Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2016 12:21:49 AM EDT
[TLDR version: gunsmith damaged my SCAR17 and misled me when I began to make inquiries about when it would be ready. When I ultimately picked it up he owned the damage and offered to order me a new rifle. Would you take him up on it?]

Looking for some input from some fellow SCAR owners on how you would handle this...

07/07/16: I dropped off my FDE SCAR17 with a gunsmith to have two rear upper receiver screws removed in order to install a KDG rear QD sling point. I thought about doing it myself but did not want to damage the rifle getting the loc-tited screws out. This gunsmith has done work for me in the past and I have never had an issue. He did not give me a quote time-wise or money-wise for the work, which I really was not that concerned about as he has always been reasonable on both in the past.

08/10/16: I sent him a text message asking for a rough ETA. No response (he usually responds immediately).

09/10/16: I sent him another text message telling him I needed to come pick up the rifle the following week even if it was not done (was thinking about deer hunting with it). No response.

09/12/16: I sent him another text message asking if he got my previous ones. He replied that he was still fighting the screws and was sorry he had not gotten it done yet. I told him unless they screws were really messed up I needed to come get it, unless it was going to be done soon as I was planning on hunting with it. He replied that he would get a tap coming and worse case scenario he would drill them out. I thanked him and told him I would check back in a week or so.

09/30/16: I sent him another text message asking for an update. He replied that he just got it done but had headed home for the day. Said he could meet me the next day (Saturday) and get it back to me and he would let me know when he was headed in. Never heard from him the next day.

10/03/16: I sent him another text message asking if he was going to be around that afternoon after I got off work to come get it. He said he would. I asked him how much I owed him and he said nothing, "this ones on me".

I got to his shop and he says yea those screws were pretty tough to get out. As he starts unzipping my rifle case he says he also needs to let me know the rifle accidentally fell out of the vice (or something to that effect) and he dinged the upper receiver. He apologized and said "whatever I need to go to make it right, I'll do it". He offered getting it cerakoted, re-anodized, or ordering a new rifle if that's what it took to make me happy. I noticed the barcode sticker was rubbed down to the point the writing was almost gone and asked him how that happened. He said something to the effect of the "puck" left a mark on the left side and he had to rub it off (I assume from the vice? - I don't know). Told him I did not want to make any decision then and headed home with the rifle. He said to let him know what I wanted him to do. Got it home and went over it better and found several dings...

10/04/16: I sent him another text message asking him if the damage was one of the reasons it took so long. He replied, "Truth be told. I was in contact with fn trying to get a new receiver. I wasn't going to keep working on it if I was getting you a new one. After they said they would not get me a receiver, I went to drilling them out and finished the job." So basically he damaged the rifle and instead of contacting me up front he spent months trying to figure out what he was going to do. This part bugs me more than the damage. We messaged back and forth a bit and I told him I think I wanted a new rifle if the offer still stood. He said it did but his distributors were out of stock (duh). He told me he would keep an eye out and asked me to do the same. I told him there are several on GunBroker, but for more than his usual pricing I was sure. He said he would put notification requests in with his usual sources and check out GunBroker too and see what kind of price difference there was. I asked him to keep me updated and we left it at that.

My question... is it silly of me to take him up on the new rifle offer? I felt that way at first but the more I think about it I think it is appropriate. I dropped off a like new rifle with him and I got it back all dinged up, and to top it all off he basically lied about it when I was inquiring. What would you guys do?
On some of my rifles I would not be so bummed out about some dings, but this SCAR was like new and I have almost 4 grand into it (rifle, rail, Geissele trigger, grip, safety, light, etc).

The rifle as returned:

Dings on right side:

Vice marks (?) on polymer brass deflector:

Dings on bottom of extended KDG rail:

Factory sticker:

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#1]
You get a new rifle and he gets that one to sell to recoup on his mistake. Personally I myself would accept nothing less and I'd be more pissed about not being informed from the beginning.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:38:10 AM EDT
[#2]
At least he got the screws out. Took me a few hours and a lot of cussing and one ding on the rear sling mount when my drill bit broke trying to drill out the stripped screw. Pita but I got the QD mounted up. I'd get a new rifle OP. His loss not yours.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:38:14 AM EDT
[#3]
For starters the entire situation sucks. I think his biggest mistake was not being honest with you upfront about what he did wrong. I would most likely never take any business to him after this episode concludes itself. I agree with the previous poster, he should purchase you a new rifle, nothing less will be acceptable.

