Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2016 3:49:27 PM EDT
I'm looking into this optic for my Scar 17.
Either the TA11J-308 or the TA11H-308
Trijicon states that it's calibrated for 147 grain M80.
Does running 168 grain effect the BDC?

UPDATE: Went wit the TA11-H-308 with Red reticle.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I specifically have a TA11H-308. I cannot personally attest to the utmost precision of its BDC w/ regard to certain loads. The BDC is usually an approximation unless all the variables are the same anyway, and it will definitely be close enough to 300m. If wanting down to the inch accuracy at 300+m, the TA11 isn't the right choice anyway. I went down the road of worrying about precisely matching ACOG BDCs at extended ranges, I've now learned to just call it close enough for what it's made for.

To answer your query as best I could though, I'd assume the 168 will have a higher BC, and is likely to impact marginally higher. The difference will likely only be a few inches at any reasonable range though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the feedback, im thinking that the further down the BDC, the more inches the point of impact will be off with 168 grain.
Did you consider the TA11J at any point?
What made you go with the  TA11H?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
My choice with the horseshoe over dot again came down to philosophy of use. The difference really only matters 100 before the BDC takes over anyway, and if I'm shooting my 17 at 100m it's likely in a situation where I will want the speed of the horseshoe over the precision of the crosshair. I feel the crosshair is generally considered slightly slower albeit more precise. But again, I didn't buy it as a precision optic, so getting the crosshair seemed counter to its purpose.

Having said that, I've printed a pretty consistent <1.5 MOA at 100m using the horseshoe if benched with high-end ammo. It's thus about as precise as the rifle if needed and given effort, and at least for me, faster. This setup on my SCAR has bagged 3 deer in 3 shots thus far, from 50-100m offhand, two of which moving at a slow run.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Pretty certain that Trijicon mentions that the BDC works with most/all ammo weights as it will be inches off even at long range (may be up to 8-10" as I recall).  I think they say at long range it is basically within the thickness of the lines.  It is somewhere on the Trijicon site (pretty sure)

ETA: Here it is on the FAQ.

"The real issue is not the bullet weight or barrel length, but muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, and the distance from height above bore. The difference in trajectory from bullet to bullet or barrel to barrel is usually less than the MOA thickness of the stadia lines."
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I've owned the ta11h before and liked it for speed, but found the center dot in the horseshoe to be a little big for my tastes when shooting for accuracy. That said, ACOGs are not precision optics, but i could shoot tighter groups with the chevron than the horseshoe. I have a ta11eg (green chevron) on order right now for my 17, but a local shop got one on with the red chevron used I may snag up as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]

I am currently running this setup.  It is the TA11J-308G with the horseshoe reticle.  I will say that it is an excellent setup for the Scar 17.  It fits the role well of a DM battle rifle.  To me the best attribute of the ACOG is the light gathering capabilities.  As an example, I was shooting at night and making consistent hits on IDPA sized steel targets at 400yds with just a small floodlight illuminating the targets from 50 yds away using 168gr ammo.  The holdover to compensate for the 168gr is minuscule and I would have no qualms about shooting past 400yds with it.  

I am actually considering selling my TA11/RMR combo due to the fact that the ACOG does not play as well with my IRD Hunter Mk II scope in clip on mode as well as a true 1x variable power scope.  However, if it wasn't for that I would be no doubt having it live on my Scar.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/8x7bQxc.jpg?1

I am currently running this setup.  It is the TA11J-308G with the horseshoe reticle.  I will say that it is an excellent setup for the Scar 17.  It fits the role well of a DM battle rifle.  To me the best attribute of the ACOG is the light gathering capabilities.  As an example, I was shooting at night and making consistent hits on IDPA sized steel targets at 400yds with just a small floodlight illuminating the targets from 50 yds away using 168gr ammo.  The holdover to compensate for the 168gr is minuscule and I would have no qualms about shooting past 400yds with it.  

