Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/6/2017 6:47:43 PM EDT
So I'm going to be picking up a fde scar 16 on Sunday to work into the role as my primary carbine.

Kinda bored of 5.56 AR's and converted them over to Grendel's for more of a precision role.

That said I've got a four phase upgrade plan I'm going to set in motion. Please share your thoughts.

Phase 1:
PMM moe grip Completed
Mount for aimpoint pro. It's currently in a LT-150 but I think it's going to sit too high. Is the LT-152 (RAS) a better choice?

Phase 2:
Midwest socom m lok 4" rail. Completed

Phase 3:
Wait till a Geissele trigger sale happens and get a super scar. Pending fathers day sales

Phase 4:
File form 1 going to keep this one non NFA and pin at 14.5 using a YHM QD mount for my can.

Questions for you guys:
What mags do I need to use with this? Are usgi mags the way to go? I've got a boat load of the brownells 20 & 30 rounders.

I've read only certain generations of pmags work well due to concerns with the bolt release.

Teach me the ways
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
my 16 and I love the Lancer mags.

Adam D.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I would do the trigger 1st.

And we found the LT150 works just fine. The wife has the LT150 with an Aimpoint Pro on her SCAR.

Gen 3 Pmags should work just fine. However, should you have any older versions you can cut a square notch in the back of the Pmags to clear the bolt hold open. We did that on a dozen older Pmags we had and they now work great in her SCAR.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I would jump on the trigger but $254 sale price vs $325 will keep me waiting for a week or two.

If nothing pops up soon I'll just get one then.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Fin,

I'd steer you towards an absolute cowitness height for whatever optic you go with. I found the 1/3 mount to be to high on a Scar.

If you plan on doing a Form 1, I do not see the point in getting an extended rail for it if you're going to have to eventually take it off. May as well get used to shooting it as is.  I use the ParkerMountain Machine rail elimination panels to make the front end significantly more narrow and easier to get your hand around.

I use a mix of USGI, Lancer's, and Gen 3 PMAGs and all work well (Older Gen will cause excessive wear on the bolt like you mentioned). Although I like the way the factory mags look they perform more like old USGI mags with green followers.

The Geissele trigger is almost a must have but I agree that you should wait for a sale.

I feel like I've been following your builds for years now so good luck with this one. (For reference I'm the guy who built that shorty AES10B a few years back)

Here's mine for motivation.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the organization of a phased upgrade lol

The grip is a great upgrade.  Well worth it for me on mine.  I went with the Hogue grip made by Hi Desert Dog.  I would agree that is a cheap and easy early upgrade.
The 150 mount will make the optic sit high, but it depends on how you hold your head and your comfort level.  I tried a low mount and it was just not comfortable with it, felt like I was looking "down".  So the 150 (and other Larue tall mounts) are what I use.

Phase 2 - great choice on a rail.  Give KDG rails a look too.

Phase 3 - The super scar trigger seems to be super popular.  I must be the oddball, but after my stock trigger was broken in - I really like it.  The super scar though feels like smooth glass, can't deny how great it feels.

Phase 4 - Yes!

Mags:  I have older Pmags and newer Pmags for my ARs.  To keep myself from screwing up and grabbing an older Pmag that is no good for my SCAR, I only run Lancers or USGIs in my SCAR.  It loves them both.  Never had an issue with any Lancer mags ever.

Something additional to think of - you may want to look at changing your muzzle device.  See what suits you.  I have a Battlecomp on mine and that muzzle just never moves.

Congrats on getting a 16.  Like others have said on the forum, a regular AR does everything the 16 will do but the 16 does it all really well.  Ran mine through a handful of carbine
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the input guys!

Realistically I'll shoot this for a while as a non sbr (yes I know go on and file...) but I've got stamps pending at the moment and frankly annoyed at the whole 41P deal. I'll file - just probably later this summer (have to get prints etc... done. )

For the muzzle device I'll toss one of my YHM mounts on there to use my can. Which leads me to ask - kick the gas setting to suppressed correct when I have my can on?

