Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2014 3:06:00 PM EDT
Now what?  

I've been wanting a .50bmg forever - and I finally got a chance to trade for one in the EE right here on ARFcom.

I know it's not that fancy - but it's what I could get.  

I picked it up this morning - stole the Pentax (lifetime warranty) off my LR-308 SASS - and plan on a test firing tomorrow.

Right now Northern Maine is still pretty much buried in snow - so there's no chance to get any type of distance out of it for the time being.

My question is - when I sight the damn thing in - are there any tricks to it?  (Like sighting my 308 in at 25yrds and having it close at 100yrds)  

What distance do you recommend for the initial "getting it on paper"?

The terrain around here really only allows 200-300 yards worth of distance (after the current ice age moves on that is).

If all else fails - at least I get to join yet another section of ARFcom.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you're going to need taller rings.

Nice boom stick.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you're going to need taller rings.

Nice boom stick.
View Quote

It's all I could get today.  

Local shop where I hang out didn't have any - had to buy a Wal-Mart - Millett one piece jobby.  I need it for the morning to show off - headed to the range with some friends.  

After that they are getting swapped out.

I didn't like the way it held in front of the trigger assembly - so I made use of those two short screws.  Took a hand file to a Magpul rail piece and modified it to fit - installed an angled foregrip.  Feels pretty comfortable - we'll see.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the club. I have yet to shoot mine that I put together a few months ago. Dam knee surgery and bad weather has me on hold for a bit. Still haven't found a scope but leaning toward a SWFA 20X42.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Aww yes, the old LAR Grizzly. Whenever I see one of these I think of Bert from the movie Tremors 2. Nice little 50.

I used one of those Aimshot bore lasers to sight in at 50 yards. Once doing good on paper I fine tuned at 100yds and finally to 300 yds, the longest distance my range has. I don't know if you've shot a 50 before but the best advice I have is watch your eye relief on your scope. It's best to have 3.5 inches + and hang on tight. Don't want a case of scope eye your first time out Have fun and enjoy that new toy!
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:34:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Aww yes, the old LAR Grizzly. Whenever I see one of these I think of Bert from the movie Tremors 2. Nice little 50.

I used one of those Aimshot bore lasers to sight in at 50 yards. Once doing good on paper I fine tuned at 100yds and finally to 300 yds, the longest distance my range has. I don't know if you've shot a 50 before but the best advice I have is watch your eye relief on your scope. It's best to have 3.5 inches + and hang on tight. Don't want a case of scope eye your first time out Have fun and enjoy that new toy!
View Quote

Thanks man!  I'll heed your advice.  First time I ever shot my 7mm mag when I was a kit I knocked my hat off.  Since then, I respect recoil.  

I watched some tool split himself wide open with a  .270 last year...  I was shooting handgun and this guy set up behind me at the .50 and proceeded to fire past me....   I just about went ape shit.  

When I got back to him - I saw that the gun had already done my work for me - split his face right open.  Dude had to go to the hospital.  

Wasn't as satisfying - but at least I didn't end up in jail.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Fun you will have but with those rings you will need a cheek weld lift kit to get your eye level with the scope
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome aboard Bo and congrats on making the jump.  I'm a recent inductee myself.  I wouldn't fire that rifle with that scope mount though.  With those rings so close together, you are bound to get tube oscillation when firing.  I always wondered about firing a bull pup 50......that's alot of violence on the other side of your cheek!  It sure wouldn't be pretty if that chamber opened up.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I shoulder fired a few rounds yesterday.  (I'm not a fan of prone in the snow - unless I'm shooting a Finn Mosin)  

This thing is a kitten.  Of course I'm 6'1 - 240lbs - so that might make a difference.

And here we were all worried at the range.  No problem.

Pretty fun.

Edit - my boss however couldn't hold it up very well - so his form was a little off.  He was leaning back...  and it sat him down in the snow.    He said it felt like someone pushed him off balance and then tossed him a bar-bell.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget to post your pic in the 50 BMG photo section. Nice to scroll through and see different set ups. Funny to hear it put your boss on his ass.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like you got a nice 50. There's no way that would work for me though since I have to shoot rifles left handed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:33:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I shoot my LAR left handed, works just fine.  The recoil is harder than a Serbu, AR-50, any Barrett and the SR-25.  I was always getting hit in the glasses with the shorter eye relief 32x Premier Reticle modified MKIV scope.  I fixed that by making the brake twice as wide and venting gases to the rear at an angle.

The supplied Harris bipid is completely inadequate for the job, so I made a long plate that attaches to the underside for use on a sandbag.  I recently modified it to hold a much sturdier homemade bipod that swivels and allows a level hold on uneven ground

My LAR is a 2 moa gun with Amax past 500 yards.  I found a slight raised area on the crown after about 2000 rounds; not sure if it is something original from the factory or something I did as I only found it the first time I removed the brake several years after buying it.  Still need to test it with match quality ammo to see if this changes anything.

I should have my silencer finished for it by July.

Randy
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#13]
It is definitely a rush everytime I shoot mine welcome to the club!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I love shooting my Windrunner almost as much as letting 50bmg virgins shoot it.  The brake makes it painless to a shooter, to the extent that I routinely shoot it without my shoulder touching the stock.  Sadly, the brake manufacturer is now out of business.  I now wish I'd bought two when I could have.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Boy, a friend of mine had a Grizzly.  Holy damn what a miserably painful shooter.  Made me nervous to shoot my 99 when I got it.  Wow, what a night and day difference.  Just like with the poster above, I don't even have to shoulder my Barrett.  

