Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2016 10:48:04 PM EDT
So I had my 16in cut down to 10in finally got it back and took it to the range would not seat a round after about two shots. Every third round would not feed property any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely a gas issue, you probably need to enlarge the gas port. For a potential temporary fix try running it with a suppressor to see if the extra back pressure from the can resolves the issue.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you change out the gas screw?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes the gas screw was changed when it was cut. I had everything done by PMM
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]
1.  Call who did your barrel cut

In the meantime
1.  Are you using non modified pmags?
2.  Make sure gas selector is in non suppressed setting?
3.  Double check that the gas screw is the correct size?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#5]

get one of the 1.70 gas control jet screws from handl.

my 10.5 inch barrel 16 will run 5.56 suppressed and unsuppressed.  it will run .223 suppressed and unsuppressed.  with tula, it won't lock back on the last round unsuppressed but it loads and fires fine.  I have had no issues with gas-to-the-face with 5.56 or .223 suppressed.

if you want to fine tune yours, the FN gas screws are about $5 each at Midwest gun works.  the stainless steel ones from handl run about $7 each.
eta: handl recommends the 2.25 jet for the 16 but you will be over-gassed.  most will find the 1.70-1.85 range works best.
changing them out is very simple.  you can find directions on the handl website.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:43:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
get one of the 2.25 gas control jet screws from handl.  

my 10 inch barrel 16 will run 5.56 100% unsuppressed and it will run some .223 unsuppressed.  tula seems to be the weakest.  mine will fire about 3-5 rounds and then fail to feed the tula rounds unsuppressed.

it will run both 5.56 and .223 with a suppressor.

if you want to fine tune yours, the FN gas screws are about $5 each at Midwest gun works.

eta: I just use the 2.25 screw in mine.  changing them out is very simple.  you can find directions on the handl website.

Thank you I will try that k think it could be the mags but I'll probably pick up an extra gas screw.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:54:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Wish I'd never seen this post!  Guess where my barrel assembly just arrived today to be chopped :)

If you wouldn't mind updating your progress OP, I'd really appreciate it!  PMM supposedly supplies two jets (one installed) when he returns them to the customer: "Appropriate size Gas jet is installed in barrel by PMM at the time of service this will vary in size depending upon the length of barrel you choose. Additionally I provide one back up Gas jet the next size larger and your factory gas jet".
Also, what is the approximate "true" turn-around time?
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:26:38 AM EDT
[#8]
FWIW, PMM cut my SCAR 16 barrel down to 14" and pinned/welded a Surefire brake,  Works perfect and I couldn't be happier.  Turnaround was fast too.  Sorry for your problems.  I am certain that they will get you squared away.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wish I'd never seen this post!  Guess where my barrel assembly just arrived today to be chopped :)

If you wouldn't mind updating your progress OP, I'd really appreciate it!  PMM supposedly supplies two jets (one installed) when he returns them to the customer: "Appropriate size Gas jet is installed in barrel by PMM at the time of service this will vary in size depending upon the length of barrel you choose. Additionally I provide one back up Gas jet the next size larger and your factory gas jet".
View Quote

My barrel is also there being cut. I wouldn't sweat it, they do good work. As far as the gas issue, it's an easy fix, just get some extra jets and replace if you have any issues.

There are many PMM cut barrels out there running fine, I'm guessing it's more of a ammo related issue.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Interested to hear what's up with the OP's situation.  I'm sure everything will be fine on the barrels, and fell like I'd done a fair amount of research before sending it to PMM.  Couldn't find anyone posting serious issues.  Also had a good feeling about things after speaking to Jarod on the phone when we talked about the work pre-sending it.  

This has been a long project for me and I honestly just wish I'd ponied up and bought a 10" FN OEM assembly and drove on.  Could have sold my 16" barrel since its never, ever going back on the gun either way.  

Once I have the chopped assembly in hand that opinion hopefully will change!
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Interested to hear what's up with the OP's situation.  I'm sure everything will be fine on the barrels, and fell like I'd done a fair amount of research before sending it to PMM.  Couldn't find anyone posting serious issues.  Also had a good feeling about things after speaking to Jarod on the phone when we talked about the work pre-sending it.  

This has been a long project for me and I honestly just wish I'd ponied up and bought a 10" FN OEM assembly and drove on.  Could have sold my 16" barrel since its never, ever going back on the gun either way.  

