Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/11/2016 3:44:26 PM EDT
Kinda thinking about getting a SCAR 17.

Seems like it would be a great all around rifle for defending the homestead as well as the occiasonal pig or deer hunt.

I already have a TR24 Accupoint waiting to go on it.

So tell me if it's all that and a bag of chips or not.

I'd have to sell off my Rockola M14F and one of my BCM ARs to afford the SCAR17 and some mags, not sure how I feel about that.

One thing is for sure, the SCAR would be a lot more compact and easier to haul around.

Handier to use than the M14 too !!

Someone talk me out of selling the M14F......
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I sold 3-4 rifles to get a Scar 17, didn't love it and ended up selling it to fund an SR25, no regrets.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you shot one? I'd try to shoot one a little or a lot if you can before making a decision.

Link Posted: 3/11/2016 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't sell any rifles to fund my SCARs but I have to say that they are an impressive tool. If my collection burned up tomorrow and the insurance paid off the SCAR 17 would be at the top of my list to order first. After owning mine for a couple years I sold my G series FAL, AR-10 clone and my HB 50.42 FAL........they'd either never get shot or so rarely it wouldn't be worth having them. God forbid but if I and the wife ever have to "bug out" the SCARs are our go to rifles. They're accurate, lightweight, easy to mount optics on and robust enough for our special forces.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
It was a cool gun, but sold mine to fund  2 Krebs aks and never looked back. I liked them but the more I shot it the more I felt like the hype didn't add up to what I was expecting. Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.

I'll try  to find a SCAR 17 to rent, a new indoor range here has one I think.

I'll most likely keep the M14F and my BCM AR.

I've recently mounted a Nikon 4-12 scope and also have a TNVC cheek riser
on the M14F. I've been wanting to do some longer range shooting with it set up
like that. Out to 500 yds or so. Once I see how that goes I'll have a better idea
about keeping the M14F long term.

The SCAR 17 is a sexy beast however.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Never fired mine at an indoor range.  I would expect that would be quite an experience concussion wise.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I sold several guns to get my SCAR 16 and 17.  I since sold both and really don't miss them.

I like the light weight packages, features, and great irons--they just seemed too tall and bulky and I didn't like the charging handle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sold 3-4 rifles to get a Scar 17, didn't love it and ended up selling it to fund an SR25, no regrets.
View Quote

never thought of it but you have me thinking now.

As for OP: I have had my SCAR17 for about 3 years and only about 4000 rounds through it. I love it but it does not get much play these days. I have it suppressed, Super Scar Trigger w/ iron sights only. I really do not have a role for it at this time and i think that is the biggest thing. The rifle itself is light, reliable and the barrels are shooters even with plain fed xm80. I think you would be happy with it since you are going to fill the m14's space and it seems the AR is just an extra you do not mind parting with. If you do get it to yourself a favor and get a SuperScar Trigger off the bat.

Full Disclosure: My purchase was greatly influenced from my days of playing the hell out of MW2 loaded out with a scar, suppressed, irons, cold-blooded pro & ninja pro
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I struggle with the same question.  A few years ago I found a deal on a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 scope.  I snatched it up in plans of mounting it on a Scar 17.  I wound up buying a few other guns since and now money is tighter so I can't really justify buying a 17 outright.  I do have a Vollmer HK51 semi that is a safe queen, and have considered taking it to a gun show to try to sell it to pay for a 17.  I just don't usually sell guns, so I am conflicted about it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Absolutely worth it. It's a world-class system.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It was a cool gun, but sold mine to fund  2 Krebs aks and never looked back. I liked them but the more I shot it the more I felt like the hype didn't add up to what I was expecting. Just my $0.02
View Quote

I'm not a huge scar fan, but krebs ak's are retarded

You're welcone
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I traded a CMMG MK3 .308 AR, Aimpoint micro and Arsenal 107 for my Scar 17 with Super Scar trigger. I miss the SLR 107 but overall no regrets. Filed a stamp to cut my 17 down to 13" and have a TA-11 on it with suppressor now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:26:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I sold an Arsenal 107fr and my nighthawk predator to fund my scar 17. I feel with a KDG rail and stock, along with a G trigger, you just can't beat it for a battle rifle. She's a tack driver too. With a TA11EG it's nkw my favorite rifle. I have a Sandman S in NFA jail for it right now.

