Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2016 9:05:52 AM EDT
There seems to be three options right now that are the most popular.  ACOG, Elcan, or a Nightforce.  I picked the 17S up to be my primary "go to" rifle, but also live on 15 acres and would like to use it for hunting and punching paper out to 300m, maybe 500m if I do some brush clearing.

Can someone please list the pros and cons of all mentioned, or assist me into making the correct choice?  Out of all three listed, I've only shot with an ACOG, that is on my M4 with the military.  I like the ACOG, but dislike it's fixed magnification.  Top mounted RDS might be a solution to that.  Nightforce is a true scope, but I'd have to run an angled RDS off the side of it.  Elcan, I like the 1-4x lever comsept, but an ACOG with an RDS seems kinda the same.  Keeping weight down is always key too.

So what ya all think?
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The SCAR is like self-serve frozen yogurt.
You buy it and then put every possible thing you can find in sight on it to totally bury it beneath all the garbage.
I also feel like every Asian's dream gun is a tan SCAR.
I also feel like every person in the SCAR FB page thinks/acts like the SCAR is the most-expensive (and elite) gun out there.
I'm not buying a SCAR.
View Quote

i saw this earlier this morning and died laughing.... thought I would share.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#3]
One omission in your big 3 is the Vortex Razor HD 1-6x.  

For your intended purpose, it is darn near perfect.  I have it on my 17 and it covers 0-400m with ease.  If you go ACOG, most are happier with the 3.5x version to gain the eye relief at the cost of a small amount of magnification.  

I dislike the top mounted RDS,  I have given it a shot many times but end up trashing the whole idea due to the difficulty in getting a predictable chin/cheek weld.  

The weight of the Vortex Razor 1-6 is often cited as a detractor but quite frankly, it is overblown.  I have one on a lightweight AR as well and it does not upset the balance of the rifle at all.  The versatility and robust construction more than makes up for the weight.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm planning on an Elcan when I get my SCAR17 next year. My SCAR16 currently sports a Aimpoint PRO.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I like to keep mine as light as possible. T1 on one and ta11e on the other.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I intend to one day get an ACOG for my 17, mainly due to the simplicity.  If needed (the Bindon Aiming Concept didn't work for me when I looked through one at a gun store, but may with some practice) I would put a 45 deg offset irons or a mini Aimpoint for close/quick.

You mention Nightforce, but not specifics.  Nightforce does make a 1-4x variable optic so you wouldn't "have to run an angled RDS"
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
The TA-11 fits the rifle perfectly, but it is such a flexible rifle that a flexible optic like a 1-6 would work well as well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I intend to one day get an ACOG for my 17, mainly due to the simplicity.  If needed (the Bindon Aiming Concept didn't work for me when I looked through one at a gun store, but may with some practice) I would put a 45 deg offset irons or a mini Aimpoint for close/quick.

You mention Nightforce, but not specifics.  Nightforce does make a 1-4x variable optic so you wouldn't "have to run an angled RDS"
View Quote

Damn, that scope coupled with the FC-3G reticle looks like it was made with the OP in mind.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s953.photobucket.com/user/tejasmtb_photo/media/3B9E96B7-DE6D-490B-B585-2E1D34F2899B_zpsonh6uvpi.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae18/tejasmtb_photo/3B9E96B7-DE6D-490B-B585-2E1D34F2899B_zpsonh6uvpi.jpg</a>
View Quote

lol

I love it how the Elcan crowd is just like the "stfu. marvel at my $2250 optic, on top of my $3400 rifle, need I say more?"
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

lol

I love it how the Elcan crowd is just like the "stfu. marvel at my $2250 optic, on top of my $3400 rifle, need I say more?"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s953.photobucket.com/user/tejasmtb_photo/media/3B9E96B7-DE6D-490B-B585-2E1D34F2899B_zpsonh6uvpi.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae18/tejasmtb_photo/3B9E96B7-DE6D-490B-B585-2E1D34F2899B_zpsonh6uvpi.jpg</a>

lol

You asked and I replied. It's one of the optics you are considering for a reason. It solves the need for an awkward offset red dot, you have two power options which is what you'd be using even if you got an LPVO like a 1-6/8x, and it has a great reticle with day time usable illumination and the glass is great. Don't pay full price for an Elcan, I got that one LNIB for $1600, shop around and watch the EE. If I had to pick a second choice it'd likely be the Vortex Razor 1-6x. Good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You asked and I replied. It's one of the optics you are considering for a reason. It solves the need for an awkward offset red dot, you have two power options which is what you'd be using even if you got an LPVO like a 1-6/8x, and it has a great reticle with day time usable illumination and the glass is great. Don't pay full price for an Elcan, I got that one LNIB for $1600, shop around and watch the EE. If I had to pick a second choice it'd likely be the Vortex Razor 1-6x. Good luck with your decision.
View Quote

How much does the sighting on the Elcan change when you throw the magnification lever forward and are shooting at 500m targets; still accurate?  My current thoughts are maybe going with a US Optics MR-10, it's 1.8x10 magnification, so you can use it in a DMR role.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like it is wearing a "boot".

