Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2016 10:37:53 PM EDT

http://www.us.army.mil/suite/photo/ako-400-20160518-262446054549276c3292fb.jpg

A U.S. Army Reserve military police Soldier, assigned to 11th Military Police Brigade, 200th Military Police Command, fires an M249 squad automatic weapon during night fire qualification at Fort Hunter-Liggett, California, May 4, 2016. U.S. Army photo by Master Sgt. Michel Sauret
View Quote

http://www.us.army.mil
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#1]
You mean the sparks flying?  That's what happens when you shoot guns at night.  Itsn't usually captured on film, but it's pretty common.  Something that really impressed me with the movie "13 hours" is that they included the sparking on the Technicals.  (older MGs and russian guns do it a lot worse than the modern AR family)

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that metal particles or burning powder?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that metal particles or burning powder?
View Quote

My guess is metal.  Excessive powder leads to more flash which you can already see in these images.  Just the bright burst by the muzzle.  The sparks seem more like fine metal particulates that are combusting, but I'm not certain.  The fact that russian guns tend to do this more than western weapons would support this idea since AKs, PKMs, etc tend to be loaded with steel cased ammo with harder bimetal jackets.  Harder jackets mean more material is removed from the bore and get thrown downrange.  Heavy friction makes it hot which turn the metal bits/shavings into glowing sparks.  Not certain this is 100% right, but I'd bet money that I'm at least close.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#4]
burning powder, you see that a lot more when shooting lower spec ammo.  Wolf for example does that very well both in 7.62 or 5.56.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  burning powder, you see that a lot more when shooting lower spec ammo.  Wolf for example does that very well both in 7.62 or 5.56.
View Quote

Uh, that's a DOD pic, so would be M855 or M855A1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top