Best bet is to shoot one and see for yourself. They are amazingly soft shooters for a light 308. Groups do open up quick under rapid fire, but it's all a give and take for the weight.

I just wish spare parts were easier to come by...
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:27:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Im a big fan of the platform. I think it could be refined a bit further, but it is a great package for an 8 lb battle rifle.

I think with a 1-4 or 1-6 it is just about optimal. Myself I would opt for something more precise than a TR24 but you gotta run what ya brung.

The trick is not hanging a bunch of shit from it so it stays light.

I don't think it gives up much, if anything, compared to the legacy battle rifles.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#15]
My TR24 does have the #4 cross hairs with the 1 MOA green dot so it is a little more precise
than the triangle post.

Works out real nice on my BCM KMR Recce
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#16]
When I revised my collection my M1A loaded and PTR-91 with Aimpoint became a Scar with a quality 1-4X and I couldn't be happier.

If you want a shooter there is no better choice for a 16" semi auto 7.62 in my opinion.

If the trigger rebate is still going on that makes it all that much better.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#17]
OP,

One thing I'd suggest is identify any changes you want to make to the SCAR, extended rail, G trigger, aftermarket lower, aftermarket CH, upgraded stock, etc and price out the cost of all the upgrades.  I started making a lot of these changes on mine and really quick my $2500 rifle was going to be approaching $4k.  I decided that I'd rather have something different if I was spending $4k on a rifle.  For me that was a KAC SR25, which cost me roughly $4500.  It only needed two upgrades a MagPul grip and a Raptor CH.  I'm in it for $8-900 more than I would have put into the SCAR and to me it was a better option.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I am solidly in the pro-SCAR 17 camp.  The stock trigger is crap though, and must be replaced with a Geissele trigger.  Great shooter.  Not really a paper puncher, but bangs small plates at 300m all day long.  I have a POF 308 and a Larue PredatAR 308 and I actually prefer the SCAR 17.

And FWIW, I like the SCAR 16 too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP,

One thing I'd suggest is identify any changes you want to make to the SCAR, extended rail, G trigger, aftermarket lower, aftermarket CH, upgraded stock, etc and price out the cost of all the upgrades.  I started making a lot of these changes on mine and really quick my $2500 rifle was going to be approaching $4k.  I decided that I'd rather have something different if I was spending $4k on a rifle.  For me that was a KAC SR25, which cost me roughly $4500.  It only needed two upgrades a MagPul grip and a Raptor CH.  I'm in it for $8-900 more than I would have put into the SCAR and to me it was a better option.
View Quote

I have an SR25 EMC with URX3 and an ECR with the URX3.  I love both of them, but the EMC is too heavy to be as handy as my FDE 17s.  

My 17 has been shortened with a MAMs to 16", so I have a love of KAC for sure.  

I would definitely sell an M14 and a BCM AR to get the SCAR 17.  

I also have a 16s, which is meh to me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have an SR25 EMC with URX3 and an ECR with the URX3.  I love both of them, but the EMC is too heavy to be as handy as my FDE 17s.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

It looks like the ECR tips the scales over 10 pounds.  I have an APC which is around 9 and doesn't feel much heavier than the SCAR.  I believe the ACC would be only four tenths of a pound heavier than the SCAR.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't have a problem with selling ARs, but I wouldn't ditch the M14.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I sold my M1A and a scope to fund my SCAR 17.

Don't regret it for a second.

The M14/M1A is pretty to look at, but that's about it - the SCAR blows it away in pretty much every aspect.

As far as an SR-25 goes, the answer is yes - they also kickass. But then you're going to have to sell more shit because you're going to need another grande and a half to get into SR-25 territory.