That's the hardest part for me to get over.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree but the acr stock option has had its own share of issues so the one stock is still the best option.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How much does the sighting on the Elcan change when you throw the magnification lever forward and are shooting at 500m targets; still accurate?  My current thoughts are maybe going with a US Optics MR-10, it's 1.8x10 magnification, so you can use it in a DMR role.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problems with shift. I'm a fan of USO stuff and that new optic is a good choice, only drawback is that they are heavy optics. I had the SR8C on mine previously.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One omission in your big 3 is the Vortex Razor HD 1-6x.  

For your intended purpose, it is darn near perfect.  I have it on my 17 and it covers 0-400m with ease.  If you go ACOG, most are happier with the 3.5x version to gain the eye relief at the cost of a small amount of magnification.  

I dislike the top mounted RDS,  I have given it a shot many times but end up trashing the whole idea due to the difficulty in getting a predictable chin/cheek weld.  

The weight of the Vortex Razor 1-6 is often cited as a detractor but quite frankly, it is overblown.  I have one on a lightweight AR as well and it does not upset the balance of the rifle at all.  The versatility and robust construction more than makes up for the weight.
View Quote

I may put the razor on mine. I think the reticle on the NF will be to small for cqb on 1x power?  If I can get a ta31nsn in 308 I may go that route. I kinda like my scar bare bones now as it keeps its greatest feature...it's low weight.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I agree but the acr stock option has had its own share of issues so the one stock is still the best option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What issues?  I have one on mine. Anything I should look for/prepare for.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#18]

I liked my Elcan in Afghanistan.

If it was my SCAR I would probably go Razor 1-6 or perhaps try a Sig 2-12.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#19]
If you get the Elcan, go 1.5-6x. I had the 1-4X on my Block II rifle for a while. Loved it except for eye relief. Other than that it was a tank that held zero between both magnification settings.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No problems with shift. I'm a fan of USO stuff and that new optic is a good choice, only drawback is that they are heavy optics. I had the SR8C on mine previously.
View Quote

The issue I see with weight is a lot of us, now as civilians, are putting military grade optics on our rifles.  The housing on those are designed to be banged around the inside of a stryker, or beaten against concrete.  Due to the ruggidized nature of Elcans, ACOGs, even my suggestion of US Optics, it's costing us in weight.  20oz max I think should be our goal, below a pound at 16oz would be ideal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Honestly,  my main SCAR wears a NF 2.5-10x42 99% of the time. If I want a close range optic I have a Trijicon TriPower already zeroed in a Seekins ring ready to put on, only takes a minute to change out optics and I use Seekins rings on both optics.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The issue I see with weight is a lot of us, now as civilians, are putting military grade optics on our rifles.  The housing on those are designed to be banged around the inside of a stryker, or beaten against concrete.  Due to the ruggidized nature of Elcans, ACOGs, even my suggestion of US Optics, it's costing us in weight.  20oz max I think should be our goal, below a pound at 16oz would be ideal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, I am no longer humping it for a living so the age old adage of ounces equals pounds rings even louder haha. The Leupy Mk6 1-6x is a nice FFP optic and it weighs in at 17oz and can be had all day for $1500, definitely take a look at that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd be better served reading about them over on the FNForum than to hear it third party from myself. I do think they look a hell of a lot better, if that matters.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I would buy a SCAR17 if they were about $1000 cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 1:37:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I currently have a TA 11 on mine, but have looked hard at the Kahles 1-6 x24 and am giving that a lot of consideration...

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I tried several optics on my 17, the TA-11 3.5x ACOG is absolutely the best.

" />
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:19:39 AM EDT
[#27]

or the ultimate

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a TA-01B on a Bobro QD mount = 13.5oz

Acogs don't have to be heavy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Looking into either an EOTech Vudu 2.5-10x44mm or 1-6x24 actually now.  The 2.5-10 has a larger objective lens, less weight, and $1000 less expensive than the US Optics MR10, or the NF ATACR F1 in that same class of scope.  I would have probably been sold on the Leupold VX R Patrol, but it's second focal plane scope.  It boggles my mind how first focal plane is not yet an industry standard for the tactical scope realm, due to the ease to range estimate targets all the way through the magnification level.

