Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2017 11:55:04 AM EDT
Had an interesting jam yesterday while on a heli hog hunt. Had shot about 500 rounds prior to this hunt, and I think I was on my 4th mag. Shooting federal 150grn soft points. Suppressed with a SDN6. Anyways. I'm shooting at a herd and the gun locks up. I mean locks up slightly out of battery. I sat there and messed with it for 5-10 minutes trying to get the bolt to jack the round out. Finally ended up having to take apart the gun (in midair) and tapping the rear of the receiver on the floor while pushing the charging handle down. When it finally let go, the rear channel of my charging handle slot is like cracked? Wtf? are the receivers on these things that soft? It did it on both sides, identical marks but less extreme on the left side. Very disappointed in a $3,000 "battle proven rifle". Anybody here have this happen?

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, but interested in learning more.   Also about your heli hunt.  Got links and AAR?  Costs, local, number of hogs, etc.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have the stock charging handle on the gun, or aftermarket?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#3]
GG&G angled. The recoil spring assembly was out of the gun, so the charging handle wouldn't matter
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope, but interested in learning more.   Also about your heli hunt.  Got links and AAR?  Costs, local, number of hogs, etc.
View Quote

Also interested in hearing about the hunt.

I've used the Mk17 "Scar Heavy" before and never experienced anything like that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the gas jet stock? Did you have the gas regulator on suppressed setting?

Could the rifle be over gassed and you are getting battering?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
GG&G angled. The recoil spring assembly was out of the gun, so the charging handle wouldn't matter
View Quote

I misunderstood. When I read it the first time I thought you were saying the damage was caused when it was firing or something.
Thats why I asked about the charging handle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Had an interesting jam yesterday while on a heli hog hunt. Had shot about 500 rounds prior to this hunt, and I think I was on my 4th mag. Shooting federal 150grn soft points. Suppressed with a SDN6. Anyways. I'm shooting at a herd and the gun locks up. I mean locks up slightly out of battery. I sat there and messed with it for 5-10 minutes trying to get the bolt to jack the round out. Finally ended up having to take apart the gun (in midair) and tapping the rear of the receiver on the floor while pushing the charging handle down. When it finally let go, the rear channel of my charging handle slot is like cracked? Wtf? are the receivers on these things that soft? It did it on both sides, identical marks but less extreme on the left side. Very disappointed in a $3,000 "battle proven rifle". Anybody here have this happen?

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/99/e0Cz62.jpg
View Quote

You removed the recoil spring and end plate that are specifically designed to prevent the steel charging handle from impacting the aluminum receiver, and you're disappointed with the rifle? It's not the rifle's fault you were using it improperly.

FWIW, if the rifle malfunction was cleared as you described then all you needed to do was mortar it to clear the malfunction. I wouldn't sweat the receiver gouge. As long as it's not scraping the side of the bolt carrier then it shouldn't impact function. 
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:46:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You removed the recoil spring and end plate that are specifically designed to prevent the steel charging handle from impacting the aluminum receiver, and you're disappointed with the rifle? It's not the rifle's fault you were using it improperly.

FWIW, if the rifle malfunction was cleared as you described then all you needed to do was mortar it to clear the malfunction. I wouldn't sweat the receiver gouge. As long as it's not scraping the side of the bolt carrier then it shouldn't impact function. 
View Quote

Couldn't really mortar it, as I had my feet on a landing skid and I was strapped in hunt was great, bunch of ranchers around us our place here in west Texas split the fees for a helicopter to come in and fly a couple of us around for a weekend. Shoot 10-15 pigs an hour, sometimes more. It's different for sure
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Couldn't really mortar it, as I had my feet on a landing skid and I was strapped in hunt was great, bunch of ranchers around us our place here in west Texas split the fees for a helicopter to come in and fly a couple of us around for a weekend. Shoot 10-15 pigs an hour, sometimes more. It's different for sure
View Quote

Yeah, I could see a pilot being less than enthusiastic about you pointing a live weapon at his rotors and power plant. 
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a very similar scenario happen to me. On a hog hunt in GA, get my crosshairs on a hog then, CLICK. Hammer drops, round didn't go off and its jammed into battery. Had to disassemble it to eject the round. Also, managed to damage the receiver in the process just like your photo. The issue ended up being that the O.A.L. (Over All Length) on my a couple of my reloads were a hair too long. Might have accidentally knocked the die halfway through a batch. This ended up causing the jam. Upon disassembly, took a bit of force to free up the bolt. With no buffer tension hold the heavy bolt back, ended up damaging the receiver slightly. I feel your pain, grab some calipers and inspect the rounds. Sounds like an all too familiar story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top