Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/8/2015 1:13:39 AM EDT
A guy at work (former Army ranger), told me that the harmonic vibrations that the SCAR creates doesn't mesh well with EOTechs and destroys them. Can anyone concur?
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#1]
pretty sure it's the bolt coming forward that does the damage. I've not tested myself...but heard a fair amount of bitching about them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 1:53:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The high G forces caused by the piston striking the carrier and the negative G forces of the carrier returning to battery are punishing. I don't know about EOTechs (which suck for many reasons) but they break various night optics.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 2:15:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A guy at work (former Army ranger), told me that the harmonic vibrations that the SCAR creates doesn't mesh well with EOTechs and destroys them. Can anyone concur?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#4]
From the latest info out there it seems everything destroys Eotech's.  Including temperature, water and humidity.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From the latest info out there it seems everything destroys Eotech's.  Including temperature, water and humidity.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#6]
From reading around the net not just eotechs but optics in general.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was shooting a 5.45x39 AR w/ a Bump-Fire stock a few years ago, when the attached EoTech sight failed. The mirror started flipping around inside the sight after two mags. The owner(our very own Undefined) sent it back to them for an explanation and repair. He got it back fixed, but they refused to answer him about how it happened. "It's fixed, fuggedaboudit.." Was their reply, sort of.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Send your eotechs to me for proper consumption.  

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or send em back to eotech for a free upgrade.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The high G forces caused by the piston striking the carrier and the negative G forces of the carrier returning to battery are punishing. I don't know about EOTechs (which suck for many reasons) but they break various night optics.
View Quote

The SCAR carrier assembly is something like 3x the mass of an SR-25, and also places the mounting point further above the line of travel.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#11]
The recoil impulse of a fucking airsoft rifle isn't "compatible" with an EOTech. They are shitty quality optics, especially the AA powered models like the 512. I've had multiple EOTechs shit the bed just on my issued weapon for work and my personal ARs.

If you put a QUALITY optic on your SCAR, i.e. Aimpoint, Trijicon, NF, Bushnell Elite Tactical, Vortex, ect, you won't have any issues.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#12]
SCAR 17s and EOTech XPS2-2 never had an issue with it on my SCAR.  On that note both my Eo's are going back to L3 today when I drop them off for shipment.  Aimpoint Pro on its way to replace them.
I mostly use a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 on my SCAR (70%).
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Check those threads from the battlefield LV guy.  A scar w/ an aimpoint is apparently GTG for hundreds of thousands of rounds.  I have a bunch of eotechs, including on scars.  Never had any problems, but I'll probably start transitioning to aimpoints.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#14]
The SCAR, particularly in 7.62x51 can be punishing on optics more so than the AR, that is pretty well established.   It's also well established optics like Leupold, Nightforce and Aimpoint with solid mounts are good to go on the SCAR (preferably a SCAR specific mount).  Eotechs suck on anything.  I wouldn't trust IR lasers, night vision or thermal scopes on a SCAR based on numerous reports of the SCAR destroying them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Eotechs fall into 2 different categories.

Pre xps/exps or xpa/exps.

The older models with inline batteries will have issues. Newer models with the battery compartment inbthe front does not have this problem.

Ive run a exps on my scar 17 for lotsa rounds. Works great, holds zero and no issues.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Eotech's break because they are Eotechs.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Did you miss the settlement where EOTech admitted their optics were shit?
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought my son an EOTech for his birthday and he broke it while removing the gift wrap. I wouldn't mount an EOTech on my daughter's Red Ryder BB gun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Sure, that's one way to look at it. The newer xps optics fixed the battery compartments.

What didn't change was the inherent design of being an HWS. Even Eotech has come out and admitted that every HWS product they've ever built is inherently defective regardless of series, model, or date of production.
View Quote

Which is misleading and being parroted by those that don't understand the issue.

Despite its short comings, it was still used happily by Soldiers, Marines, LEO's, Spec Ops, and civilians around the world.  It is still the Fastest on target sight out there and not as expensive as aimpoints ridiculous $800 red dots that cost them about $25 to make.

zero walking in extreme temps doesn't matter when your shooting someone across the room and time is the most important factor.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Eotch is issuing refunds for every HWS they make. Just sent my EXPS 3-0 back for full purchase price, moving over to aimpoint micros or ACOGs on everything. Testing showed that none of their housings were as waterproof as claimed, and like 20 degrees and below could make the optics zero shift up to 20moa... I don't know how but theres a huge thread in GD about it. The government sued them over it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Point of impact changes with EVERY optic when temperature changes!  Chronograph your rounds in winter and summer and you will notice a huge change in velocity and thus a significant change in POI.  Most people don't notice due to the fact they NEVER shoot beyond 100-300 meters.

This whole controversy is total bullshit.  I'll gladly dispose of all your "defective" exps eotech sights numbskulls.  I know plenty of people that use them in temps from -20 to 120 without issue or complaint.

