Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2014 10:22:43 PM EDT
Need some opinions or reloading presses. Been loading 308 and pistol for a bit. Did this to get comfortable reloading before jumping in on the 50. I have everything I need for reloading except the press. Options are Lee, Hornady or RCBS. Lee is the least expensive but reading allot of reviews on issues. Hornady and RCBS cost about the same so could go either way. Cost is a factory but don't want to purchase one and regret it down the road. I like the cost of the Lee. I can stretch it for the others but if the lee will work, would rather save the bucks to use toward primers, powders, etc.. Will be taking my sweet time to reload so speed is not important. Opinoins greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#1]
what rifle are you loading for?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:46:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what rifle are you loading for?
View Quote

Safety Harbors 50 BMG w/22 inch barrel. Been shooting survivalops ammo with no issues. Time to reload to lower the cost. Nothing match at this time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:57:43 AM EDT
[#3]
When I first started shooting my 50 BMG a friend with a Barrett loaned me his RCBS 50 BMG set up and I had a ball with it for 3 years.  It was a great system but when he decided it was time for him to start reloading I purchased a Lee system and while it is not an RCBS it is quite adequate.  I expected an aluminum piece of crap. but after research found out it was cast steel and it has worked fine for several years and loads very accurate loads.  I do wish it was a bit taller but that is not really a problem.  I also couldn't find a primer swage tool for removing crimps but made my own on a lathe and later found one that cuts the crimp out of the case.  Lee also makes a case trimmer that works much better than the collet type of trimmer and cuts each case exactly the same length.  If money is a deciding factor go with the Lee it will do a fine job.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#4]
One of the main issues I have read about the lee is the handle bending when resizing due to poor construction. That and height was another big complaint. With me taking it slow anyways, probably not an issue but the handle bending might be an issue. Cheapest I have found was $215. Sure beats over 500 for the others.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One of the main issues I have read about the lee is the handle bending when resizing due to poor construction. That and height was another big complaint. With me taking it slow anyways, probably not an issue but the handle bending might be an issue. Cheapest I have found was $215. Sure beats over 500 for the others.
View Quote

go down to ace hardware and buy 1/2in barstock. and a grade 8 bolt for the part that holds it all together. cut the bar 6in longer than stock handle..done
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I've loaded about 600 rds so far with the Lee and I'm happy with the accuracy.  Use a quality sizing wax to prevent bending the handle. If it bends, a cheap piece of bar stock from The Home Depot or Lowe's will take care of that.  You'll get over the frame height issue after you load a dozen or so.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I have resized 2000 lake city cases through the LEE and have had zero issues with it.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Appreciate the feed back. Looks like Lee it is.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#9]
the lee will be fine for your rifle
i loaded 1,000 rounds with my lee before i sold it and went to a hollywood
if you tip the round as you put it in the seating die you can load an amax out 5.75"coal just fine
i load my tenx match rounds to 6.1"coal
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:36:31 AM EDT
[#10]
i have kd185's Lee press thru another fcsa owner, handle has been replaced.
i also have 3 rcbs presses for usage, one of which is in my reloading trailer along with the Lee press setup. they go to fcsa matches to allow use at ranges for all who have a need

i prefer rcbs press with hornady dies. hornady press is rcbs unit with rcbs name milled off, painted red, and a hornady label attached to press body. hornady resize die has advantages over Lee or rcbs in sb design and function

how's your primer punch working for you?

Lee press will work fine for reloading brass fired in your rifle.
resizing machine gun brass the first time will be a real challenge with the Lee press unless you anneal  neck and shoulder to a dead-soft condition and use a quality lubricant.