Image below is of the EOTech Vudu 1-6.  It's the holographic sight of the 512, but if you zoom into 6x, because it's first focal plane, it goes into an illuminated mil dot reticle.  So look at the image below, you can kinda make out the mil dot reticle in the center, now imaging that mil dot reticle being blown up 6x larger when fully zoomed in.  That feature is sick.  You can use a 17S as an combat assault rifle, or switch over to a DMR role with the twist of a nob.  I think this could be a new standard for 17S optics.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks nice but 6x can't take this rifle to its true accuracy potential. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Looks nice but 6x can't take this rifle to its true accuracy potential. Just my opinion.
View Quote

Agree, but 6x is still better than the vast majority of 4x ACOGs and Elcans people are running on it.  At least the Vudu gives a mil dot reticle to make adjustments from, and you're not going off elevation drop indicators.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I really like the concept of a 2-12. Let's you run pretty much as fast as a red dot while zooming all the way up to 12x.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:19:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I really like the concept of a 2-12. Let's you run pretty much as fast as a red dot while zooming all the way up to 12x.
View Quote

I agree. I think Trijicons new Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42 might be the perfect ticket for the rifle. If I didn't have my NF already I'd be looking hard at that optic.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looking into either an EOTech Vudu 2.5-10x44mm or 1-6x24 actually now.  The 2.5-10 has a larger objective lens, less weight, and $1000 less expensive than the US Optics MR10, or the NF ATACR F1 in that same class of scope.  I would have probably been sold on the Leupold VX R Patrol, but it's second focal plane scope.  It boggles my mind how first focal plane is not yet an industry standard for the tactical scope realm, due to the ease to range estimate targets all the way through the magnification level.

Image below is of the EOTech Vudu 1-6.  It's the holographic sight of the 512, but if you zoom into 6x, because it's first focal plane, it goes into an illuminated mil dot reticle.  So look at the image below, you can kinda make out the mil dot reticle in the center, now imaging that mil dot reticle being blown up 6x larger when fully zoomed in.  That feature is sick.  You can use a 17S as an combat assault rifle, or switch over to a DMR role with the twist of a nob.  I think this could be a new standard for 17S optics.
http://blog.gunlink.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_6500.jpg
View Quote

The vudu seems promising. Can't wait to hear some real world feedback on it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#36]
OP, they are all great optic choices.  I'm not going to say the ACOG is best just because it's what I went with..but it is a pretty nice and robust set up.
Just think about how you see yourself using the rifle for which ever scenario you see fit.  
I wanted my 17 to be more of a battle rifle / DMR type gun.. not a long range precision rifle.
The ACOG fit that role for me.  The Elcan and Nightforce are just as nice.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OP, they are all great optic choices.  I'm not going to say the ACOG is best just because it's what I went with..but it is a pretty nice and robust set up.
Just think about how you see yourself using the rifle for which ever scenario you see fit.  
I wanted my 17 to be more of a battle rifle / DMR type gun.. not a long range precision rifle.
The ACOG fit that role for me.  The Elcan and Nightforce are just as nice.  

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/MymWPn" target="_blank">https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5602/29902269075_458a692a21_b.jpg</a>
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/LB1afK" target="_blank">https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5790/29275806283_49fce1e79a_b.jpg</a>
View Quote

No issue with the ACOG, it's my prefered optic on my military M4, between an Eotech 512 and an Aimpoint M4 Comp for what our armory has to offer.  I am just now thinking that the 1-6 Vudu can give you best of both worlds.  An Eotech sight circle for easy 1x magnification shots, but be able to throw the lever up to 6x, for a little more accuracte distance hits. It's basically the same as that Elcan 1-6, but half the cost, less weight, and I think the reticle is a little more friendly in the 1x roll, and I'd prefer a mil dot for 6x instead.  Thats just me.

I never picture us using our 17Ss as a precision rifle, while capable, I think all of us agree to still have it designed for those <100m shots
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I would buy a SCAR17 if they were about $1000 cheaper.
View Quote

From what I keep reading they can barely be found at their current price.

You expect them to be cheaper?

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:23:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I agree. I think Trijicons new Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42 might be the perfect ticket for the rifle. If I didn't have my NF already I'd be looking hard at that optic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm currently running a primary arms dmr variable scope on my 1u (I keep buying more guns instead of optics.) The accupoint is on my short list when I finally get my guns bought. That being said, that cheap pa is great.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Kahles K16i or TA11.  It may take some practice to learn to shoot with both eyes open but the benefits are worth it.  Plus having both eyes open reduces strain in the eyes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#41]
OP look into the Nikon M-308.

I dropped an M-308 4-16x42 w/ BDC 800 on mine with a Wilson Combat elevated quick detach mount and couldn't be happier.

300-600 yd shots? No problem. Holds zero after hundreds of shots even with the crappy PWS brake (since removed).

The Wilson mount also clears the original BUIS and can be removed in 5 seconds without tools.

$650 and 27 Oz total added weight (19 Oz Scope, 8 Oz mount)

Nikon M-308 4-16x42mm w/ 800 BDC

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/mobile/Accu-Rizer-Scope-Mount-1-Rings/productinfo/TR-ARMOUNT/

Here's some older photos (w/ Moonboot and PWS):

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 3:52:25 AM EDT
[#42]
My 17 rocks an Elcan 1-4X
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top