Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2016 9:27:42 PM EDT
I have a SCAR 16 on order at a local dealer which should hopefully be arriving in the next couple of weeks, and I've been pouring over everything SCAR 16 related on the internet trying to figure out the ideal barrel length. The 16" barrel always struck me as an odd combination for the rest of the rifle, and I figured out that was because it was designed for a 14" barrel. I've really come to like the 14.5" length as an ideal general purpose barrel for my ARs--compact enough to maneuver in close quarters yet long enough to retain velocity for longer distances. However, I was actually drawn to the SCAR platform while handling the 10" version at a trade show; I really liked the weight and balance. I've never handled a 14" SCAR though. It looks like a good length from the pictures I've seen, but it's hard to judge from pictures alone.

I plan on shooting mostly 100 yards and less, but I will also shoot out to at least 300 yards (probably a 80/20 split). I like to shoot long(ish) distance run and gun matches like the former BattleRoad Zombie Run and Tiger Valley Bug Out Drill, so I will likely be using the SCAR for those. Also, I will be mounting a Surefire SF3P for my SF SOCOM MINI suppressor. I usually only shoot suppressed if I'm not at a range, so it won't be mounted the majority of the time. Also, I will likely be mounting an Aimpoint RDO.

What's everyone's favorite SCAR 16 barrel length for a general purpose rifle?

Also, is there a reason to spend the extra money on a factory barrel vs cutting the 16" barrel?

FWIW, I have 10.5", 11.5", and 14.5" SBRed ARs along with 16", 18", and 20" ones.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#1]
MidwestGunWorks

Has the 10's. I have a scar17 and have been debating going down a few inches
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
SCAR barrels seem to be relatively easy to find. 10" and 14" barrels are all over Gunbroker for $900-1000.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
10.5 is compatible with most suppressors,  i think thats the best length.  Ive heard the 10 isnt quite long enough for some.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

10.5 is compatible with most suppressors,  i think thats the best length.  Ive heard the 10 isnt quite long enough for some.
View Quote

I already use my SF SOCOM Mini on my 10.5" AR, so I'm not worried about damaging the suppressor. SF recommends 14.5"+ barrels for the Mini based only on sound levels since it's above 140dB under 14.5".
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#5]
10.5" here, I shoot suppressed 99% of the time.  No problems cycling my reloads or factory ammo.  Very capable out to 200 yards, haven't really shot it put to 300 yet.  All with a Aimpoint micro
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top