Nice rifle, though!  Very well built.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had two other problems with my LAR.  The first was a very sticky bolt.  I broke three bolt handles opening the action after firing the first year I had it.  I sent it back to LAR for their free bolt modification and now it extracts much better.  The other issue was the small tack weld that holds the barreled action to the shroud (which in turn attaches to the scope mount) broke.  I cleaned it up and made a strudier tack which still holds today.

Randy
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've had two other problems with my LAR.  The first was a very sticky bolt.  I broke three bolt handles opening the action after firing the first year I had it.  I sent it back to LAR for their free bolt modification and now it extracts much better.  The other issue was the small tack weld that holds the barreled action to the shroud (which in turn attaches to the scope mount) broke.  I cleaned it up and made a strudier tack which still holds today.

Randy
View Quote

Had the sticky bolt issue with mine, back in the day. LAR fixed it for me.

Sadly, I never did get decent accuracy with my Grizzly (something like 4-6 MOA), so I ended up selling it after the "it's a 50BMG WOOHOO!!!" novelty wore off, and stepping up to a Noreen. Now? I'm tiring of the crappy bipod that Noreen includes, but don't want to spend $250 for their upgraded bipod, as I'm also tired of the shellholder single shot design.

I think I may step over to a Safety Harbor, or perhaps the Ultralite. I want mag fed, and something "portable."

Welcome to the addiction. Hope you have fun!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had mine about 14 years now, and yes, that is still the original scope. It's a Burris Signature. I'm also still using the original Harris bipod. I had the factory brake on it until a couple years ago. This one is much better, but I never complained about the original, and I'm only 5'6 150, must be a lot of pussies out there I've shot smaller caliber rifles that were a lot worse that this rifle with the original brake on it. I've shot sub 1 MOA with it out to 1,000 yds, just check the FSCA score sheets.

Not my best group, but my best score

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Sweet, the Chrome version. Sub MOA at 1000, good shooting!

Bert shooting the LAR Grizzly in Tremors 2

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:00:57 AM EDT
[#20]

It's actually nickle finish. I polished it last year. That wasn't easy holding a 30 lb rifle under a buffing wheel.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's actually nickle finish. I polished it last year. That wasn't easy holding a 30 lb rifle under a buffing wheel.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wonder how much it would cost to have it coated in Nickel Boron?
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Ok, so I finally found some low rings.  

I bought a set of UTG "low profile" rings that just happened to be about the same height as my first foolish Millet mount.  

So I got rid of those and got this nice set of Weaver Tactical Low mount rings.  6 torx head screws on each ring.  Should be pretty solid.

Headed out to the range to sight it in tomorrow - if the weather holds.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok.  Range report.  

We got the police called on us.  

Apparently it was too loud for the neighbors of the pit.  We shoot in this pit all of the time - but two neighbors told the police that "bullets were flying over their house!"  

The pit wall is 60ft tall - and I know right where my rounds were going - a tilled up hole of fresh dirt right behind the target.  

The best part - The state trooper who got the call....  is one of the owners of the pit and is usually down there with us!  

Other than that - it shoots great!

I only got out to about 150yrds before we got shut down.  

We left them a parting gift though...  a 4lb tannerite blast.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#24]
To bad the complainers didn't get there ass chewed for false reporting from the cop. Any video of the shoot?
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#25]
My buddy's wife got the tannerite going off on video - he ended up taking it with his AR10.

My last shot was about 4 inches to the right when we got shut down.

The owners of the pit agreed that the 50 should be put away until another day.  

I dialed it in today at the local range though.

Here's some pics - the pit was the other day - the range was this morning.

Poor PS3.  

Where did the PS3 and wooden toolbox go!?

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Thats just plain friggin cool. Can't wait to get my scope and try some distant shooting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Great action shots. Someone's always gotta call the cops. 50's seem to attract attention, good and bad. That pic of the guns hanging on the peg-board looks like a well stocked gun store or Bert & Reba's underground gun room . Nice display!
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Great action shots. Someone's always gotta call the cops. 50's seem to attract attention, good and bad. That pic of the guns hanging on the peg-board looks like a well stocked gun store or Bert & Reba's underground gun room . Nice display!
View Quote

I left the good stuff out of the picture...  

Might as well post it - the Government knows about the NFA stuff already anyway.  

Edit - I robbed the stock off my SBR AR15 and haven't replaced it yet...  I know...  Ghetto.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#29]
If this photo doesn't give you a woody, nothing will. Awesome collection.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff422/CBPO/IMG_20140429_193744889.jpg

Might as well post it - the Government knows about the NFA stuff already anyway.  

Edit - I robbed the stock off my SBR AR15 and haven't replaced it yet...  I know...  Ghetto.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff422/CBPO/IMG_20140429_193744889.jpg

Ditto, that is a nice collection. I had many of those in the past. I see you also like Bullpups. I recently sold my PS90 and now only have a Steryr AUG. I think that's why I like the compact 50's, I like compact guns in general. That hanger system, very cool. Are those just board slats and then the specialized brackets?

Reba & Burt's gunwall. They have more, but I'd say you have cooler LOL

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#31]
It's a slat wall thingy I found at Lowe's.  The hangers come in "single post" and "dual hanger" variations.  Both are plastic/rubber coated - so it makes it great for hanging guns.

The 50 stresses the board quite a bit - I had to add some extra screws.  
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top