20moa, you've got to be kidding me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Point of impact changes with EVERY optic when temperature changes!  Chronograph your rounds in winter and summer and you will notice a huge change in velocity and thus a significant change in POI.  Most people don't notice due to the fact they NEVER shoot beyond 100-300 meters.

This whole controversy is total bullshit.  I'll gladly dispose of all your "defective" exps eotech sights numbskulls.  I know plenty of people that use them in temps from -20 to 120 without issue or complaint.

View Quote

It's not like EOTech admitted to being lying pricks in their settlement with the government or anything.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's not like EOTech admitted to being lying pricks in their settlement with the government or anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have little doubt about your lack of veracity, but perhaps you can prove otherwise?.  What precisely did they lie about?  Also, have you experienced issues?  What optic model gave YOU issues and what were they?

All of these optic company's occasionally put out lemons, some more than others.  I've used an exps3 extensively in sub zero and 110+ F weather conditions and I've experienced ZERO poi shift beyond normal velocity variance that goes with warmer or colder weather.  Nor have any of the people I've trained with for several years now... However, all of our optics were recent manufacture not AA optics made in 2006.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Now that I think about it...

I have little doubt that the average keyboard commando boogerhook trigger press results in poi shift greater than 20moa.

Case closed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#27]
dupe
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have little doubt about your lack of veracity, but perhaps you can prove otherwise?.  What precisely did they lie about?  Also, have you experienced issues?  What optic model gave YOU issues and what were they?

All of these optic company's occasionally put out lemons, some more than others.  I've used an exps3 extensively in sub zero and 110+ F weather conditions and I've experienced ZERO poi shift beyond normal velocity variance that goes with warmer or colder weather.  Nor have any of the people I've trained with for several years now... However, all of our optics were recent manufacture not AA optics made in 2006.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is referring to this:  http://soldiersystems.net/2015/11/24/us-government-sues-l3-communications-for-fraud-involving-eotech-sights/
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I know exactly what he's talking about, but no one here has yet produced an example of a recent production Eotech giving them the issues claimed in the lawsuit that was settled.  I can stand by the quality of my sample: an Eotech exps3.  It works in extreme cold and heat without issue in my experience, no problems.

Every Tom Dick and Harry on here seems to be begging L3 for their money back based on a 26 million suit that was settled.  Most of them aren't basing that claim on an actual bad experience they themselves have had.

If none of you actually have defective optics wtf is the big deal?
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#30]
There are still naive snake oil purchasers defending EoTech?  I've spent the last 5 years trying to convince every EoTech fan I know that they're junk after seeing two crap out and breaking one in Afghanistan in 09.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#31]
http://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/file/796026/download

Facts

Does it apply to your sight?  We don't know unless you actually have a problem.  If you don't have a problem, stop bitching.

Some people will say they can't rely on any Eotech because of this suit.  BS.  You can't rely on anything you don't prove through YOUR own experience.

I've had Defective trijicons... And yet I own 5 and I trust my life to them because I've trained with them extensively in every weather condition.

I'd also still trust the EXPS3 with my life even though I prefer trijicon products with a bit more magnification for my particular needs.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There are still naive snake oil purchasers defending EoTech?  I've spent the last 5 years trying to convince every EoTech fan I know that they're junk after seeing two crap out and breaking one in Afghanistan in 09.
View Quote

I've experience complete reticle failure of a trijicon scope... So by your logic they are all shit then?

I'm not defending your POS AA Eotech that broke after lots of hard use ... Things break, especially when the design isn't the best due to battery orientation etc.

snake oil?  Really?
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Getting back to the thread:

I experienced a failure with a new Trijicon TA -33 on a Scar 17.  The scope held zero perfectly, but the black surrounding the field of view began to dissolve over time replaced by translucent splotches reminiscent in color to the spectrum of colors you'd see on a soap bubble.  Trijicon fixed it.  The replacement has survived over 2k rounds of assorted surplus without issue.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I know exactly what he's talking about, but no one here has yet produced an example of a recent production Eotech giving them the issues claimed in the lawsuit that was settled.  I can stand by the quality of my sample: an Eotech exps3.  It works in extreme cold and heat without issue in my experience, no problems.

Every Tom Dick and Harry on here seems to be begging L3 for their money back based on a 26 million suit that was settled.  Most of them aren't basing that claim on an actual bad experience they themselves have had.

View Quote

I posted earlier. I watched a group of Marines start a course with EOTechs and finish with carry handles.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I posted earlier. I watched a group of Marines start a course with EOTechs and finish with carry handles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention L3 wouldn't be paying through the nose voluntarily if there were not issues with EoTech optics. Most range users might not have issues in near ideal conditions, but that's not how everyone treats their gear.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:02:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not to mention L3 wouldn't be paying through the nose voluntarily if there were not issues with EoTech optics. Most range users might not have issues in near ideal conditions, but that's not how everyone treats their gear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What model did they start the course with?  Let me guess... AA model and likely beat to hell, kinda like all those old ass Beretta pistols everyone likes to bitch about.

