Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2016 9:35:49 PM EDT
Looking for recommendations as to what muzzle devices will bring a factory 13" scar 17 barrel to the required OAL barrel length of 16" as to not have an NFA item. Thanks in advance

I know some will say just SBR...unfortunately that is not an option.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you sell the 13" barrel, buy a 16" barrel and have it cut to 14.5"?

That would significantly open your options. You will need a muzzle device about 3.5" in OAL since you have to factor in the part of the barrel that will be threaded into the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
BE Meyers. Available from TNVC.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Lancer Systems Viper brake is 3.77" long but is ugly as sin. That's the only one I could find on the net to get you to 16".
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BE Meyers. Available from TNVC.
View Quote

Hmmmm thank you....they specifically mention the short barreled scar in the description as well....thanks combat_jack this looks like it has some potential.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I was hoping the KAC MAMs would work it is listed at 3.25" but the threading may not allow the OAL to actually reach 16"... Any chance anyone has this set up?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#6]
it has to be pinned and welded
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was hoping the KAC MAMs would work it is listed at 3.25" but the threading may not allow the OAL to actually reach 16"... Any chance anyone has this set up?
View Quote

Theoretically you could have a custom adapter made.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:46:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Why the hell would you want that?  Poorer ballistics, blinding flash, less accuracy, same form factor.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why the hell would you want that?  Poorer ballistics, blinding flash, less accuracy, same form factor.
View Quote

As far as accuracy......

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/10/daniel-zimmerman/the-truth-about-barrel-length-muzzle-velocity-and-accuracy/

I want it because I have a 13" barrel that unfortunately can't be SBRd due to garbage state laws. I still have a 16" barrel that I can swap out at any time....but wanted to do something a little different.......it's more of a project than a need
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ballistics are still superior to 7.62x39 and .300 BO

Shorter stiff barrels tend to be more accurate.

Because freedom and OP wants to do it and it'll make him happy.....
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Cut down 16" barrel to 13.7" and pin KAC MAMs?
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looking for recommendations as to what muzzle devices will bring a factory 13" scar 17 barrel to the required OAL barrel length of 16" as to not have an NFA item. Thanks in advance

I know some will say just SBR...unfortunately that is not an option.
View Quote

Parker Mountain Machine is doing great jobs on cutting down 16" barrels and putting flashiders on them to keep the legal. His prices are very good too.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Not the same form factor.  It's still shorter than a 16" barrel + muzzle device.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top