Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2014 10:27:59 PM EDT
Looking at a Noreen Ulr and a Armalite ar50. Whats a better riffle for a entry level 50 shooter?
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I nominate an upper for an AR lower. The Ferret 50 made by Spider Arms. And if you are one of those who like to shoot what a champion shoots. The World record for smallest group at 1000 yrds was just broken with a Ferret 50. Forgot the group size but think it was something in the area of 4.2" for 5 shots.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#2]
2.045"
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I nominate an upper for an AR lower. The Ferret 50 made by Spider Arms. And if you are one of those who like to shoot what a champion shoots. The World record for smallest group at 1000 yrds was just broken with a Ferret 50. Forgot the group size but think it was something in the area of 4.2" for 5 shots.
View Quote

Nice! Im gona look into that,  thank you
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#4]
If you don't mind something heavy, go with the AR-50 as it's a true bolt action 50.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you don't mind something heavy, go with the AR-50 as it's a true bolt action 50.
View Quote

I sure like the look of a Armalite... Im still looking around...
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Kalas,
What do you mean by "a true bolt riflte"? What is about the Ferret 50 that is not a true rifle?

Thanks Texas.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I was referring to the action difference between the AR50 and the Noreen Ulr.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:11:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#9]
"Witch 50?"....... Just make sure it isn't the wicked WITCH of the west.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:54:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Dave Moore makes a quality upper 50BMG unit in his Ferret50 design. Patrick did replace his worn-out barrel with a Lilja unit prior to shooting his new Unlimited Worlds Record of 5-shots into a group of 2.045" center-to-center at a FCSA Sanctioned 1000 yard competition at Alliance Nebraska.
Dave's upper can be used with any standard AR-15 lower, or with dedicated design single-shot steel lowers available from Dave or others.

I truly enjoy my AR-50 and my State Arms Shorty.= both of which have been re-barreled bwith Feddersen units and using an ArmaLite AR-50 muzzle-brake.

I do NOT have good things to say about the one Noreen I have examined.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Burn her!
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I've owned the Noreen.  It's very heavy and has some sharp edges.  I've cut myself with the rifle a few times.

I ended up selling it due to how slow it is to reload.  AR50 or other true bolt action will be much faster at reloads for follow up shots.

The muzzle brake on the Noreen works very well...felt recoil was comparable to .243.

If this was my money, I'd say get a Ferrett 50.  Dave is awesome to talk to on the phone.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Burn her!
View Quote

Burn it if is a Hesse or Vulcan, do not buy ay any price, unless you intend to create an nice floor lamp with what is salvageable.
Armalites are okay, very heavy.
Ferrets have made some good shooters.
I have a Steyr HS50 that really shoots, but more $$$$.
Built a SHTF 18" mag fed on a Stubborn Mule single shot lower, it's fun to shoot.
Have the bipod and carry handle on it, no feed or extraction problems as others have posted.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:38:19 AM EDT
[#15]
As mention the Ferret 50, Safety Harbor SHTF 50 are AR-15 conversion type and pretty inexpensive. Also the Zel Customs Tactilite T1 upper. You can put together a nice single shot gun with an AR lower setup just like you want for $1600 -2700 range with the SH the cheapest, the Ferret 50 the most expensive and the Zel in-between. If you have an AR lower or other parts laying around you can build one even cheaper. That's pretty entry level for a 50 BMG. These vary a little in design and price between the different companies, but essentially are similar in concept. Also since these upper are considered a non controlled gun part you can just order one, have it shipped directly to you and not go through an FFL (pending local regs). Your AR lower is what is papered.

SH mag-fed SHTF 50 below. I have many hundreds of rounds through 3 of these things now and have not had any significant issues. A mag-fed 50 for $2300-2400 range. Standing and firing these offhand is more fun than should be legal

Moving up the price scale, the AR50 and Barrett 99 would be good choices. Have shot a friends Barrett 99 quite a bit. No complaints with that gun other than it's big and heavy but I guess heavy is good for recoil. The recoil and muzzle blast is a bit more on my little Safety Harbor conversions. Lots more 50 BMG choices. All it takes is imagination & money. I'd sit down and really think about what you want to do with your 50. What type/distance shooting you'll be doing etc. Good luck with your choice.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#16]
check out the Bushmaster BA 50. its a mag fed bolt action that can be had for under $4000. Its heavy but not a lot of recoil and shoots decient groups. they come in a nice form fitted pelican case also with 2 mags.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Ar-50....

