Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2016 8:19:02 PM EDT
So I recently picked up a used FDE 17s on the EE. Stoked, but I have like 35 m110 and pmags for a 308. I am looking at getting a Handl lower. I don't want this thread turning into a dramatic he stole his design or whatever bs. I don't care. I am convinced I want one, but I'm not sure if I want the aluminum one or the Mod 2 Magnesium one. The 4oz lighter is nice, but is it $160 more nice? The only oher advantage I see is the less heat tranfer, but I don't care about that.

For guys who have one or the other how is it working out? Any issues? Mod 2 worth the extra money?
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Im with ya.  Also......lower parts fitment in the new lower?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an aluminum Handl. It is nice and works great. It is tighter fitting than the FN. It seems to have "broken in" and is nice and snug now. It makes the gun feel more soild to me. IDK if the Magnesium makes a difference, but sure is cool.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:35:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I was going to get one, but ended up buying a bunch of 17 mags with that money instead.
At the price of a Mod 2 Handle lower ($580)
You could buy 15 factory Scar 17 mags.
Just saying...
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was going to get one, but ended up buying a bunch of 17 mags with that money instead.
View Quote

This is where im at now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Im thinking about doing the same.

Only problems are I have a bunch of pmags and larue/kac mags I would have to sell off. Plus side being keeping the weight on the 17 down as much as possible.

Getting a Mod 2 would only add a few ounces. Make the rifle more solid feeling. I'd be able to use a wide range of mags inclung the boat load I already have. Down side of course is cost...
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up 5 FDE 20 round mags for $180 shipped from ManVenture Outpost
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Making one pattern magazine work in many different rifles is the smartest thing you can do.  I simplifys so many things.  I would stay away from that one, but the money spent for commonality will be well worth it in the end. I'm going to the range with the .308 semis, these mags work in all of the rifles, and one ammo box, done.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Making one pattern magazine work in many different rifles is the smartest thing you can do.  I simplifys so many things.  I would stay away from that one, but the money spent for commonality will be well worth it in the end. I'm going to the range with the .308 semis, these mags work in all of the rifles, and one ammo box, done.
View Quote

Meh, that's boring. Do you only have one pistol, no AK in the collection, no PCC, no Garand, M1A, etc?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I won't rule out a gun just because it's a proprietary mag. But if the option exists to maintain mag compatibility with my other guns of the same caliber, I'm certainly not going to sacrifice functionality for shits and giggles.

I've been using a Handle lower on my 17 for a couple of years now and it's been fantastic. The only issue I had was grinding down the bolt catch to work with pmags, but it wasn't difficult and has worked flawlessly since.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#10]
All the negative things I read about Handl were from their initial batch. If you got one they will square you away. That and FN forums, but I won't get into that.

I don't see myself getting another 308 gasser. The Scar 17 will be it for a long while. I think I am leaning toward the Handl lower (Mod 2 if I can get a deal). The main hold up now is reliability. I don't want to take my go to battle rifle and put a lower on it that may not feed pmags, larue/kac mags 100% reliably. If that's the  case I will keep the FN lower and sell all my SR25 style mags.

I  will not compromise absolute reliability.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I guarantee the standard lower with FN mags has had more reliability testing than the handl lower with pmags/sr25 mags
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't get the purpose of the Handl lower from a practical standpoint. You can buy 11 factory FN mags at retail for the cost of the less expensive version of the Handl lower. I get the "it's just freakin' cool" point, but not the practical aspect with SCAR mags being available now. I mean you are not going to be running around blasting with two 308 battle rifles simultaneously. And magazines will always have some attrition(wear, damage, loss) so you still have to compensate your original number of SR25 pattern mags to allow for the second rifle, ie 35/1 is now 35/2. I say this having both the 17 and MWS.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Meh, that's boring. Do you only have one pistol, no AK in the collection, no PCC, no Garand, M1A, etc?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, thats the point.  I only have multiples that have parts commonality. No AKs ever. No Garand.The 5.56 mags are usgi to fit the FS2000's and ar's. The lower would be the better company if I decided to keep the SR patterns to keep them the same.  All pistols take the same mags.  All shotguns are 12ga. No bull shit here. Pick up a weapon, its simple what mag feeds it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I found a good deal for a Handl aluminum lower installed. I'm a mag whore. If I sold all the SR style mags I have, I could damn near buy the Handl for the hit I'd take on the mags. It's just easier for me, plus I like the idea of a billet lower over polymer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
All the negative things I read about Handl were from their initial batch. If you got one they will square you away. That and FN forums, but I won't get into that. ...

