Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2015 11:20:30 PM EDT
Someone sent me a link to www.vigilancerifles.com and their M14 semi auto 50 BMG.  According to their web site they only admit to 1.5 MOA accuracy for the $10,000 price tag I was hoping for better accuracy.  Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it and if they had any better or worse results.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what it is, but something about the way the wording on their main page is written strikes me weird.  It's almost like keyword stuffing to generate search engine hits, but not as obvious as I've seen elsewhere.  If I was looking to spend $10k on a rifle something like that would give me pause.

ETA:  reading it again it reminds me of something that was poorly translated or written by someone who has a decent English vocabulary, but not a great grasp of the language.  It reminds me of product descriptions for Chinese products being directly marketed here.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, looks like SEO on steroids. They probably outsourced the writing to one of the online services and that drivel is the result.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Looking pretty good. Am hoping there wasn't a dumb ass holding the camcorder while he was shooting it. Claiming to be the best? Am sure Barrett will have something to say about that. Easy upgradable trigger to full auto? Would think ATF would require them to make it so that cannot be done. Interesting though. Would have to research the company to insure its a solid rifle. Since I couldn't afford one, guess I will keep dreaming while shooting my bolt action 50 BMG. Would be nice though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#5]
With the accuracy available with something as simple as an Armalite AR-10T (.5 MOA) a rifle basically built on those specks should be able to do much better then 1.5 MOA.  Not to mention the price is too much for a rifle I never heard of before.  I really enjoy shooting my 1998 Armalite AR-10T with the 24 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The owner is Bill Ritchie's son, you know, the guy that makes them Windrunners?

Well, he builds his own rifles also and from the video they are badass.
View Quote

They are badass, to be sure.  But at like 48lbs, naked it would be a bitch to carry anywhere other than from your vehicle to the shooting bench.

On a side note, didn't his father retire and now he makes the windrunners too?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looking pretty good. Am hoping there wasn't a dumb ass holding the camcorder while he was shooting it. Claiming to be the best? Am sure Barrett will have something to say about that. Easy upgradable trigger to full auto? Would think ATF would require them to make it so that cannot be done. Interesting though. Would have to research the company to insure its a solid rifle. Since I couldn't afford one, guess I will keep dreaming while shooting my bolt action 50 BMG. Would be nice though.
View Quote

If that were the case we wouldn't be able to have AR15s/10s/HK's of any type, ect.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They are badass, to be sure.  But at like 48lbs, naked it would be a bitch to carry anywhere other than from your vehicle to the shooting bench.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The owner is Bill Ritchie's son, you know, the guy that makes them Windrunners?

Well, he builds his own rifles also and from the video they are badass.

Holy crap! 48 Lbs?..!

I was half interested in one until I discovered that!

...how long/how much before a lightweight one is out?  :)
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I noticed 38 lbs on the spec. page not 48 but still 38 lbs is still pretty heavy.  I don't however understand why they are not touting something better than 1.5 MOA.  With all the ties to the folks that came from Bushmaster you would think they could do much better.  If my memory serves me correctly I sold my Colt SP1 and purchased a Bushmaster Varminter about 15 years ago and it still gives me .5 MOA with my reloads and a 62 grain bullet.  My 1998 Armalite AR-10T Also still produces.5 MOA groups with 168 grain bullet.  So in my thinking the design should be able to give better performance, especially if they are going to charge $10,000 for it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I noticed 38 lbs on the spec. page not 48 but still 38 lbs is still pretty heavy.  I don't however understand why they are not touting something better than 1.5 MOA....
View Quote

Back when I was drag racing,  during time trials/test and tune sessions, some competitors would appear to be going all out.
They were clearly burning up sparkplugs and breaking parts trying to go as fast as they could.

Their claimed times were, of course, taken as the best they could do.

Bets were made on this, and on race day they would take the money and win the races.

Why? HOW!!!..?

They were "sandbagging".
When everyone was looking at them tuning the car -nobody was looking in the trunk:
A couple hundred pounds of sandbags would handycap them consistently.

If a tuneup was safe with that weight load, come race day they would be reliable and faster with the lesser weight...

