Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 6:10:05 PM EDT
In 2013, when my good friend and fellow ARFCOMMER Matt swiped his credit card at the Ft Worth gun show for a brand new SCAR 17s, I was all but certain that was as close to one as I would ever get. The gun was and always has been a "Grail gun" or lust gun for me. Not just because I'm a fan of the (older non cheesy futuristic crap) Call of Duty games either. When you pick up the Scar you feel something you don't get with other rifles, a certain functionality and rugged readiness to deal destruction to evil-doers. Or in my case, cardboard silhouettes and milk jugs .

Needless to say, when I was able to trade my way in to a brand new Scar 17s with Geissele trigger in January of this year, I decided I was going to do it right. Sure, it cost me a CMMG MK3 CBR .308, an Arsenal SLR 107, 10 mags and 700 rounds of ammo, AND an Aimpoint Micro, but by god I had my Scar. Within a week I had filed a form 1 and racked up a hefty credit card bill on an ACOG and some mags.

Fast forward to today, 4/22/2016. After a disapproval for having  "17s SCAR" instead of "Scar 17s", a month wait for the barrel work and way too much time looking at pic threads, my project was complete.

</a>" />

There you have it. In all its glory, the MK17 CQC (minus the fun switch . If that don't take you from 6 to midnight, nothing will.

Go quiet:

</a>" />

Obviously I couldn't leave it stock. The grip is a MIAD modified for the Scar by PMM. The rear sling swivel is by GG&G, the front rail is a now-discontinued rail from Midwest Industries with 2 built in QD swivels. A stubby VG from Tango Down and Larue index clips cover the rails. Inside is a Super Scar trigger, on top a TA-11 .308 red chevron ACOG. The sling is a VCAS from BFG. An AAC 762-SD keeps things quiet. Lastly will be a Steiner DBAL as soon as funds allow.

Here is a size comparison with a full size AK-74 with 16" barrel:

</a>" />

The Parker Mountain Machine barrel work:

Dealing with PMM is a dream. Jarod personally answers the phone every time you call. He speaks intelligently and knows his SCARs like the back of his hand. If you watch his channel on YouTube you will see all he runs is SCARs. The website is easy to use and makes getting the total package a breeze. You can choose from several barrel lengths ranging from 10" to 13" or select "custom length". Jarrod recommends 13" for various reasons including longevity of suppressor baffles. You can also choose his proprietary KBA ring which secured suppressor mounts to the barrel. Since I have an AAC mount on mine, and it must interface with the barrel face, he refunded me the cost of the ring and included a typed note explaining why in the box with the barrel.

This is what you will receive with your barrel:

</a>" />

In addition to your factory gas screw, you will receive 2 additional sizes. Included is a note with instructions detailing the use of each one, which to start with when test firing, etc.

You also will receive this:

</a>" />

That's a picture of a Gemtech can mounted with a suppressor rod in it to verify concentricity. Jarrod doesn't cut corners and goes to great lengths to verify his work.

</a>" />

All in all everything looks top notch. The customer service is outstanding and Jarod is very helpful and courteous on the phone. The one small gripe I would have would be turn around time. Originally quoted about a week and a half, it took almost 4 weeks to get the barrel back. But, everyone gets busy and he said he's been slammed lately. Still, a quoted lead time of longer rather than shorter would be nice. A minor complaint in the end, and the service and quality is worth the wait.

All in all I couldn't be happier with the gun. It's exactly what I wanted and exactly what I envisioned my Scar being when I got it. It hasn't been cheap, once I pick up a DBAL (depending on price) I will be in it around $6700 total. Granted, the can will be used on multiple guns, so maybe $6,000 on just the CQC. I feel I have kept it fairly close to a true Mk17 CQC save for a few small changes such as the MIAD. I want it FDE so Ceracoat may be in order soon...

Sunday will be the range test/sight in/accuracy test. Stay tuned!

</a>" />

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice 17, Dave! I just ordered a black SCAR 17S yesterday - can't wait to get some rounds downrange!

I'm not going to SBR my 17, but it will be suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the write up! Im debating sending one of mine to PMM to cut and pin. I had to sell off some stuff to purchase my first 17. No regrets at all. Loved it so much I had to get another heading into this election!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice. I just got mine. Hoping to get out to shoot it this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
You are making me want a SCAR...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are making me want a SCAR...
View Quote

Stay out of the pic thread then.... It will rape your bank account.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Added a WML up top. Really easy to hit with my thumb and still out of the way.

Yes my car is filthy... It's been raining

" />
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the same stuff when he chopped my 16 down to 14.5".

Ridiculous service and turn around...at great price!