wish you lived closer - could help you out more
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Punch is working great. Still want to make another trip out some time in the near future. Once I get set up, should come out to touch on a few subjects before I begin. Reloading 308 and 40 S&W has worked out great to get me prepared for what my ultimate goal in reloading was for. Come spring, will be looking for a better 50.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Reloaded 1000's of rounds on an Old Western Scrounger 20mm press using RCBS dies.
The Old Western Scrounger press is big and heavy, but built like a tank.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Ordered the Lee this morning, shipped this after noon. Should have it by thursday. Is it worth buying a case gauge for the 50? I have them for my 308 and 40 and has helped allot. Any other tools I should invest in? Appreciate all the help.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#15]
What are you going to trim your cases with?  Lyman makes a nice, dedicated 50 trimmer.  You are going to need a crimp remover for the primer pockets.  Go with something that spins and cuts instead of a swaging type tool.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What are you going to trim your cases with?
View Quote

Researching that now.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I have this and love it.  Great price to;

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/case-trimmers/accuTrimmer-bmg.php

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I've loaded a bunch with my Lee 50 BMG loader and the main point I think I see with folks having any trouble is skimping out on case lube.  I use either Imperial case wax or Royal Case & Die Lube.  Just a VERY thin amount on the outside and touch on the inside of the neck will make a great big difference in how easy it is to size any 50 BMG case.  Spray lube and most other "easy" to use lubes suck and can cause a stuck case in the sizing die.  I've switched to only using Royal or Imperial lubes for any case or bullet sizing.  Remember that too much will cause a lube dent on any case.  One thing about the Royal Case & Die Lube is it smells like honey yet is not sticky at all.  I even use it on internal parts like triggers and pistol slides. I use those products on a lube pad where I can control the amount of product that gets on the case when you roll it across the pad..
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tony,
Would that be the rock crusher? Wish I could find one, they're as rare as hens teeth! Don't know how many were ever made but there has to be some out there somewhere.
View Quote

CH4D.com is the one making them now.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tony,
Would that be the rock crusher? Wish I could find one, they're as rare as hens teeth! Don't know how many were ever made but there has to be some out there somewhere.
View Quote

Yes. It is the Rock Crusher.  Damn good press but a back breaker from the long throw. Need to mount it on an angled plate to keep from being such a work out.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Got the press in today. Don't want to mount on my current bench since my other press is set up just right. Anyone know if the Lee reloading stand would be strong enough for the 50bmg press? Thinking it won't be but thought I would ask. I can side mount on my current bench but not the ideal solution. Could get another bench but not thrilled with that idea. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I use a RCBS Ammomaster and RCBS dies. They have worked for years with no problems.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Got the press in today. Don't want to mount on my current bench since my other press is set up just right. Anyone know if the Lee reloading stand would be strong enough for the 50bmg press? Thinking it won't be but thought I would ask. I can side mount on my current bench but not the ideal solution. Could get another bench but not thrilled with that idea. Suggestions?
View Quote

I have a LEE Tombstone that I use for training that a friend you know used for his 50BMG press. I hung two cement bricks under the stand to keep it more solid. For machine gun brass you won't have enough leverage to re-size the brass. Bring it to me for initial processing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I tried various primer crimp removal tools (C-H, KN) and the Wilson is far superior to the others.  I also use their trimmer on all my brass down to 25-20WCF.  The power drive adapter is money well spent, too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have a LEE Tombstone that I use for training that a friend you know used for his 50BMG press. I hung two cement bricks under the stand to keep it more solid. For machine gun brass you won't have enough leverage to re-size the brass. Bring it to me for initial processing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the offer. I need to do this to learn all the nuts and bolts of every step as I progress into 50 BMG. If I ever want to consider competition in the future, I need to be on my game when reloading. Enjoying reloading 308 so this will be interesting to learn. Especially that 1st trigger pull on the 1st reload will be that pucker factor to get the heart pumping. Part of the process.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I suppose I have not really tried to uniform the primer pockets like I should. But I used one of those bullet chamfer tools to remove the crimp and chamfer the opening to the primer pocket. This leaves no square edges for the primer to get hanged up on.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#28]
For triming I use the lee case trimmer stud and trimer for about $30 it works great for me and all cases will be same length every time.  I am not loading hundreds of 50 bmg at a time so it being a little slow is not a big deal and if I want to go go faster I put the base in a drill and that is lot faster. For the crimp I use a knife to remove it, I know not best but works for me.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Getting close to start reloading. Just mounted the press on current table toward the side. Picked up some ball from here... http://www.50bmgsupply.com/components.shtml , along with some AP. For now, just want to start with ball. I have 4 8# jugs of WC 860 I want to use on the ball. I have H50BMG for the AP later on.. Searched the web on a good starting measure of powder but nothing definitive. Would 200 gr be a good starting point or should I go a little higher like 210?
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#30]
218gr of wc860 with an M33 bullet seated to the cannelure is a fairly accurate load in most rifles.
The Hornady 50bmg powder measure works well.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
218gr of wc860 with an M33 bullet seated to the cannelure is a fairly accurate load in most rifles.
The Hornady 50bmg powder measure works well.
View Quote