In regards to the damage, the MREX rail ran be replaced, the same goes for the brass deflector, and the sticker should come off anyway. The two marks/dings on the receiver suck for sure but aside from being eye sores I don't see them effecting the function of the rifle. In conclusion, you or the gunsmith should have no problem selling the rifle as long as the receiver is not bent. Is he allowing you to keep the damaged rifle along with the eventual new one to replace it or is he expecting to take possession of the damaged rifle at that point?

I've removed those screws on three different Scars and never have I had an issue. A little indirect heat from a heat gun and a slow but firm push on the screws with a Torx wrench and they will break free. I just don't see how this can happen and the use of a vice or clamp is completely unnecessary.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I would accept nothing less as well. By the time he gets a new FN at his cost, puts your parts on it and sells yours used, his losses would be marginal. It is the right thing to do as a self respecting person.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You get a new rifle and he gets that one to sell to recoup on his mistake. Personally I myself would accept nothing less and I'd be more pissed about not being informed from the beginning.
View Quote

Fpni
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Had he been upfront with the damage at first, I personally would have probably blew it off, i would cause more damage to a rifle after doing a months worth of run and gun training or match training. But withholding information is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is he allowing you to keep the damaged rifle along with the eventual new one to replace it or is he expecting to take possession of the damaged rifle at that point?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Is he allowing you to keep the damaged rifle along with the eventual new one to replace it or is he expecting to take possession of the damaged rifle at that point?

He would get the damaged rifle, basically just a swap. The pain in the ass about that is all the extra stuff I already installed on this one (KDG rail, Silencerco muzzle brake for my Saker762 which is pending, BCM grip, PMM safety, Geissele trigger). I have all the factory parts I believe and will just put them back on myself I guess...the dings on the bottom of the rail I will probably just ignore.

Quoted:
Had he been upfront with the damage at first, I personally would have probably blew it off, i would cause more damage to a rifle after doing a months worth of run and gun training or match training. But withholding information is unacceptable.

Yea, I might feel different if he was up front right from the start. As it is though the rifle is just tainted to me from the whole deal.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 2:34:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm torn.   1 side, yeah, id be pissed about the dings on the receiver.  Personally, The rail/deflector can be replaced.   The sticker,  I was never a fan of and would have taken it off on day 1. As far as the receiver, again, it sucks but only cosmetic.  Id be asking for around $500, new rail/deflector and call it good.  But this is your rifle,  u had it since new.   It may seem alittle extreme to ask for a new 1b but he will sell your old 1 for 1 hell of a price and not be out THAT much
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:17:36 AM EDT
[#9]
if it was me, bye bye old rifle, hello new rifle and he would also have to get me a new kdg rail since he dinged that too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:31:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Is the rail marred in a couple of spots above the sticker?  

New rifle.  I put dents, scratches and gouges on my "stuff."  Other people don't get that option.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:36:31 AM EDT
[#11]
The way he jerked you around for that amount of time, I would walk in with my phone show him the one you want tell him to purchase it or give you the cash amount right then. Also never do business with him again. Good luck I doubt he is even looking for one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#12]
The marring would make me a little upset... but the sticker? Lol. Take that shit off anyway
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#13]
How long will it take to get a replacement?  4 months?  6 months?  Is he taking possession of your rifle at the time he orders the new one?  If you keep it while waiting and continue to use it without issue,  does it really need replacement?

I'd be ticked about the marks, however,  it is going to look way worse with use.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet...that is one of the finest color matched 17s I have ever seen.  Shame.

When I added the KDG rail on mine, it became a rainbow between OD green, bile, and FDE.

<pours drink> for the loss of a handsome rifle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#15]
sucks,

considering that my rifle would probally look like that after 6 months or so, not sure how I would feel about it,  instead of asking for a refinish or new rifle, I would probably ask him to shit me a aimpoint T1 or trijicon MRO and call it good.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Well damages arent that huge IMO and with use you will probably make the same to the new rifle BUT you answered your own question.. You gave a like new weapon to a pro to have a job done, he damaged it then you must be refunded somehow: get a new rifle.

Especially if its a sort of safe queen and you were not going to abuse it with training classes etc
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#17]
This is why I never take my stuff to "gunsmiths"
If something gets torn up, I've got nobody to blame but myself.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is why I never take my stuff to "gunsmiths"
If something gets torn up, I've got nobody to blame but myself.
View Quote

i agree but when I screw up something then I start telling myself: "idiot why did you bring it to a gunsmith?!"
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#19]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Since your past dealings with him were good enough to where you could drop a rifle off and not worry about price and time, I imagine he's treated you pretty good to get to that point. With that in mind I'd probably just say screw it and keep the rifle, but not bring any more business to him. While I wouldn't be happy about all that damage it's definitely not a show stopper for me personally, as long as the rifle functioned as it did before. As you mentioned I'd be more bent out of shape about the lying than the actual damage. I can definitely understand why you'd be interested in a new rifle though, especially if you're interested in resale value.