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought "PMM Highly Recommends the USE  of the KBA SCAR Should ring on ALL SCAR 17 Barrel's, PMM Will not be held responsible for Baffle strikes on any PMM CQC barrel jobs Not using this ring to insure Proper Muzzle device Alignment."  

But because he chopped the barrel, he was able to bottom the muzzle device to the barrel face instead of the shoulder???
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Update 1: maiden voyage

Well things started off frustrating.

" />

That's the 2nd to last round on 3 different mags. Double feeding. So, as per Jarod's instruction I changed out the gas regulator screw to the next size and viola. No FTF or doubles the rest of the day.

I didn't get any group pics, I ended up changing out the ACOG for my Aimpoint, and here is why: I have a 25yd and 50yd range. I was doing a 36yd ACOG zero and halfway thru thought "damn, when will I use this magnifications?" So I threw on the Aimpoint and man, does that lighten things up. The rifle handles much, much better. I had planned on selling the ACOG before and had the buyer stand me up so I figured what the hell, I'll keep it on the scar. But after handling it now I'm gonna stick with the Aimpoint.

With a mag inserted without can it weighs 9.6lbs:

" />

It's very well balanced and light. Shockingly light actually. It's gonna stay a hard hitting battle 0-300 battle rifle for now. Feels like running an AR in 5.56.

So the last thing that was troubling at the range was what I believe to be suppressor related. I had mostly tight groups, but when I had my AAC can on, I would have groups jump around and open up. Also had an end cap strike due to shitty 51t lockup:

" />

I put on a rubber O-ring on like I did on my Tavor, torqued down the can all the way and no more wobble. I hate AAC locking mechanism.

So, overall I'm happy with the chop. Once I toyed with the gas it ran very smooth, no malfunctions in last 80 rounds. The jumping groups are a concern but I didn't see it when I had the can off. Very happy with the handling with the Aimpoint, next week will be a zero at 25 yards once I get my ADM mount in this week, and an accuracy test with pics.

" />

" />

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:22:04 AM EDT
[#10]

great looking rifle.  once you get the gas system tuned, the SCAR is hard to beat.

are you going to send the 762SD back to AAC and get it repaired?  that severe of a bend could cause some accuracy issues.

I'd shine a light down the stack just to make sure you didn't have a baffle strike, too.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:33:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
great looking rifle.  once you get the gas system tuned, the SCAR is hard to beat.

are you going to send the 762SD back to AAC and get it repaired?  that severe of a bend could cause some accuracy issues.

I'd shine a light down the stack just to make sure you didn't have a baffle strike, too.

View Quote

I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they recommend. I looked down the tube and didn't see any baffles damaged. Hopefully it's a quick fix on the cap. That could have explained my random groups as the day went on.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry to head about the strike, interested to hear what AAC says...
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:10:30 AM EDT
[#14]
thanks for the post very interesting and keep us up to date
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:28:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Guy on FNforum.net had a complete opposite experience:

http://fnforum.net/forums/freestyle-room/80755-banned-life-parker-mountain-machine.html

View Quote

Wow. That's crazy shit. I didn't get the impression Jarod would do anything like that. He was very courteous and seemed quite concerned providing good customer service. I will say he was slow to answer emails, but he was always very detailed in his answers to my questions when he responded.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm pretty sure their issue was more to do with business issues and the perceived theft of intellectual property. Jarod has always been a good guy to deal with in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a similar issue with my 762SD.  The can had the wobble, and I was shooting this group (red without the can, blue with can attached on the MB)

The can was actually sent back to AAC to fix the latch.  Once I got it back, it locked up tight.  And i was able to get the following group.  

even with the wobble, i didn't get a baffle strike so your can must have been VERY loose.  I've learned to invest in alignment rods just as a piece of mind.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#18]
If your can is loose, polish the bearing surface on the mount (or file it) until the ratchet makes it to the next tooth. My SCAR had accuracy issues when my can was loose as well, but tightening up the mount solved all my issues. I have a 7.62SDN-6.

Now it shoots better with the can attached than it does unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If your can is loose, polish the bearing surface on the mount (or file it) until the ratchet makes it to the next tooth. My SCAR had accuracy issues when my can was loose as well, but tightening up the mount solved all my issues. I have a 7.62SDN-6.