But really - there is no cool-aide to be had here despite what some people say - the SCAR 17 is pretty amazing. It's not the end all be all of battle rifles, but it's a great great rifle.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I sold this

To get my SCAR,  wish I would have just started with the scar.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

I sold a SR-25 EMC to fund a SCAR-17 and some other stuff.  I loved the EMC, but like you said it wasn't very "handy" with regards to how front heavy it was.  It also didn't like underpowered 7.62 like ZQI, where the SCAR eats it like candy all day long.  The EMC was a tad more accurate, but the SCAR is far more versatile.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Sometimes a guy who spends 3k on a rifle has some bias.
I paid $26.87 for my Scar 17S (won the bf raffle @ jsesurplus).
I have or have had them all. M1A's (Springer Loaded & Fulton) FAL's (home builds and DSA SA/STG) PTR, CETME...

Scar > all.

Much lighter than them all, less felt recoil than all others, as accurate as my best M1A on my best day, stays cleaner.

I think for 3k Fn should be ashamed of themselves for the pos childs grade plastic stock- but thats the only fault I find with it.
If WA gets its legal shit together and lets us F1 again, Ill SBR it. If not, oh well. Its as close to perfect as Ive ever shot/owned.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 1:11:01 AM EDT
[#27]
No complaints about my SCAR 17 here... Unless you're going
long, get the Elcan Specter DR

Buy Once Cry Once
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Buy Once Cry Once
View Quote

Agreed, I've tried about every optic looking for the "perfect" one. Ended up going back to the DR

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I am in the same boat as the OP. I have a IWI Tavor I hardly shoot that I could trade to get a SCAR 17. I have a SCAR 16 and love it. Should I get a big brother for it?
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Took mine out today, with the Geissele Super Scar trigger...

I think everybody who shot it will be fapping tonight.
Pure win.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:57:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am in the same boat as the OP. I have a IWI Tavor I hardly shoot that I could trade to get a SCAR 17. I have a SCAR 16 and love it. Should I get a big brother for it?
View Quote

do it
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#32]
I love both of mine
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Well I decided that I can't sell two great rifles to purchase a SCAR.

So I'm going to sell my Rockola M14F and buy back one of my really nice FALs I sold to a friend last year.

Keeping both of my BCM ARs

Thanks for all the input.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I traded a CMMG MK3 .308 AR, Aimpoint micro and Arsenal 107 for my Scar 17 with Super Scar trigger. I miss the SLR 107 but overall no regrets. Filed a stamp to cut my 17 down to 13" and have a TA-11 on it with suppressor now.
View Quote

You will never regret getting rid of an AK for a SCAR 17.  You have a more ergonomic rifle, more powerful round, and the softest shooting, lightest weight 7.62x51 on the planet.
The only downside I can think of is that ammo will cost more...

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Agreed, I've tried about every optic looking for the "perfect" one. Ended up going back to the DR

<a href="http://s847.photobucket.com/user/samuraijesse/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140509_135234_zpsgsuroxwl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/samuraijesse/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140509_135234_zpsgsuroxwl.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy Once Cry Once

<a href="http://s847.photobucket.com/user/samuraijesse/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140509_135234_zpsgsuroxwl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/samuraijesse/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140509_135234_zpsgsuroxwl.jpg</a>

Nice pic, did you try the Trijicon TA11 as well?  I just got a TA11-H-308.  I think its a good match for the 17.
Elcan is a good choice too.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You will never regret getting rid of an AK for a SCAR 17.  You have a more ergonomic rifle, more powerful round, and the softest shooting, lightest weight 7.62x51 on the planet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent analysis.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Do it!  I've either owned or shot pretty much every other 308 platform out there, & if I had to give up all boomsticks save one the 17S would be the last to go!
Sold the M1A, ruled out an FAL, but I'll admit to still having an M&P10.  Never ever gets shot, though.  The big SCAR just warms my heart.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#38]
IMHO there are three things worth selling most other guns and associated crap to attain:

- Scar 17s
- PVS-14 (head mount and dbal/cqbl-1 etc)
- Training to use them
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sometimes a guy who spends 3k on a rifle has some bias.

