Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2016 11:16:16 PM EDT
I know little of these weapons other than they seem to be very ideal for a NATO magazine fed folding stock rifle. The last time I saw one was in Bosina and I didn't know what they were at the time.

From what I looked up they are banned from import, is this correct?

How many are in circulation(the semi auto type)?

Are they a similar operating system to the SIG 556?

School me
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#1]
this?

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

Thats the FNC correct?

The AK5 is the Swedish folding stock variant?
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Many thousands were imported in the 1980s. They can no longer be imported, but could be manufactured here if FN chose to do so, just like they can manufacture the SCAR here, but it's considered an obsolete design, and the only current military user was Sweden, as the AK5, and they're no longer actively using them, either.

Most of them have either been converted to full auto with S&H sears, or are in the hands of full auto owners as spare parts donors. I have a converted full auto FNC, built off a Howco import.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#4]
my first shot with that one I hit a woodpecker through the eye on the fly at 84 yards. I declared it a keeper
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Many thousands were imported in the 1980s. They can no longer be imported, but could be manufactured here if FN chose to do so, just like they can manufacture the SCAR here, but it's considered an obsolete design, and the only current military user was Sweden, as the AK5, and they're no longer actively using them, either.

Most of them have either been converted to full auto with S&H sears, or are in the hands of full auto owners as spare parts donors. I have a converted full auto FNC, built off a Howco import.
View Quote

Might be just jibba jabba, but I heard somewhere here that SCAR manufacturing would be coming stateside.  

I agree they would not retool a line to make the FNC again.  Awesome as it was.  

The same way HK isn't going to make hK93's anymore.  They've moved on.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting stuff here.

Where there any quirks to these guns that made them not so desirable?

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Interesting stuff here.

View Quote

As compared to the AR-15? Yeah.

Primarily that the barrel is attached to the upper, which is the firearm part on an FNC, meaning you can't just purchase other uppers and slap them on with two captive pins. Lack of access to spare parts in-country. Lack of accessories and secondary market manufacturers for everything, as compared to the AR-15 platform.

Not bad guns, per se, just lacking choices from a consumer standpoint.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#8]
FNC Rifles are nice. But if you want AK design in a AR platform...... get a Daewoo K2. All the benefits of the AK, ergos and design of the AR, and just a bit of FAL thrown in like adjustable gas system and stock.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:01:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Interesting stuff here.

View Quote

I have always been decidedly unimpressed by them, the AK5C is the one I have the most experience with.  

They are ridiculously front heavy, and IMHO, ergonomically garbage.  Maybe the grip was too big, maybe things were spaced out too much--every control just felt "too far away" compared to the M4.  Stock is also uncomfortable, and the non-in-line recoil was... meh.  

Grabbing the charging handle felt like gripping an anal bead.  The whole thing feels kind of clunky, with rounded edges on everything that makes it kind of feel like a plastic child's toy.  

I was super excited to shoot it and the FNC because they're frequently at the top of so many people's "grail" lists.  I think the rarity and novelty, and "not M4-ness" is cool to a lot of people, but once that wears off, IMHO, they're unimpressive weapons.  

I worked for about a year with NATO partners, working very closely with Swedes, and at least once a month, often more often, we would do "relationship building" exercises, dog and pony shows which essentially consisted of running range days with foreign troops, shooting their weapons and letting them shoot ours.  

What I observed that while new people tended to want to shoot "everything," none of the guys running the range, Swedes or Americans, spent much time shooting the AK5C, but we would all shoot the M4s when we had spare time/ammunition.  

::shrug::

Just my opinions.  I do think that transferable sears also add to their "popularity," along with general rarity and novelty.  

I don't really see any purpose to FN producing them in the U.S.  While another "non-M4/AR15" 5.56 option is theoretically nice to have in the general sense of "more options = good," I think FN would be far better served focusing on the SCAR if they want to open up domestic non-AR production.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:38:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Grabbing the charging handle felt like gripping an anal bead.
View Quote

This site never fails to deliver

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I just recently go into the FNC game after wanting one for quite some time. Heres what I have found out in my research on an absolutely awesome rifle.

Originally FN released the rifle as the FN CAL, it looked similar to the FNC, however the gas system was much more complex, and the ease of build and field stipping was too extreme for it to be competitive as a military arm.

FN went back to the drawing board and came out with the FNC a few years later.

Eventually the FNC was adopted by Sweden, Belgium, Congo, Venezuela, Tongo, El Salvador and Sri lanka. and in the PINDAD SS1 form Indonesia, Cambodia, Mali, Nigeria, and the UAE--with some of those countries simply exporters/and some not quite fully adopting it.

Essentially the FNC is what happens when the FAL, AK, and AR have a gangbang.