So the handguard question - the KDG rail looks nice but the most expensive of the bunch. I was thinking about getting the shorter mlok rail that @midwestindustries offers. I think it adds 4" - which will let me use my mlok scout mount on it. Wish they had pics of it on a rifle but I can't find any for the life of me.  

For mags I've got a smorgasbord of pmags and usgi ones. I think I'll use my D&H "panic buy" mags that are still in the plastic with the magpul followers. This way as pointed out I won't use any older pmags by accident. Helps too when I've got 40 of em .

Will snag some lancers too - assume they function worry free based on y'alls feedback.

I'll try out the lt150 first and see what I think before going any shorter. Have an aimpoint pro (prefer 30mm aimpoints) sitting without a home so it will be used.

Is the 50/200 the preferred zero on these or something different due to height over bore?

This is exciting. I'll load up 20 or so mags for Sunday and hit the range right after I snag it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I'm the guy who built that shorty AES10B a few years back)
View Quote
Love it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Phase 4 needs to be moved up to phase 1. Seriously get those forms moving, the sooner it's sent the sooner you will get it back.

Phase 2 should be grip upgrade and PMM safety upgrade. The stock ones are just a bit too short, especially when trying to manipulate from prone.

As far as mags go all mags will work including gen 2 pmags with an easy mod that takes a few seconds.

Father's Day sale you will be able to find the super scar for around $250.

As stated above I too would hold off on the extended rail. It just adds weight and since you are form 1ing the rifle no need. It handles and balances really well as is.

Other upgrades to consider are qd sling mounts and charging handle. I also use an absolute mount on my scar and 1/3 mounts on all my AR's.

You will love the scar, it's a great platform and you will be shocked at how much cleaner it stays vs the AR.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#9]
So on the form 1.

Everyone seems to go to 10". I get it the cqc variant is 10".

What's the consensus on cutting at 12.5"? It's my favorite barrel length for 5.56 as it still gives good ooomph out to 600y. (Based solely on my expierence shooting plates with the 10.3,11.5, and 12.5)
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're going to go through the hassle of the post 41F form 1 go with a 10 or 10.5. They just look right with the shorter barrel.

If you don't want to go that short then I think cutting to 14 inches and pinning might be a better way to go if you want a little more velocity and skip the form 1.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:53:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you're going to go through the hassle of the post 41F form 1 go with a 10 or 10.5. They just look right with the shorter barrel.

If you don't want to go that short then I think cutting to 14 inches and pinning might be a better way to go if you want a little more velocity and skip the form 1.
View Quote
Not a bad idea actually. Would allow me to quickly cross state lines without 5320.

After thinking about it I think this is the way I'm going to go. It would be my only non NFA rifle outside of my rpr and give me flexibility for travel.

I guess adco is the place to go? Would I need to make gas system adjustments taking off 1.5" of barrel?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Have you seen the PMM Mlok Rail Extension?  It'll give you one Mlok panel to mount your light on and its about as small as you can get.

http://www.parkermountainmachine.com/store/p122/PMM_SCAR_16%2F17_Mlok_Rail_Extension_%28MRE%29.html
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats! I really like the Shooting Sight trigger.

ETA: I use the stock mags. They work great and are extremely durable.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Parker mountain machine specializes in SCARs and he has all the different size gas jet ports for sale. This is the route you should go. Cutting down to 14 inches you may not even have to mess with the gas system though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#15]
According to the military manual sights are zeroed for 25/300 meters for the 14" and 16" barrels, 25/200 meters for the 10" barrel. Though I think it's closer to a 36/300 true zero or something. The manual shows how low you should be hitting at 25m. Center the rear sight and use the front sight to adjust windage and elevation.

As you know the Geissele trigger is nice. Though I will say the only reason my 16 has one is because I got it on sale. The factory one was good enough to where I really didn't need to replace it, but I prefer two stage triggers.

I'm not sure about other places, but when PMM cuts a barrel they insert the correct size gas screw for the new length.