The main hold up now is reliability. I don't want to take my go to battle rifle and put a lower on it that may not feed pmags, larue/kac mags 100% reliably.
View Quote

There was some decidedly negative drama here about Handl lowers as well.  If you search a ways back (and use google rather than the site search feature), you'll find it.  It ended poorly.

I'd assess what your uses for the rifle are to prioritize.  If you need 100% reliability and simply want standardization, then it sounds like you should leave it as it is.  If it's a toss-up between wants, it's a matter of measuring the convenience/cost of mags used across platforms with the potential for decreased reliability (as well as any unknowns that may crop up).  If you need standardization (same mags as your competition team/same mags as your other gear and you live/work someplace remote) and aren't quite as worried about the reliability, maybe the change is worth it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:57:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had one for some time, no issues. I think it's issues are sorted.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I got my Handl Mod 1 lower from Stone Fire Arms the other day. Dwyane at SFA is a great guy to deal with. Highly recommended. Anyways I installed my Handl lower and wow was it tight. I had to use a rubber mallet to fully seat it. At first it didn't like to feed my gen 2 pmags, but after installing and uninstalling the lower a bunch of times it feels like it "broke in", and it's rock solid. No problems now, but I want to run some mags through it this week to make sure she is 100%.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#19]
OEM mags are plentiful, relatively cheap & steel.  I'd buy OEM mags with the money instead.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OEM mags are plentiful, relatively cheap & steel.  I'd buy OEM mags with the money instead.
View Quote

This is the truth now.  There's no sense in buying any of the aftermarket lowers outside of the "I like how it looks" factor.  When these lowers were first envisioned, SCAR mags were rare as all hell, and you'd pay a premium to get a couple.  FN has since fixed the supply issue and they are readily available everywhere.  (Unlike the SCARs themselves at the moment. )

As much as they cost, you could get the equivalent in SCAR mags and just pitch the mags if they ever fail, but since they are steel and derived from the FAL mag, they are pretty solid.  And FN has done plenty more torture testing to the SCAR's lower than any of the aftermarket ones will ever have.

They are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist anymore, unless you're a ban-state user and sitting on a pile of super-rare pre-ban SR25 mags.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  Yea, thats the point.  I only have multiples that have parts commonality. No AKs ever. No Garand.The 5.56 mags are usgi to fit the FS2000's and ar's. The lower would be the better company if I decided to keep the SR patterns to keep them the same.  All pistols take the same mags.  All shotguns are 12ga. No bull shit here. Pick up a weapon, its simple what mag feeds it.  
View Quote

This seems to be a straightforward philosophy.  Not only standardize on calibers, but on magazines as well.  Also simplifies drum magazine purchases for bump-SAWs - that caliber drum fits all rifles in that caliber.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OEM mags are plentiful, relatively cheap & steel. I'd buy OEM mags with the money instead.
View Quote

This is the truth now. There's no sense in buying any of the aftermarket lowers outside of the "I like how it looks" factor. When these lowers were first envisioned, SCAR mags were rare as all hell, and you'd pay a premium to get a couple. FN has since fixed the supply issue and they are readily available everywhere. (Unlike the SCARs themselves at the moment. )

As much as they cost, you could get the equivalent in SCAR mags and just pitch the mags if they ever fail, but since they are steel and derived from the FAL mag, they are pretty solid. And FN has done plenty more torture testing to the SCAR's lower than any of the aftermarket ones will ever have.

They are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist anymore, unless you're a ban-state user and sitting on a pile of super-rare pre-ban SR25 mags.
View Quote

So to buy 12 new mags for your new 17 will be cheaper than, a lower that will make the SR style mags you already have that fit your other .308 rifles, and give you universal commonality?