It is easy to claim as an unknown you do mediocre work,
then cleans up the winnings during competition.

If you claim .5 m.o.a. and actually shoot 1.0, well... then your reputation is shot to shit.

So, as the new guy at the track, what do you want to claim?

Set yourself up for possibly a public letdown?
Or be the underdog with the "suprise" performance that wows the crowd?

I think they're sandbagging.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:22:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

...Just for the record, I never liked those Chey Tac people, they seemed like shysters from the get-go.

Best of luck to y'all.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#13]
That looks like a nice gun, but I think I'd go for a BFG-50A for less weight and money.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:05:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Back when I was drag racing,  during time trials/test and tune sessions, some competitors would appear to be going all out.
They were clearly burning up sparkplugs and breaking parts trying to go as fast as they could.

Bets were made on this, and on race day they would take the money and win the races.

Why? HOW!!!..?

They were "sandbagging".
When everyone was looking at them tuning the car -nobody was looking in the trunk:

If a tuneup was safe with that weight load, come race day they would be reliable and faster with the lesser weight...

If you claim .5 m.o.a. and actually shoot 1.0, well... then your reputation is shot to shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I noticed 38 lbs on the spec. page not 48 but still 38 lbs is still pretty heavy.  I don't however understand why they are not touting something better than 1.5 MOA....

Why? HOW!!!..?

They were "sandbagging".

I see your point but with enough companies out there guaranteeing .5 or 1 MOA I fear they are losing sales if they are "sandbagging".
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:25:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Compared to the M82 it is likely miles ahead in accuracy capabilities.

What are the other Semiauto options and how do they realistically compare?   Accuracy International 50?   What else?

If 1.5 is the guarantee, and this a 50 not some mouse gun or rat motor version ar10, this is not likely to compare directly.

I think the only other AR style 50 out there is the RND Edge and i gave no idea how they shoot.

http://www.rndrifles.com/firearms/rnd-3000/
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:38:31 AM EDT
[#16]
The bottom line here is th M82 type rifle is a 2moa gun.
Some do (much) better, but off the shelf, that's pretty much what you should expect.

The BFG-50A is an AMAZING lightweight rifle could quite likely compare to the newcomer...

I am excited to see something so soon to the 50A challenge it!

This makes everyone work harder/better.

This new design has potential...

Lets see what it is...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

...Just for the record, I never liked those Chey Tac people, they seemed like shysters from the get-go.

Best of luck to y'all.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best of luck to y'all.  

These aren't the Cheytac people, just an FYI.  Cheytac was a seperate company that formed to create the .408 Cheytac and then they started producing rifles copying/stealing heavily from Bills idea.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What are the other Semiauto options and how do they realistically compare?   Accuracy International 50?   What else?

If 1.5 is the guarantee, and this a 50 not some mouse gun or rat motor version ar10, this is not likely to compare directly.

I think the only other AR style 50 out there is the RND Edge and i gave no idea how they shoot.

View Quote

According to one member here they shoot very well....lemme see if I can find the pic.

Got it!   This rifle is a work of art and only 25lbs... question is, hows the recoil?

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The bottom line here is th M82 type rifle is a 2moa gun.
Some do (much) better, but off the shelf, that's pretty much what you should expect.

The BFG-50A is an AMAZING lightweight rifle could quite likely compare to the newcomer...

I am excited to see something so soon to the 50A challenge it!

This makes everyone work harder/better.

This new design has potential...

Lets see what it is...
View Quote

For reference to how well it's built they even offer a full-auto model!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

According to one member here they shoot very well....lemme see if I can find the pic.

Got it!   This rifle is a work of art and only 25lbs... question is, hows the recoil?

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af311/jimmym40a3/IMG_2304.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af311/jimmym40a3/IMG_2304.jpg

This thing looks massive. Looks more than 25 lbs. Definately looks bigger than mine. Would like to see one in action but looks solid. Now, if I can only find that can I buried years ago with 10 grand in it to go buy one.
I'm in for more companies making these monsters. Helps drive down costs. Competition is good.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top