Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2017 10:58:24 AM EDT
After more than a dozen years of loyal service, my FN SPR is light striking.  

I am ordering a new spring but cannot figure out how to get the assembly apart to replace it.

Anyone gone through this before?

Thanks for any help or instruction you can provide.

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I did it on my Model 70 Winchester which is the same bolt to put a heavier spring in.

I took a piece of flat metal plate and drilled a hole on the edge that only had three sides and one side open to where the firing pin could be lifted out and pressed through but not big enough that the retaining 3/4 moon washer would not go through.  I vise the plate and using the palm of my hand I place the bolt hand and pushed the firing pin through the plate compressing the spring and had my friend knock the washer out.  Then just reversed the process to put it back on.

Also if you have a 98 Mauser you can use the hole in the stock for the purpose as well.

When I get home I will take a picture of the plate to show you what I mean because describing it is more difficult than a picture.

In case I forget send me an IM to do this.  Sometimes I get side tracked at work and forget.

This is the spring I used in 30#
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/312629/wolff-extra-power-firing-pin-spring-winchester-70
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a lot man, I totally understand, and I was able to get it apart in short order by pulling the spring down and having my daughter slide that half moon out.  

Much appreciated!

/Fargo007
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks a lot man, I totally understand, and I was able to get it apart in short order by pulling the spring down and having my daughter slide that half moon out.  

Much appreciated!

/Fargo007
View Quote
HAHA that is the hard way especially when you up to weight of the spring but having a 3rd and 4th hand for sure helps.  Did you change weight when you swapped the spring?  I noticed an improved trigger pull with the 30# spring and it is supposed to reduce the time between trigger break and primer strike to improve accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top