Wow, great sampling of what you can expect from a brand new redesigned Eotech exps....
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:11:17 AM EDT
[#37]
26 million is hardly paying through the nose to L3.

Not all of us are blessed with ideal conditions like you are flat lander, nor the resources to have safe queens ... Or tax payer $ to replace what you break.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:12:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What model did they start the course with?  Let me guess... AA model and likely beat to hell, kinda like all those old ass Beretta pistols everyone likes to bitch about.

Wow, great sampling of what you can expect from a brand new redesigned Eotech exps....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

User name is appropriate
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

User name is appropriate
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

User name is appropriate

Lots of hate on this board, but not one person has yet given an example of a new Eotech 123a model giving them issues.

I think that's probably a pretty good indication of the Eotech EXPS lines quality Op.  you may have issues with a AA Eotech on the 17, but a 123A model Eotech should hold up on a 17 just fine.

In the off chance you do get a lemon I'm sure Eotech will replace it free of charge ... Even if your a wannabe tacticool operator like these other fine gentlemen.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:21:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

New optics, but you're seriously arguing, basically, "they aren't shit anymore"?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:43:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

New optics, but you're seriously arguing, basically, "they aren't shit anymore"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my experience and that of many others the Eotech EXPS is not, nor has it ever been "shit".  YMMV, and I'm eagerly awaiting proof that it's a terrible optic and that L3 should send us all Vortex strike fires or something.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#42]
I can't wait to talk to Eotech at Shot Show next month.  Hopefully they get it figured out either way.  I'm a fan of the reticle.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Tripwire, I had one EXPS 3-2 delaminate.....but yes no one has EVERYTHING listed issues with the XPS or EXPS models..
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Tripwire, I had one EXPS 3-2 delaminate.....but yes no one has EVERYTHING listed issues with the XPS or EXPS models..
View Quote

Yep, sounds similar to my Acog issue.  Am I right in guessing Eotech made it right for you just like Trijicon did for me?

I just think everyone is piling on the Eotech hate train when they have no business trashing the entire l3 product line and demanding their money back on perfectly functioning Eotechs because of a military contract snafu the gov settled for $26M
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yep, sounds similar to my Acog issue.  Am I right in guessing Eotech made it right for you just like Trijicon did for me?

I just think everyone is piling on the Eotech hate train when they have no business trashing the entire l3 product line and demanding their money back on perfectly functioning Eotechs because of a military contract snafu the gov settled for $26M
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If by SNAFU you mean they got caught committing fraud for a decade.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

In my experience and that of many others the Eotech EXPS is not, nor has it ever been "shit".  YMMV, and I'm eagerly awaiting proof that it's a terrible optic and that L3 should send us all Vortex strike fires or something.
View Quote

No fucking way I'm putting my money at risk to see if 15 years of shit turned into gold.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rabid fanboyism doesn't change the fact the EoTech's generally suck. But keep ignoring people with real world experience...it makes you look more rabid.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:37:54 AM EDT
[#48]
I've had an EOTech on my SCAR 17 since the end of 2012. The SCAR never killed it or caused any issues for the EOTech. However, I did decide to send it back due to the current situation, and have since ordered a Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:45:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Which is misleading and being parroted by those that don't understand the issue.

Despite its short comings, it was still used happily by Soldiers, Marines, LEO's, Spec Ops, and civilians around the world.  It is still the Fastest on target sight out there and not as expensive as aimpoints ridiculous $800 red dots that cost them about $25 to make.

zero walking in extreme temps doesn't matter when your shooting someone across the room and time is the most important factor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sure, that's one way to look at it. The newer xps optics fixed the battery compartments.

What didn't change was the inherent design of being an HWS. Even Eotech has come out and admitted that every HWS product they've ever built is inherently defective regardless of series, model, or date of production.

Seriously, there's a LOT experienced people on this site, that are what you just listed.  Funny thing?  A lot of thier opinions that have been stated don't agree with yours.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Rabid fanboyism doesn't change the fact the EoTech's generally suck. But keep ignoring people with real world experience...it makes you look more rabid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm definitely not a fanboy, I own one Eotech which I have little use for and plan to sell.  It is however a fine optic that has performed very well for me in the past.

I have real world experience ... None of my optics are safe queens and if they find their way into the safe they are sold at the first opportunity.  Unlike many in federal or large LEO orgs I don't have uncle sugar picking up the tab, if it doesn't perform I won't buy it to begin with.  The Eotech EXPS is a great sight, I can't speak for their earlier products, nor do I know anyone that can.

Rabidly hating something doesn't make it bad either.  Looks like there's gonna be lots of great deals on perfectly serviceable used and refurbished eotechs for a while.  Maybe instead of selling mine I'll mount it on the 17 for a few thousand rounds and post results after all the bitching settles down.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top