I am actually considering selling my TA11/RMR combo due to the fact that the ACOG does not play as well with my IRD Hunter Mk II scope in clip on mode as well as a true 1x variable power scope.  However, if it wasn't for that I would be no doubt having it live on my Scar.  
View Quote

This setup would be pretty ideal, the crosshair for added precision and the RMR for added speed. The horseshoe is, to me, a compromise on both. It's a compromise I love, but if I were to do the crosshair itd likely be supplemented by a top-mounted RMR. Even so I'm debating on piggybacking one on my TA-11H for snapshots hunting and the 'cool factor'.

ETA: I'm also envious of your FDE ACOG, my black one doesn't match...then again my scar, like most, is 17 shades of brown/tan/green so I guess it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you mean TA11H?  The TA11J is a cross hair.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oops, yes.  The H model with the horseshoe for the M240.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I've made up my mind for the TA11-H-308 red reticle.
I will post some pics once I get it.
Thanks for all the feedback.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think I've made up my mind for the TA11J-308 with Red Cross hairs.  
I will post some pics once I get it.
Thanks for all the feedback.
View Quote

You will like.  Although i run a NF 2.5-10X32 on my scar17, I have a TA11 on my 16" LMT 556.  Great optic.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a TA-11E on my SCAR 17. I've tried a Leupold Mark 4, the TA-11, and an aimpoint micro at one time or another. I think the TA-11E is my favorite by far.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a TA-11E on my SCAR 17. I've tried a Leupold Mark 4, the TA-11, and an aimpoint micro at one time or another. I think the TA-11E is my favorite by far.
View Quote

Agreed, it's hard to beat a TA11 on a 17, it's arguably the best battle rifle paired with arguably the best battle optic. I generally switch out scopes chasing 'the best' all the time. My 17 has had a TA-11 on it from day one and I have zero plans to change that. It's perfect for it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the green chevron ta11... love it. I debated the J but couldn't find one at the time and I'm impatient. TA11's are awesome with SCAR 17 imo
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I just changed my mind and switched to the H reticle.
My thinking is that, at only 3.5x magnification, the cross hairs won't be as necessary anyway.
The H horseshoe may be better suited for a 3.5x.
Hope my thinking is correct.  This is the downside of just looking at Internet pics and "thinking" without actually trying out each one in person.
My LGS doesn't have anything in stock to compare.
Also, I stuck with a red reticle.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I just purchased the TA11H-308G for my newly purchased SCAR 17.  Looking forward to mounting it up and giving it a workout.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the TA11 with green chevron reticle - went with this one because I got an excellent deal on the EE. No complaints so far - a good fixed power optic for the SCAR
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just purchased the TA11H-308G for my newly purchased SCAR 17.  Looking forward to mounting it up and giving it a workout.
View Quote

x2
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

x2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2

What made you guys go with the H reticle over the others?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Ta11J-G on mine very pleased with it, no science behind my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

x2

I looked through each at the last gunshot and the chevron one was very small to see and I liked the H the best.  I should get it soon so I hope I chose wisely.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:14:46 AM EDT
[#23]
For me it was 20 years of trial and error. I bought my first ACOG in 1997 that had the donut of death. I liked it in that my eye was naturally drawn to the donut and I could make shots quickly and with good accuracy. By good, I mean I was able to keep 5 shot groups of Australian surplus 7.62x51 to about 1.5" groups at 100 yards on a regular basis with my HK91 (Williams Trigger and heavy duty buffer equipped).

In the early 2000s the chevron came out and so my next ACOG purchase was equipped with a chevron. I was able to maintain the same accuracy but it took a bit more concentration for me to make my shots.

