Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 11:43:25 PM EDT
Howdy guys!

I know a lot of my customers post here so I figured it would be a good way to share some awesome news. Pat Bieck, one of our brothers (Ferret50 owner/shooter) set a new World Record at a FCSA (1000yd) match in Alliance, NE. The class was Unlimited Gun and the group measured 2.045" with a score of 50x2. This group is the second smallest on record and only .075" away from the absolute smallest for all classes.

Congratulations to Pat, who I know has worked very hard for several years perfecting his technique to achieve this accomplishment.

I cant express how excited I am that we have crossed this milestone, the culmination of many years of hard work and taking the higher, less traveled path. It wouldn't have been possible without the support of my awesome customers thoughout the years. Thank you very much!

Dave

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:42:37 AM EDT
[#1]
holy cow !! that's a 1,000 yds group ???
I'd be happy to shoot that at 200 yds  

congratulations !!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#2]
damn
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Outstanding!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Remarkable!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been going back and forth about buying another 50BMG.  I talked to Dave last week.  Great guy to talk to and seeing these type of posts really pushes me to purchasing a Ferret 50.

I also would like to hear the specs of your rifle that yielded that group.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys!

To be honest, the shooter is the most important element when talking groups like this. Yes, the gun must support that level of shooting, as does the scope, rests, ammo and it helps a lot to have near perfect conditions. Anyone who has shot Alliance knows that perfect conditions rarely exist there. Well, the match had been delayed 3 hours due to rain but when it cleared it was dead calm and Pat was ready to take advantage of the opportunity to show us what he could do. I admire all shooters who go to match after match, shooting group after group, working their system and holding themselves to a high level of performance. Its partly a numbers game and you have to be on for that rare opportunity and that will only come when you are out there doing it on a regular basis.

Im waiting on pictures from Pat and will be talking to him later this week to get the whole scoop. Im thinking this is worthy of an article or two and may just have to write one of them. For now though I can share what is public information and still maintain respect of privacy for what this competitor is doing. The rifle is one of our Supercomps, so its our upper on our steel lower. Im not sure if he was using our monopod or has it in a rear rest. The front for sure is in a rest and he built an attachment, similar to our front support, to ride the bag. I know that a couple years ago he rebarrled the rifle and the big improvement there is the chamber. At the time we didn't have a good borerider chamber (now we do) and this is necessary to get the most out of the awesome bullets that are available. He was also using an Armalite brake.

I will also try to get more info on his ammo and loading.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Dave,
Good to see you post again here on AR15. Sorry I have along with a few others shamelessly been beating the drum about our Ferrets. Good to hear that someone has been able to wring out the accuracy of their Ferret.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
holy cow !! that's a 1,000 yds group ???
I'd be happy to shoot that at 200 yds  

congratulations !!
View Quote

This!

That is impressive as hell!Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#10]
AWSOME!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#11]
nice--congrats!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, have no other words
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Those of us that were there at Alliance were highly excited for Patrick. I was working the Pits during that relay and on the opposite end scoring another shooters target. My shooter was keeping me busy with his 35"+ group, but the hubdub in the pits was what was happening on target 3. After seeing the group, I called the line for a dial caliper to measure the group. I believe I heard a roar of excitement of all shooters on the Line after that announcement. Patrick and others showed up in a car with caliper. Due to threat of rain, I had target removed from frame and replaced with a new target. The Record target was set such that if rain occurred it could be placed inside easily. After the initial measurement was completed, I pushed Patrick and Randy, our Alliance Match Directors, to hurry up to complete before it rained. We did complete about 1 hour before heavy rains occurred that would have destroyed the Targets.
I gave the 8GB SDHD chip from my camera to Patrick so he could write up his version of the Match Report, which is his FCSA Match Directors responsibility. Randy is a contributing writer to this document which will be published in our FCSA VHP magazine.

By the way, I won the Unlimited Class for both Score and Aggregate Group. I was using an AR-50 action which I rebarreled to a 34" Feddersen barrel and uses an A-max Match Chamber (???) and 808 grain brass Lehigh bore-riders with 244 grains of 20N29.

Note to all about Patrick, he is a very nice guy who has EARNED all the honors he receives for this accomplishment. In another Class he was shooting, one of his turret knobs fell off his scope. He finished that Class of competition by holding the internals of the scope in place using his off-hand index finger. He still did well.

Dave, if possible, quit using the State Arms muzzle brake and use the Armalite muzzle brake instead. Availability will be an issue, I have tested both on my State Arms rifle and the Armalite brake is best by a wide margin. (Patrick was shooting a highly specialized bullet - he will need to divulge the secrets of that design and material.)
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#14]
In June 2010, I shot a 5-shot group that measured 4.938" center-to-center at Alliance in conditions similar to Patrick's.
That Match was rained out and declared a FUN Match.
Several years later, Patrick shot a 4.750" group for which I congratulated him and said thanks for raising the bar.
I have worked to shoot better groups with outstanding 4-shot groups only to have my 4th shot go elsewhere and 5th back where it belongs.
While struggling with my groups, I see Patrick and his Dad, Frank who started shooting at age 75, continue to improve with their ability and placings.
They as a team usually place very high in all the scores.

Patrick deserves all the HONORS he receives.

NOW I need the get back to work on developing a new more consistent loading for my rifle. Patrick has raised the bar again.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Its cool and all. Shows how far the industry has come and is going. But its kinda hard to get excited when its a gun that weighs what 50lbs? 3 foot wide bipods and who know what kind of rear rest. I watched some bullseye thing on tv with 50's and the dam guns weighted so much they had little kids out there shooting them and the dam gun didnt hardly move. It really takes the fun out of it when its more like a robot your messing with rather than a gun. Still cool to see what the perfect conditions and gun can do.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Sure it takes a really good gun, but this is just one part of the whole. There is the ammo, weather conditions. And a shooter that knows when to add some English to the hold. Hell I shot some .22LR comp some years back. One piece rest, adjustments for wind-age and elevation. Tickle the trigger and let it slide back an inch or two in recoil. Slide it back to the front stop after manually reloading. But the difference was who could read the breeze or wind. That little pill would blow all over the place at 50 yrds with a half inch bulls-eye. So, I know there is more to it than a gun that weighs 50 lbs and hardly moves in recoil. And we aren't talking about a target that is a stone throw away.

So my friend, you sound like sour grapes. Why so?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Not sure what you were watching, but Patrick's Ferret50 does not weigh 50 pounds, does not use a 3 foot wide bipod, and the Armalite muzzle brake severely reduces felt recoil. My daughter when 12 was shooting my stock AR-50. Patrick's gun or mine are not rail-guns, we shoot the same guns in Heavy Class.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Patrick has worked very hard to become a great shooter.
Regardless of the rests, or the gun, the shooter has to be able to read the winds and the conditions to shoot well.

Congratulations to Dave at Spider Arms for building a great rifle.

Patrick was shooting a Cutting Edge 802 solid copper bullet.
Cutting Edge is a great company to work with and makes solids for all calibers.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:23:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Who's got pics of his rig on the bench and ammo.... Bet it's purdy!
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top