It takes AR mags.
Uses the Operating system of an AK (Long stroke piston, rotating 2 lug bolt)
Had the Ergonomics and furniture styles of a shortened FAL, and a very simply gas regulating system similar to an FAL.

From what I understand 6000 were imported into the US, 5000 of such being the folding stock para model. with either a 16" or 18" barrel
1000 of them were imported with the rare fixed stock, with 18" barrels.

More transferrable sears were imported than rifles, which made the FNC a very cheap Machine gun to get into. In fact the semi auto ones have become rarer than the machine guns.

With the awesomeness of cheap machine guns, comes the need for parts. So unfortunately much of the surplus parts have about dried up.

For the semi auto ones, about the only thing that really breaks is the firing pin. Luckily you can buy after market firing pins in many places, DSA for example has them.

I love mine, but there are a few things that are odd/different/outdated about the FNC.

1. The trigger pull is as heavy as a truck, but very predicatable and crisp.
2. I have Yuuge hands, and the safety is still out of reach of my thumb.
3. The recoil is something that has to be experienced, it is very, very light, by almost hydraulic in nature.
4. It has no bolt hold back function at all.
5.The barrel is 1:12 twist, evidently a few made it in with 1:7 twists but they are rare. However that being said, mine is stupid accurate for the rifle style it is. (Iron sighted fighting rifle)
6. No built in picatany rail for optics (Stormwerks took care of this issue)
7. Mine takes all mags, but some magwells are too tight for polymer mags

The Swedish version, the AK5a/b/5c is "advanced" in a few ways

1. Different hand guards with a slimmer more textured profile.
2. Folding stock comes in short or long for the ak5ab, the ak5c is adjustable for length. with new design.
3. Pistol grip got a less extreme angle, and a more flared bottom edge
4. Charging handle went from a roller look, to the anal bead
5. rear sight was changed to allow for easier adjustment, front sight became folding on the 5c.
6. Built in rail for optics
7. Purpose built polymer mags (fragile by report)
8. 1:7 twist barrels.
9. Bolt hold open made possible.
10.Green in color coating vs.Black
11. Larger Trigger Guard to allow for use of gloves.
12. Ambi Safety.
13. Pronged flashhider for the 5c.

Overall I love mine, its a truly unique part of my collection. I have enjoyed over the last few months locating some spare parts and such. The original imports came with all of the goodies, now even finding the original sling can be a pain. It also has its own little tool for cleaning, where once to be very available..now goes for 80 bucks.

Hope this helps. Here is mine.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sorry but that's just gorgeous.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just recently go into the FNC game after wanting one for quite some time. Heres what I have found in my research on an absolutely awesome rifle.

Originally FN released the rifle as the FN CAL, it looked similar to the FNC, however the gas system was much more complex, and the ease of build and field stipping was too extreme fore it to be competitive as a military arm.

FN went back to the drawing board and came out with the FNC a few years later.

Eventually the FNC was adopted by Sweden, Belgium, Congo, Venezuela, Tongo, El Salvador and Sri lanka. and in the PINDAD SS1 form Indonesia, Cambodia, Mali, Nigeria, and the UAE--with some of those countries simply exporters/and some not quite fully adopting it.

Essentially the FNC is what happens when the FAL, AK, and AR have a gangbang.

It takes AR mags.
Uses the Operating system of an AK (Long stroke piston, rotating 2 lug bolt)
Had the Ergonomics and furniture styles of a shorten FAL, and a very simply gas regulating system similar to an FAL.

From what I understand 6000 were imported into the US, 5000 of such being the folding stock para model. with either a 16" or 18" barrel
1000 of them were imported with the rare fixed stock, with 18" barrels.

More transferrable sear were imported than rifles, which made the FNC a very cheap Machine gun to get into. In fact the semi auto ones have become rarer than the machine guns.

With the awesomeness of cheap machine guns, comes the need for parts. So unfortunately much of the surplus parts have about dried up.

For the semi auto ones, about the only thing that really breaks is the firing pin. Luckily you can buy after market firing pins in many places, DSA for example has them.

I love mine, but there are a few things that are odd/different/outdated about the FNC.