When the horseshoe came out it reminded me a lot of the Eotech reticle so my next acquisitions were all horseshoe equipped. For me the horseshoe was just as accurate as the other 2 reticles but I was much faster settling in on the target and firing. It was also a lot easier to use the BAC  with the horseshoe. Almost all of my rifles are now equipped with ACOGs with horseshoes.  Even my first ACOG was converted to a horseshoe reticle when it came time to replace the tritium.The only exceptions are a couple of ACOGs equipped with the 300 BLK reticle cross hairs which are pretty nice as well. YMMV

The only way to tell if you like a particular reticle is to go out and try them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#24]
tag for info
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree it's a great optic for the 17s in its "battle rifle" configuration ..... The Vortex Razor 1-6 is another great optic choice but it's heavier

I have mine setup more so as a DMR rifle so I have a variable power scope
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I never updated my thread.  I ended up going with the TA11-H-308 with red reticle.  Wasn't really down for the green.
I also used a GDI mount, expensive, but very well made.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I never updated my thread.  I ended up going with the TA11-H-308 with red reticle.  Wasn't really down for the green.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/FWiU8w" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7416/26212497004_5c01355bbc_b.jpg</a>
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/FWiTNd" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7735/26212495884_da23017cb3_b.jpg</a>
View Quote

That looks really good. I too am vacillating between the chevron or the crosshairs with the TA11 for my SCAR 17. I have the Chevron now in a TA31f on my favorite AR but I think a  crosshair reticle may suit the 308 round better...
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Pretty certain that Trijicon mentions that the BDC works with most/all ammo weights as it will be inches off even at long range (may be up to 8-10" as I recall).  I think they say at long range it is basically within the thickness of the lines.  It is somewhere on the Trijicon site (pretty sure)

ETA: Here it is on the FAQ.

"The real issue is not the bullet weight or barrel length, but muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, and the distance from height above bore. The difference in trajectory from bullet to bullet or barrel to barrel is usually less than the MOA thickness of the stadia lines."
View Quote

Yup. I have had a couple threads where I told people the 223 and 308 models work fine interchangeably and got hammered until they actually looked up the dope

Everyone gets hung up on bullet weight but skips the part where it was calibrated on a 20" barrel instead of 14.5" or whatever. You can also tweak your sight in to make it closer to your load just like hunters have been doing since the dawn of time. 1" high at 100 instead of dead on etc.

I really want a TA11 but as little as I have been shooting my ta33 will have to do.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Hate to hijack but does anyone like TA31 on SCAR 17?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would like to hear about this too.  And which reticle.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That looks really good. I too am vacillating between the chevron or the crosshairs with the TA11 for my SCAR 17. I have the Chevron now in a TA31f on my favorite AR but I think a  crosshair reticle may suit the 308 round better...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/FWiU8w" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7416/26212497004_5c01355bbc_b.jpg</a>
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/FWiTNd" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7735/26212495884_da23017cb3_b.jpg</a>

You can't go wrong either way.  I chose the the H reticle because I like how I can use the horseshoe/dot for fast target acquisitions, and the BDC if I want to reach out.  The BDC on the TA11-H-308 goes past 1000 meters.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

TA31 has very short eye relief for a 308 rifle. I wouldn't do it.

If you want something smaller than the TA11, I would look at the TA33.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I you want something smaller than the TA11, I would look at the TA33.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I you want something smaller than the TA11, I would look at the TA33.

I used a ta31 while waiting for my ta11, the glass would bump my glasses under recoil.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Not bad at 100 yards with my SCAR and TA11H-308G.  The Horseshoe covered the black perfectly.  Top is FGMM 168gr and I adjusted the scope a little which showed the different groups.  Probably 7-10 in the larger group.

Bottom is ZQI.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I haven't considered the horseshoe, maybe it's something I should look at.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:59:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I haven't considered the horseshoe, maybe it's something I should look at.
View Quote

I researched it for a while before getting my TA11-H-308. A few calls to Trijicon as well about a reticle choice.  A few of the guys over there said this was hands down the best choice for a Scar 17.  You get a combination of speed with the horseshoe-dot and distance with the BDC.  It's also a ranging reticle (for those not familiar with the use of ACOGs).

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 3:14:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Some more pics:

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#38]
how much oil do you have on your acog?

and pull off your sticker
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
how much oil do you have on your acog?

and pull off your sticker
View Quote

It looks worse in the pic for some reason, and no.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I would like to see Primary Arms do a run of the TA 11 with their ACSS reticle like they offer with the TA 31...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top