Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2016 11:31:47 PM EDT
Is there a reason?  Would love to buy a 10.5" scar16 and add a stock after the stamp shows up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess is military contracts are #1 goal and they seem to be selling every Scar they make on the civilian side.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:51:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Cause FN is a shitty company that makes good products.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cause FN is a shitty company that makes good products.
View Quote
Ya, know, you're right!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Prolly something to do with importation laws and the way the scars are imported in rifle format
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Its easier to get a pistol in than a rifle... MKE is bringing in all kinds of 'rifles' as pistols, as is CZ with the Bren and Scorpion.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]
FN already has the logistics in place to import sporterized SCARs, then de-sporterize them and add the US parts. Be very glad they do the leg work to import an un-neutered military pattern rifle. A 10" factory barrel is $900. The 16" barrel can be sold for $600-$700. Or have Marvin Pitts chop your barrel. If you had a pistol and SBRd it, you would need a stock and 922(r) parts, all of which would make it more costly to SBR a pistol than to SBR the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
FN already has the logistics in place to import sporterized SCARs, then de-sporterize them and add the US parts. Be very glad they do the leg work to import an un-neutered military pattern rifle. A 10" factory barrel is $900. The 16" barrel can be sold for $600-$700. Or have Marvin Pitts chop your barrel. If you had a pistol and SBRd it, you would need a stock and 922(r) parts, all of which would make it more costly to SBR a pistol than to SBR the rifle.
View Quote

FN already has the logistics in place to import pistol SCARs, too, with quite a bit less work.  The only reason the short barrels cost more is the limited aftermarket demand.  They probably cost the same to make as the full sized barrels.

Everybody is plenty happy to buy what they're offering, but they are missing out by not offering a pistol option.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Prolly something to do with importation laws and the way the scars are imported in rifle format
View Quote

This exactly.  Once a rifle, never a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#9]
All they have to do make pistols is not put stocks on them, and put shorter barrels on them.  Pretty sure they can handle that...without making a single new part.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
All they have to do make pistols is not put stocks on them, and put shorter barrels on them.  Pretty sure they can handle that...without making a single new part.
View Quote

That's just it - under current regs the SCAR has to be imported as a rifle.  To make the necessary changes takes alot more than you might think...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's just it - under current regs the SCAR has to be imported as a rifle.  To make the necessary changes takes alot more than you might think...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does not "have" to be imported as a rifle, that's a ridiculous statement. Pistol configurations are easier to import.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It does not "have" to be imported as a rifle, that's a ridiculous statement. Pistol configurations are easier to import.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was my understanding as well because they wouldn't have to follow 922r. But then if they didn't add the compliance parts the buyer would, which could make it more difficult and expensive in the end for the buyer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#13]
As an adoring 16 and 17 owner, I was really hoping that FN would release one as well. My interest has faded significantly, if not completely, after adding the 805 Bren pistol (threaded in 1/2x28). The quality (of the lower, the trigger and the action) is top notch - perhaps exceeding that of my beloved Scars. If you like your 16, try to get your hands on the 805.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#14]
They already make the SCAR PDW. They would just need to take the stock off and boom! A 7" SCAR pistol.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:34:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Import of pistols would require FN to get ATF approval of SCAR pistols for importation. Would have to have sufficient points for import. They already have rifles approved for import. I would prefer they simply offer factory SBRs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As an adoring 16 and 17 owner, I was really hoping that FN would release one as well. My interest has faded significantly, if not completely, after adding the 805 Bren pistol (threaded in 1/2x28). The quality (of the lower, the trigger and the action) is top notch - perhaps exceeding that of my beloved Scars. If you like your 16, try to get your hands on the 805.
View Quote

Don't like how the end user is not able to disassemble the 805 BCG.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bolt is user-serviceable and it's very simple to do. I had mine apart last night.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh?  Like what.

Don't just say "it's a lot more than you think."  Tell us what more is involved.

How is it more complicated for FN, then it is for the MKE guns?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd rather they offer factory SBR rifles.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd rather they offer factory SBR rifles.
View Quote

SBRs are also within their capability, and would be cool, but all a pistol would require is ATF approval... like everyone else is getting right now (MKE, CZ, etc).  And some folks like pistols since you don't have to wait for tax stamps to take delivery and go shooting.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Because it would be gay kind of like vaping.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe if you lived in a non-SBR state. Otherwise, the whole point of a factory rifle caliber "pistol" is the ease of converting it to an SBR.

I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks to add a stock to a SCAR pistol than $900 to add a shorter barrel to a SCAR rifle.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This comment and your username
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top