1. The trigger pull is as heavy as a truck, but very predicatable and crisp.
2. I have Yuuge hands, and the safety is still out of reach of my thumb.
3. The recoil is something that has to be experienced, it is very, very light, by almost hydraulic in nature.
4. It has no bolt hold back function at all.
5.The barrel is 1:12 twist, evidently a few made it in with 1:7 twists but they are rare. However that being said, mine is stupid accurate for the rifle style it is. (Iron sighted fighting rifle)
6. No built in picatany rail for optics (Stormwerks took care of this issue)
7. Mine takes all mags, but some magwells are too tight for polymer mags

The Swedish version, the AK5/5c is "advanced" in a few ways

1. Different hand guards with a slimmer more textured profile.
2. Folding stock comes in short or long for the ak5, the ak5s is adjustable for length. with new design.
3. Pistol grip got a less extreme angle, and a more flared bottom edge
4. Charging handle went from a roller look, to the anal bead
5. rear sight was changed to allow for easier adjustment, front sight became folding on the 5c.
6. Built in rail for optics
7. Purpose built polymer mags (fragile by report)
8. 1:7 twist barrels.
9. Bolt hold open made possible.
10.Green in color coating vs.Black
11. Larger Trigger Guard to allow for use of gloves.
12. Ambi Safety.
13. Pronged flashhider for the 5c.

Overall I love mine, its a truly unique part of my collection. I have enjoyed over the last few months locating some spare parts and such. The original imports came with all of the goodies, now even finding the original sling can be a pain. It also has its own little tool for cleaning, where once to be very available..now goes for 80 bucks.

Hope this helps. Here is mine.

<a href="http://s1182.photobucket.com/user/800mZero/media/Mobile%20Uploads/KIMG0278_zpsnwiqnqsh.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x457/800mZero/Mobile%20Uploads/KIMG0278_zpsnwiqnqsh.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1182.photobucket.com/user/800mZero/media/Mobile%20Uploads/KIMG0277_zpsxsbbt6so.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x457/800mZero/Mobile%20Uploads/KIMG0277_zpsxsbbt6so.jpg</a>
View Quote

Sexy
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I've always liked the FNC.  Here are a few pictures I've taken over the years of my FNC's.  It's been a fun habit.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank You for the kind words gents. Hopefully I answered the OP's questions.

for a great vid on the ak5c

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thank You for the kind words gents. Hopefully I answered the OP's questions.
View Quote

Awesome info, thank you and everyone who posted. These rifles are SMEXY to bad they aren't around the US much but we have the SCAR16s so I guess that will have to do when I get some coin.

Does this count as the official FNC pic thread?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I think a folding stock FNC would be awesome, but I've never held one or even seen one.

A South African Galil R4 or R5 would fill the same roll for me.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think a folding stock FNC would be awesome
View Quote

Same here, but the SCAR is the next best thing but thats a whole other thread I am sure already.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Are the FNC and AK5 compatible for internal parts?  I’ve seen AK5 hammers and extractors for sale, but am not sure if those can be used with a FN FNC.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Completely interchangeable.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I've always liked the FNC.  Here are a few pictures I've taken over the years of my FNC's.  It's been a fun habit.
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/20140920_184529_zpse46bc743.jpg

View Quote
What's up with the dust cover on this one? Is that a different version made to better protect its spring? Is it rare? Who uses it?

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What's up with the dust cover on this one? Is that a different version made to better protect its spring? Is it rare? Who uses it?      
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/fuatos/20140920_184529_zpse46bc743.jpg

I put this rifle together a few years ago.  I posted some of this on FNCtalk and have updated some of the information and pictures. The donor parts came from the Dutch trial FNC.  It is one rare rifle. I'm not sure how many were made for the trials, but I know there weren't too many (in the neighborhood of 20 or less). It took awhile, but I finally got it put together! I assembled these parts on one of my Curtis Higgins registered sear FNC conversions.

Here are the differences/updates from the FNC's imported pre '89:

1/7 barrel
Bayonet lug
No grenade launching sight
Reinforced welds on the bolt carrier
Updated recoil assembly with polymer recoil buffer (instead of the metal plate).
Dust cover (polymer)
3rd Generation cocking handle
Winter trigger guard
SAW type pistol grip
Selector switch with current indexing spring (it is a rather massive flat spring compared to the orig)

Parts not yet installed:

Circular mag release (haven't cut my receiver to accommodate this part)
Folding stock locking mechanism, with an extra spring and pawl in the elbow
Auto sear pin, you'll notice that it is significantly larger/different than the S&H Arms conversion.

Parts kit

1-7" barrel

Reinforced bolt carrier

New style recoil assembly

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#25]
There is a common internet myth of more reg sears than hosts.  However, this is NOT so.  I was talking to Curtis Higgins of S&H Arms a few years ago. He had long been out of stock of registered FNC sears at this point. It was the perfect opportunity to ask him how many S&H registered FNC sears they produced. He couldn't remember the exact number offhand, but it was around 2500. Curtis had, for many years, been very tight lipped on how many sears were produced. I believe he didn't want to disclose his inventory while he was still doing the conversions. This caused the rumors and speculation to run wild...

It is also true that most people who own a class 3 FNC sear rifle, will have a second for spare parts...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top