Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2014 10:32:53 PM EDT
That first trim on an LC case is quite a workout with a hand crank unit like a Lyman Accutrimmer.  I have several hundred to trim and I was wondering if there is an alternative to the hand crank trimmer that's fast and won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Try the WFT

Hook it up to a drill motor and you're off!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:39:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try the WFT

Hook it up to a drill motor and you're off!!!
View Quote

What he said up there.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Let me know if you get it and it works. Just trimmed 60 cases yesterday with my lyman and my arm is soar. Just ordered the carbide cutter to help. Was thinking up cutting an old socket to slip over the handle so I can use a drill. Have a couple hundred to do myself.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

http://www.matchprep.com/50caliber.htm

I have the Gracey = buy the Giraud.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#5]
The lee setup is  not too bad. Just cut off a shovel handle and epoxy the cutter into it and of course use a drill to drive it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

http://www.matchprep.com/50caliber.htm

I have the Gracey = buy the Giraud.
View Quote

To much for my wallet. Did you check your PM's from other forum?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Lee cutter
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a fan of the Lee trimmer also.  The same length every time and does not cost as much as any of the others.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm a fan of the Lee trimmer also.  The same length every time and does not cost as much as any of the others.
View Quote

this... and use a drill press
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the LEE as well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Hello Carguy my friend...nice to see you again.  It seems like the Lee setup is what I'm looking for to stick in a drill.  So I'll need just the large cutter with the lock stud and the case length gauge/holder right?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hello Carguy my friend...nice to see you again.  It seems like the Lee setup is what I'm looking for to stick in a drill.  So I'll need just the large cutter with the lock stud and the case length gauge/holder right?
View Quote

Yep.I use a cordless driver over an old cookie sheet-goes pretty fast.

I use the LEE set up for every caliber I reload and have been happy with the results.

Doing more loading than shooting this time of year.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lee cutter
View Quote

It works good

Lee cutter
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Don't think that will work for the 50 BMG trimmer. Looks like its for there regular trimmers.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Correct you are Bearcat24, that will only work with the standard cartridge trimmer Lyman makes....I have one.  I also have the Accutrimmer for the 50 and I'm wondering if there is the same upgrade available for that trimmer.  Off to the Lyman website.....
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope...power adapter can only be used on the universal case trimmer.  I guess it's back to the Lee setup.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I have the Giraud. You don't need the 50 bmg specific one either. A 50 bmg cutter will work on their standard trimmer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't think that will work for the 50 BMG trimmer. Looks like its for there regular trimmers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Works on mine.   The trimmer will not go clear to the other end but is plenty long enough to cut down 50's.

I mounted it to a 2x4 and that black foam block supports the back end of my cordless drill
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have the K&M trimmer, you can put the cutter in à vice to hold it. Put the shellholder in à drill and go at them, makes doing it easy. The K&M also chamfers the inside and out edge of the mouth. Once you get it down you can do à lot of cases fast, not as fast as the power units but fast enough for à one man outfit.
View Quote

I use the same as you 50_Shooter. But I hold the trimmer in my hand and use the shell holder in the cordless. I put just a bit of imperial lube on the pilot. I can knock out more than enough in an hour. Not doing any production work here either.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I just received my carbide cutter. Hell of allot better than the standard cutter that it comes with. To change the shaft, any modifications needed or will it just slip in?
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I finally got to try the LEE setup I got about a week ago.  I find it archaic and difficult to use.  The case length gauge only allows for a trim down to 3.912.  I don't like how the lock stud has so little for a drill to chuck down on.  It's damn hard to hold the cutter in place while the case is spinning and cutting.  I ended up doing the final cutting back on my Accu Trimmer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#25]
The lock stud is more then strong enough for the task and works well in cordless 18v drill. The stud can is designed to give uniform case length and does this very well. I do agree it is hard holding on the cutter when you are trimming. All you have to do is put it in set of vice grips and problem solved. Last night I trimmed 45 cases and deburred and chamfered  them with my Lee trimmer and had no issues.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top