Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2016 12:35:15 AM EDT
So my Sandman S stamp came in today. The gunsmith at the shop I got my can from told me he would charge me $100 to install the dead air brake on my 17s for me. He said it's very different from an AR and there was much more to it.

How difficult would it be to do myself? I don't have a vise and a bunch of armorer tools.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 2:20:18 AM EDT
[#1]
$100?!? Does that include the device as well? Absolutely crazy.

Anyway get this: https://www.kbacustom.com/our-products/firearm-accessories/product/34-scar-17s-muzzle-shoulder-ring.html

And this if you don't have any: http://www.silencershop.com/rocksett.html

The stock brake uses a jam nut so simultaneously tighten the nut and loosen the brake and it will come right off.

Your dead air brake should come with some shims. Find the correct set shims that will get you the alignment you need. Clean the threads real well with some alcohol or cleaner and apply a couple drops of the rocksett. It doesn't have to be tightened much. I think that shim recommends no more than 25 ft-lb, which isn't much at all.

The trickiest part will be finding the shims needed for correct alignment. It just might take a couple tries. But the entire job shouldn't take more than 20-30min.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd find a new smith. At most, it should be $10-20.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#3]
$100

The SCAR muzzle device is beyond easy to change.  It has a jam nut that requires two wrenches and then vise the barrel between two blocks time new muzzle device if it requires it and go.

Like mentioned early use rocksett not locktite.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
If someone told me they wanted to charge me $100 to change a muzzle device, just because its different than an AR, I would never go back there.

Its different than an AR, but it doesnt require some kind of specialty tools or anything.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#5]
It cost me more but I bought a nice Wilton bench vice and a SCAR armorers block set. I like quality tools as much as firearms.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#6]
And if you still cant get it off- Lay it on the sofa, muzzle down to the floor, resting in a bowl of warm water. Let it soak overnight. Tomorrow morning it will come right apart.
I was positive I was putting enough torque on it to twist the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And if you still cant get it off- Lay it on the sofa, muzzle down to the floor, resting in a bowl of warm water. Let it soak overnight. Tomorrow morning it will come right apart.

I was positive I was putting enough torque on it to twist the barrel.
View Quote

It's a jam nut.

There is nothing to soak from what I remember.

That might work for rocksett though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The Dead Air flash hider mounts are in the wild now, fuck that shim BS.

Do you have 2 wrenches? Do it yourself, its a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Dead Air flash hider mounts are in the wild now, fuck that shim BS.

Do you have 2 wrenches? Do it yourself, its a piece of cake.
View Quote

This is the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:55:35 AM EDT
[#10]
2 wrenches. One on the muzzle, 1 on the nut. Pull wrenches opposite.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:27:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not in any shape or form handy, but I was able to remove my factory SCAR brake and install an AAC muzzle device. It's really quite simple.

All you need is a torque wrench and then it's just a matter of using shims (if timing is required) - it's seriously easy.

There are plenty of things I'd pay a gunsmith to do, but installing a new muzzle device is not one of them.

Trust me, if I can do it, you can too.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#12]
like others have mentioned, I used the 2 wrench method to remove it from my Scar17. It look 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm not in any shape or form handy, but I was able to remove my factory SCAR brake and install an AAC muzzle device. It's really quite simple.

All you need is a torque wrench and then it's just a matter of using shims (if timing is required) - it's seriously easy.

There are plenty of things I'd pay a gunsmith to do, but installing a new muzzle device is not one of them.

Trust me, if I can do it, you can too.

View Quote

I'd say with rocksett a torque wrench isn't 100 % required. It's definitely the right tool but it doesn't have to be super tight, it can be guesstimated well enough.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I personally use the KBA shoulder ring on my 17 ..... Gives me piece of mind due to the scars small barrel shoulder

http://www.parkermountainmachine.com/store/p113/KBA_Custom_SCAR_17_Shoulder_Ring.html

But like stated above the muzzle device is super simple to change on the scar
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought a $30 flash hider at my local shop, and they put it on my SCAR 16 for free...
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Put an A2 FH on my 16s on my living room floor with one wrench in about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I personally use the KBA shoulder ring on my 17 ..... Gives me piece of mind due to the scars small barrel shoulder

http://www.parkermountainmachine.com/store/p113/KBA_Custom_SCAR_17_Shoulder_Ring.html

But like stated above the muzzle device is super simple to change on the scar
View Quote

I use the shoulder ring as well. Cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:25:25 AM EDT
[#18]
And on a SCAR you don't really need armorer's blocks. Just remove the barrel, there's already 2 flats on the barrel extension that look like they were designed for a vice.

AJ
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:31:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'd find a new smith. At most, it should be $10-20.
View Quote

No shit, my smith has done tons of suppressor mounts on 17's
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Changing my muzzle device. Is the thread pitch 5/8X24 on the Scar 17? Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes it is.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 12:57:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is.

Thank you.

ETA: It was a bitch but I got her changed out!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top