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So to buy 12 new mags for your new 17 will be cheaper than, a lower that will make the SR style mags you already have that fit your other .308 rifles, and give you universal commonality?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OEM mags are plentiful, relatively cheap & steel. I'd buy OEM mags with the money instead.

This is the truth now. There's no sense in buying any of the aftermarket lowers outside of the "I like how it looks" factor. When these lowers were first envisioned, SCAR mags were rare as all hell, and you'd pay a premium to get a couple. FN has since fixed the supply issue and they are readily available everywhere. (Unlike the SCARs themselves at the moment. )

As much as they cost, you could get the equivalent in SCAR mags and just pitch the mags if they ever fail, but since they are steel and derived from the FAL mag, they are pretty solid. And FN has done plenty more torture testing to the SCAR's lower than any of the aftermarket ones will ever have.

6 in one hand, 1/2 dozen in the other.  Your $2800 scar 17 is now a $3200 scar 17....just to use the SR25 mags you have..........or your $2800 scar 17 will need $400-$500 in scar17 mags (if you need more than 10 mags)
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#24]
It's more like 10 SCAR mags vs the Handl lower now...  Handl just dropped the price of their aluminum MK17 lower to $350 recently.  Makes it a more viable option.  I sent mine in (came on a SCAR I recently purchased in the EE) for warranty work as it required a hammer and punch to remove the takedown pin.  They said it was a very early one and replaced the entire lower, swapped my lower parts back in, and it should be here tomorrow.  That said, I was planning on selling this lower to fund a Geiselle SCAR trigger and going back to the stock lower.  Depending on the fit I may just hold onto it...
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#25]
In the instructions that came with my G trigger it says not to use it in any non-factory lower as it may not fit and will void the warranty. Be careful.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In the instructions that came with my G trigger it says not to use it in any non-factory lower as it may not fit and will void the warranty. Be careful.
View Quote

It will go in the factory lower. The Handl will keep the stock job.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:41:10 AM EDT
[#27]
the guys on SCAR owners group say the old Handls don't take G triggers. Most of them have them. I on the other hand do not.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:31:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
the guys on SCAR owners group say the old Handls don't take G triggers. Most of them have them. I on the other hand do not.
View Quote

As of today I have a brand new lower. Debating keeping the Handl lower or not at this time. I can trade it for a Geissele trigger or a KDG ACR stock. Dunno yet. HDD claims 2 months for lower parts kits. FN hasn't responded... And I'm not swapping lower small parts to go from one lower to another.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I talked the SCAR owner group guys again. They say that Handl made a change in 2013 to take G triggers. I actually like the OEM, so.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:54:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I got extremely lucky and got a brand new SCAR-17 for $2200 out the door from a dealer going out of business, so in my case buying the basic Handl lower and selling the OEM for $100 put me at the price most guys paid outright (at the time). I own a lot of AR-10 type rifles that use the same magazine so I was one of those who it made a lot of sense to do the conversion for. I pulled the factory lower apart and put the Handl lower together myself and I am very happy with it.

The only issue I have had with it to date is that the Lancer 7.62x51/.308 magazines have a very high-rising platform to trip the bolt hold open compared to other AR-10 magazines, so with one round left in the magazine my SCAR-17 will lock open instead of feeding it. I only have about 5 Lancer magazines so it's not a big deal to me, and even then 19 rounds still feed with no issues.

The real sad thing is I almost didn't buy the SCAR-17 in the first place because I figured it was just another overblown, overhyped rifle. Damn glad I decided to give it a try, after putting the KDG stock and a TA11 ACOG on it, it's my favorite hog/hiking rifle.. probably weighs literally half of what either of my LMT MWS rifles do.. so in my case I can't really see the benefit of the magnesium lower for the extra cash unless weight was just a serious and major concern..
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I have the Lancers with the black follower. I just trimmed the little protrusion. It still works in my SIG716 just fine. Not a big deal IMO
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#32]
dupe post
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top