View Quote

I've heard this before, but don't understand what to file or polish? Would you mind posting a pic of the area your talking about?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Can is going back to AAC. Just got the return email. Fixing the end cap and looking at the latch. Hopefully gets a refinish too, she is quite battle worn.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've heard this before, but don't understand what to file or polish? Would you mind posting a pic of the area your talking about?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBOloV9gRIc
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread makes me happy I picked up a surefire can years ago. I'm glad to see its not the barrel work though. I'm sending Jarod my barrel for work soon. I'm having him permanently attach my mount though because I'm impatient and don't feel like waiting on another stamp.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#23]
So a little update: I had some issues at the range this past weekend. Seems I may have an over gassing issue... I am using the larger (1.9mm I think) gas screw that came back from PMM in my 17 and had 4 double feed/rounds bouncing up over the chamber. I think this could be caused by the rifle cycling so hard and bouncing the next round up out of the mag. It literally went over the chamber and got bent by the returning bolt. Also I had a ton of gas blowback, way too much. I installed the smaller gas screw and will test on both gas settings this weekend.

I am considering ordering some smaller screws from Midwest. I read a thread here from awhile back saying 1.35 worked well on the suppressed scar. For $5 I may get 2-3 sizes and test them all, maybe 1.35, 1.45 and 1.55. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had this issue and how you resolved it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Edit: wrong thread!
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am considering ordering some smaller screws from Midwest. I read a thread here from awhile back saying 1.35 worked well on the suppressed scar. For $5 I may get 2-3 sizes and test them all, maybe 1.35, 1.45 and 1.55. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had this issue and how you resolved it.
View Quote

I had a thread concerning changing the gas jets to smaller size to tune the rifle some.  I haven't updated because I am still testing things.

I am currently running a 1.30mm gas jet in my 16" barrel.  With the smaller gas jet in the rifle the normal position runs everything.  The suppressed setting is now truly suppressed only since the rifle will only cycle about 90% of the time, but will not pick up the next round without the can attached.  

With this smaller gas jet in my rifle I personally have experienced 1 malfunction, and had 2 other people shoot my rifle also have a malfunction.  All 3 were the same; the rifle fired, ejected, and did not pickup/feed the next round.  For me it was on a clean rifle fresh from the gas jet change on the 4th or 5th round fired in initial testing.  The 2nd and 3rd malf's happened this past weekend with two buddies who shot a scarH for the first time with my rifle.  Both were from prone, and both did this with the first shot fired.  The rifle at this point is very dirty with about 800rds fired since the gas port change.  I might have found the cleanliness limit with this rifle and gas jet selection.

ETA: I am actually running the 1.30mm gas jet.  I bought the 1.30, 1.35, and 1.40mm gas jets for testing.  Put the smallest in the rifle and it has run since then.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#26]
+/- one tooth on a 51T mount is not enough to cause a baffle strike unless you have an alignment issue already. Alignment with his can doesn't mean much. You need to check with your mount an suppressor to ensure everything is concentric and lined up properly.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quick update: got some different size gas jets. Had no issues with 1.45mm suppressed, minimal gas in the face, lighter recoil. Gonna stick with it for now.

" />
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quick update: having lots of issues with gas screw in the 17. It will work suppressed with with one size and unsuppressed with another but will not do both with any one screw.

Emailed PMM today, will speak with Jarod tomorrow and see what he recommends.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:45:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Well...I guess I'll be buying a factory 13" SCAR barrel vs. a chop... Best of luck getting it figured out.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 2:06:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well...I guess I'll be buying a factory 13" SCAR barrel vs. a chop... Best of luck getting it figured out.
View Quote

I cannot say it is because of the work. Jarod has been standup and called me immediately after I emailed him today. I had laid down for a nap and missed his call but he is eager to help.

I have tried both screws he sent with the gun, as well as 1.45,1.55, and 1.65mm gas screws and it will work unsuppressed with one and suppressed with another but not both....

I may try different mags, different ammo, see if I can narrow down the cause. As of now, I don't really know where to start though. Fuck.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Update # whatever:

Spoke with Jarod yesterday afternoon and he gave me a few ideas as to what could have been giving me trouble. He gave me some insight into how he tests and evaluates his weapons, etc... Anyway, that guy is outstanding. Truly cares about customer service over anything else. I will be ordering some more small parts from him soon and can't recommend them enough.

So I went to the range when it opened this morning after work and brought 40 rounds of Winchester XM80cl (dirty as fuck) and 60 rounds of my preferred ZQI. I split it down the middle, 50 loud and 50 suppressed. I installed the 1.50mm (factory 16") gas screw as per Jarod and several other members here and on FNforums advise.

All 100 rounds went off flawlessly. The Win is dirtier than ZQI and gassy. Both were noticeably gassier than with the 1.45mm screw. It wasn't unbearable, just noticeable.

All in all I'm pretty happy right now. I didn't ever doubt PMMs work, just waned to see what he had to say and he was very helpful.

Obligatory gun pron:

" />
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top