If you do opt for a new rifle, one option you could work out with him is to swap out the barrel assemblies. You'd be able to move most your accessories in one fell swoop. Swap out the trigger modules too and that's two fell swoops.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Meh, have him give you a case of ammo and shoot the shit out of it. It's a tool. It sucks but me personally, that's what I'd do.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:35:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Unless he had one on the shelf I wouldn't hold my breath for a new fde scar 17.  I'd take some other form of compensation because either youre going to wait a long time or youre not getting a new one from him.  If it was me I would probably just let it go.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:54:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Unless he had one on the shelf I wouldn't hold my breath for a new fde scar 17.  I'd take some other form of compensation because either youre going to wait a long time or youre not getting a new one from him.  If it was me I would probably just let it go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No other form of compensation was offered. The options he offered were cerakote, re-anodizing the upper, or a new rifle. Trust me I'm not holding my breath for a brand new one to show up... especially after the way everything went down. I am going to give it a couple weeks and check in with him. His response about where we're at should be telling and I will evaluate from there. Personally, if I were in his shoes, I would suck it up and order one off GunBroker or wherever despite the current high prices. Then again I would not have kept a repeat paying customer in the dark either.

Quoted:
Since your past dealings with him were good enough to where you could drop a rifle off and not worry about price and time, I imagine he's treated you pretty good to get to that point. With that in mind I'd probably just say screw it and keep the rifle, but not bring any more business to him. While I wouldn't be happy about all that damage it's definitely not a show stopper for me personally, as long as the rifle functioned as it did before. As you mentioned I'd be more bent out of shape about the lying than the actual damage. I can definitely understand why you'd be interested in a new rifle though, especially if you're interested in resale value.

All of this is very close to my thoughts on it all. If he had called me the day he dropped it and been up front, pretty sure I would have not exercised the new rifle option. And while I do not plan on selling it, I am notorious for firearm ADD . The thought was in my head that if the election doesn't go our way and the prices got dumb enough, I would certainly think about it.

We will see how it goes...
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would accept nothing less as well. By the time he gets a new FN at his cost, puts your parts on it and sells yours used, his losses would be marginal. It is the right thing to do as a self respecting person.

Good luck!
View Quote

At this point, I'd put my own parts on it if I were you, OP.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

Planned on it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I put the KDG QD mount on myself. I didnt know removing those screws was a big deal.

Im seriously really glad I didnt end up F-ing up my rifle doing it. :|

EDIT: Also, to actually address the topic, I would probably just have it refinished on his dime.  Getting a whole new rifle over some dings is kind of ridiculous however you look at it.  If not just for the fact that you probably wont see a new rifle for months and months.

Accidents happen I guess... but I think its insane that a gunsmith would screw up a job like that.  Its something I did on a coffee table while watching TV.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Easy decision, take the new rifle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks like it's on GB now.

Best of luck with your new 17, OP.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

No new 17 for me...

He offered to buy the whole package for what I had into it new ($4000) since he could not find a rifle for normal price. Not ideal as I paid $2750 for the rifle and can not replace it for anywhere near that right now... but I took the offer as it was the quickest / easiest way to be done with it. I was made whole dollar-wise but the dollars don't do the same thing right now in the SCAR world.

Now he'll probably make money on the whole thing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No new 17 for me...

He offered to buy the whole package for what I had into it new ($4000) since he could not find a rifle for normal price. Not ideal as I paid $2750 for the rifle and can not replace it for anywhere near that right now... but I took the offer as it was the quickest / easiest way to be done with it. I was made whole dollar-wise but the dollars don't do the same thing right now in the SCAR world.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No new 17 for me...

Maybe. Hang onto your cash and perhaps after the CA deadline and election crap times out things will be reasonable again. No one knows. Personally, I'd have tacked on an inconvenience charge, but that's neither here, nor there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Meanwhile someone is throwing their M4 down he driveway for that "used" battle look. Rofl.

IMO, you're not being unreasonable. Only because it was basically a new no dings rifle, and you expected to get it back in that condition, in a more timely manner without the bs. But, I would give him that one, once you took possession of the new one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:20:08 AM EDT
[#32]
So basically the dealer screwed you twice.  He put some tiny dings on your rifle and then buys your new scar at way below market value and now he gets to sell it at or above market value.  No way would I have sold it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#33]
The dealer didn't screw him, he screwed himself.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So basically the dealer screwed you twice.  He put some tiny dings on your rifle and then buys your new scar at way below market value and now he gets to sell it at or above market value.  No way would I have sold it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I could have said no to his offer to buy it for what I had into it, ultimately that was my choice. If I thought there was any chance of him actually getting me a new rifle within any sort of reasonable time frame I probably would have said no.
*** SIDE NOTE: A few days after he said he would get me a new rifle I notified him that Midwest Gunworks had them for $3,069, which is only $300 more than I paid originally. His response was that was a lot more than he could get them for dealer price (when they are available) and he could not swing that at the time... so that's what I was working with.