Once I have the chopped assembly in hand that opinion hopefully will change!
View Quote

I was going to go OEM but 1k vs 165.00 made it a easy decision. I can always buy a factory barrel down the road if I find one at a good price.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:32:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Guys just because one person is having problems doesn't mean PMM does bad work. There are a lot of variables here, mainly ammunition and the gas screw. Jarod cut my barrel down a few months back and I am currently running it in a rifle course. So far around 400 rounds down range with only two type 1 malfunctions. At first I thought WTF happened!? How could I go the first 200+ rounds flawless and then have the two malfunctions back to back. Well unbeknownst to me the instructor saw exactly what happened. Somehow my sling got wrapped up with the charging handle causing it to short stroke. Bottom line Jarod is a standup guy and if he has your barrel his work is as good as Adco or Marvin Pitts over at Nefarious.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Another PMM success story here, too.  

You can replace the gas screws, it's not PMM's fault.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Not doubting the quality of his work, or saying he's anything but a stand up guy.  This topic just happened at the exact moment my barrel assembly arrived there to get chopped!  Have PMM QD attachments for the SCAR, UMP and my CZ Scorpion and all of those items are very well constructed and quality parts.

My barrel is on the way back, supposedly arriving tomorrow (usps is less that accurate on tracking) and I'll test it immediately/post results.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Barrel assembly arrived today from PMM with their 1.9mm gas screw.  Very briefly, tested with XM193 (was getting dark).  Loaded  two magazines with one round each to check lock-back on empty - both passed. Fired five rounds slow, dumped the remainder as fast as I could pull the trigger - zero issues.  Obviously, very preliminary results but I feel much better now
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Where/who is PMM and what is the price for a cut and pin?

V
OUT
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Where/who is PMM and what is the price for a cut and pin?

V
OUT
View Quote

PMM is Parker Mountain Machine.  Just GoogleFu that and a menu of gunsmithing services comes right up.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Barrel assembly arrived today from PMM with their 1.9mm gas screw.  Very briefly, tested with XM193 (was getting dark).  Loaded  two magazines with one round each to check lock-back on empty - both passed. Fired five rounds slow, dumped the remainder as fast as I could pull the trigger - zero issues.  Obviously, very preliminary results but I feel much better now
View Quote

Did Jared send you 2 extra gas screws, too?  He did on my chop.  1 larger and 1 smaller.

It works fine with the installed ones on my xm193 clone reloads, though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Did Jared send you 2 extra gas screws, too?  He did on my chop.  1 larger and 1 smaller.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He sent it with one installed (1.9mm) and the next size up (2mm) in a bag stapled to my receipt along with the original gas jet screw that was installed pre-chop.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#20]
glad to hear that the guns are working great. I have a 16/17 that I am contemplating sending off, just have not had the balls to do it yet I guess.

All of these success stories and no pics guys??????
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
glad to hear that the guns are working great. I have a 16/17 that I am contemplating sending off, just have not had the balls to do it yet I guess.

All of these success stories and no pics guys??????
View Quote

10" SCAR 16 barrel cut/threaded by PMM, runs great. They do great work. Crappy pic BTW.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Nothing but good things to say about my PMM chop. Good crown, no flaking, concentric threads, good customer service.

My 17 had 2 FTE with the gas screw yah the sent it back with. Changed out at the range and runs like a top.

Highly recommend his services!

" />
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Sending my 16s barrel off to him this week to be cut down to 10". I don't know why anyone would spend $1K on a factory barrel assembly when you can pay $165 to have it done by PMM.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 2:04:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Changed out the jet that it came with for the other one supplied, works like a charm now!
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:22:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Changed out the jet that it came with for the other one supplied, works like a charm now!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great to hear that you got it running!  Mine has been problem free.  Different optic on it now (returned all five of my EOTech's for refund)...
" />
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Great to hear that you got it running!  Mine has been problem free.  Different optic on it now (returned all five of my EOTech's for refund)...
http://<a href=http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/officer960/IMG_0671_zps1s6xn4qc.jpg</a>" />
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/officer960/IMG_0671_zps1s6xn4qc.jpg</a>" />

How do you like the Beretta?  Compared to the SCAR?  One of my sons is a lefty and I was considering buying him one of the two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top