. I shot at it 4, maybe 5 times total. The miss(es) could have been me or the ammo considering the size of the target. It was one piece before th 50 killed it. One of the other 3 shots was a 308. Not sure about the other 2.

Some of the welds broke after the 2nd shot.

I then set them up side by side. The bottom piece was hit by standard ball ammo. The top was hit by a 3rd API round.

The ball broke the welds in two spots and the 3rd API broke them in 1 spot.

Front

Back

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice pics. Guess I shouldn't bitch about pics since i didn't get any when I shot a couple weeks ago. Was fun blowing holes in 3/8th inch steel with AP. Tried it with ball. Dented the steel but the round disinigrated on impact. What distance were you shooting?

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#6]
That "piece" above was a little ways past 100 yards. There was some other stuff closer to 300. I have a piece of 5/8" steel. Even ball goes through it. You must have something a little harder.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:07:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's a short video. It should be visible about 25 minutes after this post has been made.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I will have my brother in law send me a pic of the plate we shot the shit out of with AP.

Here is the steel we shot holes in with AP. Lower right shows the ball round dent. painted holes are from previous 308 and 30-06 shots.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#10]
updated last post above
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 3:23:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Cool Video, tracers
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool Video, tracers
View Quote

It would have been better if one of us hit the target. Both were APIT. I've shot plain tracer rounds before. They were new AE with LC 13 brass. Something I noticed is that the APITs in the video lit up sooner and were brighter.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I had some more fun today. I've been looking for some bowling pins and haven't had any luck. I decided to ask about some balls since I was on the phone with a local alley. I was in luck. This is the aftermath.

2x API

A-Max entrance and exit

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like fun. Dam. Now I have to go find some bowling balls to blow apart. Picked up a box of A-Max bullets last week to try. Haven't reloaded them yet. I'll bet your arm feels like rubber. Have found the WC860 @215 grains keeps it down some for ball. Different game when I load match with H50BMG. That stuff lets you know pretty quick. Thanks for the video. Always great to see folks having fun with the monster rifles.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:37:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like fun. Dam. Now I have to go find some bowling balls to blow apart. Picked up a box of A-Max bullets last week to try. Haven't reloaded them yet. I'll bet your arm feels like rubber. Have found the WC860 @215 grains keeps it down some for ball. Different game when I load match with H50BMG. That stuff lets you know pretty quick. Thanks for the video. Always great to see folks having fun with the monster rifles.
View Quote

I have 4 bowling balls and 10 pins.
Do you have a long range available?
Last time I shot bowling balls it was at 450, 600, 800, 900, 1000, and 1760 yards at a FUN shoot in Marksville, LA.
Took 12 shots to break one at 1 mile.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Can get access to a so called long range if I want to drive 4 hours. Can get bowling balls at the swappers meet but pins are not there. Will check yours out when I get out to your place. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Ive shot a bowling ball before also. They explod when hit. We found chunks about 25 -50 yards away. Pretty fun though. Just be sure your away from it. I have 2 bowling pins that we have shot up. They hold up very well.

Eta.
I went and took a pic of one of my pins. Seems as though rot as messed it up more than shooting it. Ive had it for a few years and it has well over 200 50cal, 2,000 223 &308 & who knows how many pistol rounds. But looking at it it seems to be rotting away :/
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#18]
For those interested in pins or balls, check with your local alley(s). I got the balls for free. It seems like they're easier to get. Especially the light weight ones. You get some adults, drunk or not, that try to toss them as hard as they can. Pins are another story. I can only get them from 1 of the 2 local alleys since the one does some weird contract. The one that I can get them from will be doing a full swap for brand new pins this Summer.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top