I also could have opted to sell it myself on GB (I considered it), but did not want to mess with it and did not think I should have to.

Quoted:
The dealer didn't screw him, he screwed himself.

He screwed me the first time, and I consented to the second screwing, is more accurate.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Lol, did anyone get grabbed by the pussy?
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No new 17 for me...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No new 17 for me...

F that, i would accept nothing less than a NEW rifle or fair market value. Anything less i would spread his info all over town and on the internet.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#37]
That... is ridiculous.

Why didnt you just have him pay to have it refinished at least?
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That... is ridiculous.

Why didnt you just have him pay to have it refinished at least?
View Quote

The factory upper is hard anodized FDE with white factory markings all over it. I don't believe there would be anyway to refinish the whole thing without destroying / covering the factory markings, and significantly lowering the value of the rifle. That was never a practical solution in my mind.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#39]
What made you sell it?
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What made you sell it?
View Quote

Keeping it was not an option for me. Though the damage was cosmetic only and not horrible, every time I looked at it I was reminded of getting jerked around and lied to for months. I don't mind damage on my firearms if I put it there through honest use. I like it less if someone else does it, and even less than that if someone else does it and lies to me about it.

So I had three options really:
1 - Hold out for a new rifle as initially agreed to. The time frame for that was unknown and likely lengthy as the gunsmith was not willing to pay current market price for one.
2 - Sell it myself on GunBroker (or elsewhere). I considered this and knew it would likely bring more than what I had into it, but there was some risk in that due to the damage and I really did not want to mess with it.
3 - Accept his offer of buying it dollar for dollar what I had into it, whole package. I knew this would probably be less than option 2 but was easier, quicker, and less risk. Really I just wanted to be done with it and at least dollar-wise I was made whole.

It was an unfortunate deal all the way around but life goes on.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Sorry to hear about your mishap while at the repair shop. It sounds like the gunsmith went above and beyond to take care of you. I picked up a NIB 17 in FDE locally today.  Everything went smooth at the dealer this morning and at the range this afternoon. Loaded the magazine, inserted it, chambered a round and squeezed the trigger. Damn,  I wanted some sparks or drama so I could bitch about it here on Arf.com where I vent all of my frustrations, but it was not to be today. I knocked the bull right out of the target at 100 after sighting in with an acog -308 reticule.  Very pleased!
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Shitty. I'd like to think I would have put the thumb screws on over his 300 bullshit between his price and what it can be replaced for, but I understand washing your hands clean from someone else's bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#43]
"Damaged"
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:11:32 AM EDT
[#44]
If another Scar is easy to come by I would take the deal you took.  Being that it's scarce now, I would've had him pay for every part that was damaged, receiver would have been the most if you can get a price from FN and have him add a fair percentage on top of that for the heartache.  Then you get to keep your Scar and have some cash to play with.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#45]
If you want to stay friends let it go.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I miss the days when people would rattle can their SCARs.  I almost picked up a nice used SCAR 16 several months ago that was one of the factory blems due to loctite, was $2k at LGS.  I would have rattle canned it so I could be that guy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:41:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Keeping it was not an option for me. Though the damage was cosmetic only and not horrible, every time I looked at it I was reminded of getting jerked around and lied to for months. I don't mind damage on my firearms if I put it there through honest use. I like it less if someone else does it, and even less than that if someone else does it and lies to me about it.

So I had three options really:
1 - Hold out for a new rifle as initially agreed to. The time frame for that was unknown and likely lengthy as the gunsmith was not willing to pay current market price for one.
2 - Sell it myself on GunBroker (or elsewhere). I considered this and knew it would likely bring more than what I had into it, but there was some risk in that due to the damage and I really did not want to mess with it.
3 - Accept his offer of buying it dollar for dollar what I had into it, whole package. I knew this would probably be less than option 2 but was easier, quicker, and less risk. Really I just wanted to be done with it and at least dollar-wise I was made whole.

It was an unfortunate deal all the way around but life goes on.
View Quote

Noticed you're from Oregon. Just be warned that Kate Brown wants to try to shove a mag ban and possibly an AWB down our throat next year. Keep that in mind with your timeline of acquiring a replacement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top