For mags I've just ran all Gen 3 Pmags. The requirements for mags are anything STANAG compatible due to how the bolt catch is set up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Congrats on the purchase.  I hated the recoil impulse on mine. Sold it for an SR15.  Could not be happier.

Get the trigger first, and buy the rail extension and eliminator panels from PMM.  I even had Jared pin and weld my 16s to 16.1".

Sell the MI rail.  It's too heavy.  

I still have my two 17s, though.  Love the 308 in the platform.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Congrats on the purchase.  I hated the recoil impulse on mine. Sold it for an SR15.  Could not be happier.

Get the trigger first, and buy the rail extension and eliminator panels from PMM.  I even had Jared pin and weld my 16s to 16.1".

I still have my two 17s, though.  Love the 308 in the platform.
View Quote
Interesting on the recoil. I've heard quite the opposite from friends who shoot heavily with them.

I cut my teeth on the AK platform as my entry into MSR's so a heavy carrier movement isn't foreign to me.

Looked at the KAC offerings but I'm tired of AR's. I've built pretty much any configuration I've wanted to date and frankly bored of them. Don't get me wrong the old Mod 1's are sex but the only thing keeping me interested in the AR platform is the Grendel, which I am a big big fan of.

12.5" Grendel barrel should arrive today from BA to complete the super mini Recce.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Interesting on the recoil. I've heard quite the opposite from friends who shoot heavily with them.

I cut my teeth on the AK platform as my entry into MSR's so a heavy carrier movement isn't foreign to me.

Looked at the KAC offerings but I'm tired of AR's. I've built pretty much any configuration I've wanted to date and frankly bored of them. Don't get me wrong the old Mod 1's are sex but the only thing keeping me interested in the AR platform is the Grendel, which I am a big big fan of.

12.5" Grendel barrel should arrive today from BA to complete the super mini Recce.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164007/IMG-2379-225152.JPG
View Quote
As for the recoil, I only put 300 rounds through it.  Just didn't do it for me.  Did you read the thread from the owner of Battlefield Vegas about the 16?  He states that they run forever with little maintenance.  Like 30-50k rounds before bolt failure.  

Enjoy it
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I did see his thread. It was a metric that played heavily in my decision.  

Did get some time on a Bren and tavor but couldn't find an acr to shoot. For a non AR this ended up looking like the best option on the market.

Agreed though the 17s is awesome. Sold mine to a fellow arfcommer as I didn't want to adopt yet another caliber when I'm so deep in the 6.5's.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 7:08:46 AM EDT
[#20]
What's the preferred bullet weight for blasting ?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 7:18:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fin,

I'd steer you towards an absolute cowitness height for whatever optic you go with. I found the 1/3 mount to be to high on a Scar.

If you plan on doing a Form 1, I do not see the point in getting an extended rail for it if you're going to have to eventually take it off. May as well get used to shooting it as is.  I use the ParkerMountain Machine rail elimination panels to make the front end significantly more narrow and easier to get your hand around.

I use a mix of USGI, Lancer's, and Gen 3 PMAGs and all work well (Older Gen will cause excessive wear on the bolt like you mentioned). Although I like the way the factory mags look they perform more like old USGI mags with green followers.

The Geissele trigger is almost a must have but I agree that you should wait for a sale.

I feel like I've been following your builds for years now so good luck with this one. (For reference I'm the guy who built that shorty AES10B a few years back)

Here's mine for motivation.
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa327/drewdasponge/70BA865B-3F36-4587-B099-9F5C01C34CBF_zpswaahkoul.jpg
View Quote
Nice gun
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I only use USGI 30rds with my 16.  Never had any mag related problem of any kind with any of the Scars I've owned.

Ran another 140rds thru it this morning.  The TA31H is dead on at 100, 200, 400 yards (using the reticle dot, post and 400 hash respectively).  It's zero'd at 100.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I shoot 55.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I hated the recoil impulse on mine.

View Quote
The recoil impulse is the most difficult "difference" (SCAR vs AR) to overcome.  That, and the awful factory trigger.  The trigger issue is easy to remedy (Super Scar).