I had a Millett scope on a 300 winmag, so it was kicked to the curb! LOL I had no idea it was so big

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Back in 05 a good buddy of mine while home on leave from Iraq got the bug and bought a Bluegrass Armory VIPER XL 50 BMG.  He put a big Barska scope on it and maybe put 25 rds through it over the years. Anyhow I had to help him move alot of his gear out of a bordering state when the white trash he befriended and lived with started stealing from him  ( that family's son was a meth/pillhead and could do no wrong you see ) .
  As it stands now his disabled after his second Iraq vacation back in 07. I helped him move more gear 2 weeks ago and he gave my son that Viper and 400 + rds of ammo  with about 1/3 spotter and tracer. Confirmed zero and 'we' have put about 60 rds downrange. Loads of fun.
  Only thing I noticed I found problematic is the lead weight in the removeable butt has swelled and is more or less stuck in the receiver. Not a big issue. Recoil is very manageable even for my 11yr old mini-me.
  Anyone here have experiance with this brand of rifle ?. At the time he bought it he lived in Richmond KY and the manufacturer ( Bluegrass armory ) was literally a few blocks from his abode ( when he was'nt deployed  ) .   He got great customer service form the place but I am thinking I read that they sold out and am no longer in business at that location.  All in all it's an expensive gift to my son and counting the dozen other old milsurps my friend has already given my son , it's his favorite by far now.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:07:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Back in 05 a good buddy of mine while home on leave from Iraq got the bug and bought a Bluegrass Armory VIPER XL 50 BMG.  He put a big Barska scope on it and maybe put 25 rds through it over the years. Anyhow I had to help him move alot of his gear out of a bordering state when the white trash he befriended and lived with started stealing from him  ( that family's son was a meth/pillhead and could do no wrong you see ) .
  As it stands now his disabled after his second Iraq vacation back in 07. I helped him move more gear 2 weeks ago and he gave my son that Viper and 400 + rds of ammo  with about 1/3 spotter and tracer. Confirmed zero and 'we' have put about 60 rds downrange. Loads of fun.
  Only thing I noticed I found problematic is the lead weight in the removeable butt has swelled and is more or less stuck in the receiver. Not a big issue. Recoil is very manageable even for my 11yr old mini-me.
  Anyone here have experiance with this brand of rifle ?. At the time he bought it he lived in Richmond KY and the manufacturer ( Bluegrass armory ) was literally a few blocks from his abode ( when he was'nt deployed  ) .   He got great customer service form the place but I am thinking I read that they sold out and am no longer in business at that location.  All in all it's an expensive gift to my son and counting the dozen other old milsurps my friend has already given my son , it's his favorite by far now.
View Quote

My friend has had his BG since 2005 timeframe and shot hundreds of rounds through it without incident. I have shot it a fair amount and like it. Very accurate. I once put a bullet exactly through a previous bullet hole in a 3/4" steel plate at 100yds. Everyone thought I missed the plate because it didn't ring. Then we figured it out, it went cleanly through the first hole. That wasn't the only fantastic shot with that 50 either, it easily shoots MOA or less. Never had any problems with it that I heard of. He still has it. A solid all around great performing 50 BMG. Very similar to the Barrett 99. This gun is heavy with a decent brake so recoil shouldn't be a problem, his kid was shooting it when he was 10 or 11. I hear that Bluegrass makes/made good stuff.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#20]
There is a killer deal on an HS 50 right now with a Leopold on gunbroker right now .  IMO get  .50 built with a hammer forged barrel for the price of an AR15 kit gun.
If I didnt have 3 x .50's right now I'd jump on it.
But Christmas IS sneaking up.... Maybe for the wifey ?

Exhibit "A" at the divorce trial.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ar-50....

I had a Millett scope on a 300 winmag, so it was kicked to the curb! LOL I had no idea it was so big

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm234/daveo11/IMAG0486Large.jpg
View Quote

So you bought the AR50? Congrats, by all accounts a great, great BMG. Never shot one but handled a couple times. It is a monster of a gun.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice choice Daveo. I had a Safety Harbor before I got my AR-50.  I wish I had done it in reverse.  I have to admit that I wasn't crazy about the looks of the AR-50, but, it grows on you once you experience the mechanics and reliability of the platform.  I wish Armalite made a tactical, mag fed version.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I love my AR50 now go shot yours
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top