I paid $26.87 for my Scar 17S (won the bf raffle @ jsesurplus).

I have or have had them all. M1A's (Springer Loaded & Fulton) FAL's (home builds and DSA SA/STG) PTR, CETME...

Scar > all.

Much lighter than them all, less felt recoil than all others, as accurate as my best M1A on my best day, stays cleaner.

I think for 3k Fn should be ashamed of themselves for the pos childs grade plastic stock- but thats the only fault I find with it.

If WA gets its legal shit together and lets us F1 again, Ill SBR it. If not, oh well. Its as close to perfect as Ive ever shot/owned.
View Quote

Agreed, the ACR stock offered by kinetic is a worthwhile (and inexplicably lighter) alternative to the hollow plastic "Ugg boot" factory stock.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:55:09 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a MK11, SR-25 EMC (delta), M14 EBR, FN FAL 50.61 and SCAR 17. I've owned a G3, Armalite, DPMS, and a few other AR-10 style rifles. If I had to pick up one and fight it would be my SCAR 17 (SBR)

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
IMHO there are three things worth selling most other guns and associated crap to attain:

- Scar 17s
- PVS-14 (head mount and dbal/cqbl-1 etc)
- Training to use them
View Quote

So this.

Coupla years ago I sold a bunch of C&R crap to buy a PVS-14. Worth. Every. Penny.

Feb, I sold same guns and other crap to buy a SCAR 17. Worth. Every. Penny.

Last week I bought a PEQ-15 to complete my NV circle of death. Worth. Every. Penny.

edit: Since June of last year I've become a training junkie.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Training, an essential part of a balanced Circle of Death.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have a MK11, SR-25 EMC (delta), M14 EBR, FN FAL 50.61 and SCAR 17. I've owned a G3, Armalite, DPMS, and a few other AR-10 style rifles. If I had to pick up one and fight it would be my SCAR 17 (SBR)

<a href="http://s887.photobucket.com/user/txmod1911/media/20151220_151317-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac74/txmod1911/20151220_151317-1.jpg</a>
View Quote

Which ACOG is that?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Would you all recommend selling a mk14 mod 0 clone build for a scar 17s? Its definitely a heavy one.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Would you all recommend selling a mk14 mod 0 clone build for a scar 17s? Its definitely a heavy one.
View Quote

I wouldnt think twice nor look back.

Ive already put one M1A on the block (Fulton Scout at local FFL on consignment) and will probably put up my Springer when that sells.
Its just not even close. Find a friend, shot their SCAR and determine for yourself.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Have you shot one? I'd try to shoot one a little or a lot if you can before making a decision.

View Quote

This, but I doubt I'd give up an M14 and a good AR I liked for a SCAR 17, unless you can shoot one and just LOVE the hell out of it, I'd wait and just keep what you got and buy one down the road. If you can afford to just put back $50 a week, you'd be surprised how fast it adds up, in a years time you could probably buy one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#48]
based purely on shooting, SCAR-17 is miles ahead of pretty much everything else available in 7.62 except for an AR-10, but those are kinda boring and the SCAR is still better although given the price difference, it better damn be.

However, I love my M-1A and FAL, can't imagine not having them for old times sake.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I didn't have to sell my M-14 to buy my 17.  But I will tell you this, my M14 hasn't come off the rack once since I bought my 17.  I also realized I didn't need my Larue .308 gun anymore and sold that.  I also haven't taken my FAL, G3 etc off the rack since the 17 came home.  I still have an AR, AK lots of other guns but if the zombies come its the 17 I will grab.  If I had to start selling guns I think that realistically my 17 would be the last to go.  It is just so damn versatile and light for its caliber.  If I kept 2 guns the second would be my 16.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Sold multiple AR's, a 74, and a model 66 to buy my SCAR. Couldn't be happier it was worth every penny. I have a mk8 scope on it now with a specwar 762.

I worked part time at a gun shop when I bought it, I literally researched and shot every other "battle rifle" on the market and was never as impressed with them.

I would say the only guns that come close are the LaRue 308's which are more accurate but heavier and harder recoiling.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top