I don't understand why everyone adds nose-heavy weight to an already chubby gun.  The 16 isn't a featherweight ... is looking cool and/or using today's fad hold (support hand dangerously close to the muzzle...that PWS brake is vicious) that important?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#25]
My Scar wears a TA31H in a LaRue LT622 mount, ladder covers (front bottom / side rails), and a sling.  I can clamp my Surefire Scout on if needed.

What else does a fighting gun need?

The extended rail deal is getting goofy.  I hate seeing 15" rails on 14.5" ARs
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine's been on a steady diet of Wolf steel cased 55gr. Interestingly enough it has the same POI as GGG M855 at 100 yards for me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Mine's been on a steady diet of Wolf steel cased 55gr. Interestingly enough it has the same POI as GGG M855 at 100 yards for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good.

I've got:

6k of Wolf 55 grain
4k of Wolf 62 grain
1k of Tula 55 grain
3k of Wolf Gold

and ordered 2k of the Magtech 62 grain this morning

Planned on a steady diet of wolf as we have to police our brass at the range in the carbine pits. Its much easier to use a magnet than my back

Quoted:

The recoil impulse is the most difficult "difference" (SCAR vs AR) to overcome.  That, and the awful factory trigger.  The trigger issue is easy to remedy (Super Scar).

I don't understand why everyone adds nose-heavy weight to an already chubby gun.  The 16 isn't a featherweight ... is looking cool and/or using today's fad hold (support hand dangerously close to the muzzle...that PWS brake is vicious) that important?
This is what is showing up today. 4oz isn't much to complain about to get a little more room. I don't "c" grip anything but my comfortable position is around the fsb/gb so that was a must have for this.

The PWS is coming off and a YHM QD flash hider is going on for my can.... which adds weight to the front as well
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine loves 55 grain. Looking forward to a range report.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I should also note that a buddy of mine bought some reloads (yeah I know) from a mutual acquaintance of ours, I guess his grandpa made them up back in the 90's. Anyways he was having all sorts of trouble in his AR with the ammo, some of the shoulders definitely looked a little funky, most of it wouldn't chamber. For poops and laughs I offered to see if it would fire in my 16S since he just wanted the brass anyways. It was about 100 rounds and it gobbled it all up like kid eating candy on November 1st. That thing has just gone though anything I've fed it and asked for more.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#30]
90 rounds so far and it's pretty slick.

Don't get the fuss about the recoil, it's a pussycat. Reminds me of the SLR-106 I had.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Love my recently purchased 16s.

okay industries mags have been 100% reliable and drop free. None of my pmags fit for shit or drop free, gen 2 and 3.

i have about 400 rounds through it so far, most suppressed and it seems to be getting more accurate the more I shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Usgi, gen3 20/30 pmags, and lancers work and drop in mine.

I can't help myself. The paint cameout once I was home.

Attachment Attached File

I'm thinking a Steiner 1-4 p4xi would be slick on this. Had no issue with plates out to 300 using the aimpoint though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164007/IMG-2450-228374.JPG

I'm thinking a Steiner 1-4 p4xi would be slick on this. Had no issue with plates out to 300 using the aimpoint though.
View Quote
Looks good, I been thinking of getting a mount for my viper 1-4 to try out but idk.

i already have a peq, m620 and a surefire dual switch adding a bit a weight as it is.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164007/IMG-2450-228374.JPG