Mr. Ben,
Good thing I am not doing any major reloading lots. I use a large Lee powder dipper and it takes about 4.5 dippers. I just keep filling the measure pan till I get to 218grs. Not real fast. LOL
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#32]
You guys reloading with the Lee, does it seem real easy to seat the primers? I'm used to using a hand primer so this is new to me using a press. Even used a plastic rod to see if they would push out. Just seems strange.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Some go in easy some go in easier. Depends on how the pocket is prepared. Remember you have a lot of mechanical advantage.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You guys reloading with the Lee, does it seem real easy to seat the primers? I'm used to using a hand primer so this is new to me using a press. Even used a plastic rod to see if they would push out. Just seems strange.
View Quote

I know what you mean. Thats a lot of pressure on the primer with so little effort on press handle. Remember to give it just a wee more pressure to actually set the primer.All of my primers are flat with the dome removed once I have set them. Not to be confused with the radius still on the edge of the primer.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:12:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I seat CCI#35 primers into "uniformed" primer pockets with the concave RCBS primer punch and then "arm" them by flattening to a 70-80% flat surface (removing the dome). The LEE primer seater does not provide for this practice, but seating with their system works just fine. Just be careful to get primer started square in pocket that has been properly prepped.

Practice does make perfect.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Just a pic of one of the few I did....
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Went ahead and loaded, 205, 207.5, 210, 212.5, 215, 216 and 217 grains of WC-860. Now to wait for a semi warm day. With all the snow, 30 will work. Good increase of powder? Being the 1st time with 50BMG, don't want to make any mistakes. Did not crimp as I will load 1 at a time by hand instead of using the magazine.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#39]
The only thing I don't get, is why are you guys full length resizing brass that was fired in your rifle?
Neck sizing should be plenty. The brass has fire-formed to your chamber.
Yeah, I understand the need to full length size for milsurp 1X, but prepped brass is readily available.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#40]
For the most part I agree with your Steve and I full size about every 3rd time. Seems if I dong I start having problems with the shell being just a bit to tight and I have to give the bolt handle a little whack closed and same again to open the bolt.  Maybe part of my problem is that I have a tight chamber and have to trim the neck of the brass?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Hm... FL resize won't negate the need to trim back to max.
My Watson is old, and I can only speak for how I feed it. YMMV
I trim, using the KB tool, after every firing, and neck size. I notice no difference, between my 10x fired, and new, when loading or extracting.
That may be because I'm not paying attention to those parts of the cycle, or it may be that my bolt screws in.

I get between 10 and 15 loadings before I start to see that frosting of the brass, of a headsep about to happen.

As soon as I see that, it goes into the melt bucket, for brass casting.

Again, Your Mileage May Vary
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Is there certain 50BMG brass to stay away from? Most of my brass is LC but have a few FA 49-50 I acquired. The FA is a bit heavier. From my research on FA, its machine gun brass. No problem resizing it. Looks fine. Would presume the heavier brass would be better/stronger for reloading. Would this be correct?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#43]
My FA-49 brass worked up just fine, but the weight of the cases varied greatly.
I use this brass for plinking purposes, but may soon give it to a new shooter.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Will us it for the ball bullets I have and LC for the AP.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#45]
I forgot to mention, in my previous post, I anneal the necks after every three loadings.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top