View Quote
Nice paint job.  Nothing is sexier than a little rattle can on a quality rifle.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Gen2 drop free in mine.  I've had another 16 that wouldn't allow Gen 2 or 3 to drop (or seat well).
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Nice paint job.  Nothing is sexier than a little rattle can on a quality rifle.
View Quote
Agreed, except when it's a FDE SCAR. Only black SCAR's should see paint.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Agreed, except when it's a FDE SCAR. Only black SCAR's should see paint.
View Quote
Upper was too gold for my liking.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Shot my 16 yesterday.  Thinking of painting my eotech.  Might as well add another shade of fde.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I fired my 16 over the weekend too.  Its black so it wasn't accurate as the cool FDE units .
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Upper was too gold for my liking.
View Quote
I've seen the uppers run from a puke-greenish tint to pimp-gold to something that can only be described as "80's light bronze".  None of these have particularly appealed to my keen aesthetic senses. (However, I'd still like to have a FDE 16...have had a couple but sold them to buy ammo).
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I've seen the uppers run from a puke-greenish tint to pimp-gold to something that can only be described as "80's light bronze".  None of these have particularly appealed to my keen aesthetic senses. (However, I'd still like to have a FDE 16...have had a couple but sold them to buy ammo).
View Quote
I'd of let it be if it was the puke green. Love that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Love it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 17 is puke green.  I have another 16 that is the gold.  Really early model.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I want a green 17.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#45]
So once silencer shop opens up their form 1 services this month I'll file. They have my prints and photo due to use of the kiosk (which is badass) and it's just that much easier.

In the long wait period I'll source a barrel and have it cut down. Explain to me why 10" vs 10.5 or 11.5? While it will host my yhm can, i won't shoot suppressed all the time. Part of me wants to entertain 11.5 or 12.5" due to that.

My range goes to 1250y and I usually keep the 5.56"s in the 100-500y steel zone. So any extra velocity is welcome.

If I'm being foolish let me know.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
My first FDE 16 had the puke green tinted upper.  I bought that gun used, and probably enjoyed it more than any other Scar that has passed through my hands.

I'm a huge fan of painted guns...I paint a lot of ARs for myself / others.  I just haven't grown enough short-hair to paint my Scar (yet).
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So once silencer shop opens up their form 1 services this month I'll file. They have my prints and photo due to use of the kiosk (which is badass) and it's just that much easier.

In the long wait period I'll source a barrel and have it cut down. Explain to me why 10" vs 10.5 or 11.5? While it will host my yhm can, i won't shoot suppressed all the time. Part of me wants to entertain 11.5 or 12.5" due to that.

My range goes to 1250y and I usually keep the 5.56"s in the 100-500y steel zone. So any extra velocity is welcome.

If I'm being foolish let me know.
View Quote
Have you considered buying a factory SBR barrel?  I see them on GB.

Not that anyone is going to wear out a SCAR barrel (see Henderson Defense's comments about their rental SCARs), but you could probably recover a lot of your cost by selling the 16".  You would also remove the risk of damaged chrome lining at the cut or issues with not having a shoulder for the suppressor mount (flash hider, comp, whatever you chose).
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#48]
What's the issue with damaging the chrome lining ?

I've had several barrels done by adco with no ill effects.

Jarod at PMM would do the work and I'd assume he knows what he's doing to avoid any issues.

I'm leaning hard at the moment towards the 11.5-12.5 as it's the best overall win for velocity and distance. Little of my shooting to be honest is inside 100y. I run my 12.5 AR mostly on the 200-500y plates. Don't really shoot my 10.5 or 11.5 that often.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
90 rounds so far and it's pretty slick.

Don't get the fuss about the recoil, it's a pussycat. Reminds me of the SLR-106 I had.
View Quote
Recoil? theres no recoil. just that odd feel from the bolt.
its pretty nice shooter.

and youre brave. I'm a chicken shit, cant paint mine. but if i did it would be OD cerakote
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What's the issue with damaging the chrome lining ?

I've had several barrels done by adco with no ill effects.

Jarod at PMM would do the work and I'd assume he knows what he's doing to avoid any issues.

I'm leaning hard at the moment towards the 11.5-12.5 as it's the best overall win for velocity and distance. Little of my shooting to be honest is inside 100y. I run my 12.5 AR mostly on the 200-500y plates. Don't really shoot my 10.5 or 11.5 that often.
View Quote
I read on TOS about FN's chrome lining being "thick" and having a tendency to chip during the cutting process.  I don't recall the exact details or cut-shops mentioned.  Personally, I'd rather buy a factory short barrel.   Are the port sizes the same?

I hadn't heard of PMM so I googled them.  The first thing I saw was a picture of cut down SCAR barrels.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top