Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2015 7:42:12 PM EDT
How many rounds in the magazine?  I've seen a couple different answers to that.
And how well do they function?
Finally aren't the cartridges coated somehow and does that wear off causing reloading problems?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
50 rounds. The little I've shot them they worked, but had little effect on the steel we were shooting and they were ergonomically fubar. I don't know about reloading them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The standard magazine size is 50, but they also come with restrictors that limit them to 30 and even 10. Same 50 round mag body, swap one part and they return to full 50 round capacity.

Mine has more or less run flawlessly since day one. I got one batch of American Eagle ammo that was kind of hit or miss though.

To my knowledge the ammo has no magic coating on it. It could be argued they bathe each restricted FN AP round in unicorn tears just to be on the safe side though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Its the action of the firearms that kill the bras.

It can be reloaded, but poor case life ruins the point
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The round, 5.7X28 has a Lacquer coating that is supposedly absolutely necessary for functioning.

How reliable is the P90/PS90?

I've carried one in my Patrol car for use when the shit hits the fan.

On the 5.7X28 round, ammo selection is DAMN important!

In my 5.7 pistol I carry Elite Ammunition S4M.

It's rated at 2,600 FPS out of the 5" barrel

If you decide to go with a PS90, a few recommendations...

Use ONLY FN Factory magazines, if you wait and shop around they can be found for as little as $20 ea.

Use FN SS197 (Blue Tip) and Federal American Eagle for practice only. There have been too many reports of issues with both rounds to trust your life on them. Both brands are manufactured by Fiocchi in Ozark, MO.

Lately, the above mentioned PRACTICE ammo has been CHEAP. I recently snagged quite a bit of SS197 (Blue Tip) for $15.99 a box of 50 at Palmetto State Armory. It's now up to $16.99 a box.

SS198 (Green Tip) is DAMN reliable and is manufactured by FN in Belgium.

The PS90 SCREAMS SBR me.

It makes for a compact, fast handling Bullpup.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#5]
My SBR'd PS90 has been flawless so far. I have fired 500 rounds so far and have not had any issues other than a neck case separation with AE ammo. I am new to reloading but have fired 150 reloaded with no issues. I am very cautious and load to the min for plinking. I love this platform and highly recommend it, SBR'd or not although SBR'd is awesome and useful.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:55:53 AM EDT
[#6]
That sir is a badass case of fun!!! Did you make that yourself?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That belongs to another member of the FN Forum.

I'm planning to duplicate it only with a FN 5.7 pistol. I've already purchased the laptop case
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm planning to duplicate it only with a FN 5.7 pistol. I've already purchased the laptop case
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Case make and model? Please
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#9]
As already answered mags come in a few different sizes. I had one factory 30rd mag that I cut the spacer out of and now I can get 49rds in it.

I fired 0rds thru my ps90 before I SBR'd it. Since then I only put around 500-800rds thru it and have had 0 failures of any kind. That's running both suppressed and unsuppressed. So far I've only shot ss197sr and ss198lf. I only use factory mags and have also had 0 failures out of the mag I modified.

I haven't tried to reload but I've been saving my brass and will try it someday.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Non-molested or SBR'd, I've never had a malfunction in my PS90. I run FN blue box or Federal, modified 30/50 or 50, and no hiccups.

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I found the case that was posted above in case anyone wants one.  It is pricey, but its nice.  The foam that comes precut is a little different.  The case is based on a Pelican 1495 with custom laser cut foam.  

http://www.caseclub.com/ps90-gun-case.htm

Or you can buy the Pelican 1495 for $100 less and do it yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Case-Foam-17-25-21-63/dp/B007LEVSGS
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#12]
That is an awesome case!
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How many rounds in the magazine?  I've seen a couple different answers to that. fn makes 50s & 30s I have seen a few 10s but don't know who makes them.
And how well do they function? they are blowback and run like a top  they eject strait down and the brass is damn hot if you are a lefty look into it its an amazingly ambidextrous gun.
Finally aren't the cartridges coated somehow and does that wear off causing reloading problems?
View Quote

yes the rounds have a lubricating coating so reloaders are not suppose tp put them in tumbler media, simple green is suppose to work well.  I find it no harder to reload than any other small bottleneck round.  7.62x25  but the reloader must be very careful it s a very small very high PSI round.   a grain or two matters a hell of alot.  

they are a great gun the five seven pistol is great too.  but outside of fun plinking and varmit hunting they are meh

both the ps90 & the pistol will reach out to 200 meters I have shot the ps90 out to 450 meters but couldn't hit crap but it did get their just all over the place.  

I have dropped turkeys feral cats gophers rabbits and coyotes with the 57 blue tip varmit round  round it does very well in that role.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

a great gun the five seven pistol is great too.  but outside of fun plinking and varmit hunting they are meh

View Quote

I will disagree on this,  Nidal Malik Hasan killed thirteen people using a combination of SS192 & SS197 rounds. Neither of which is anywhere near the most effective round available in 5.7X28.

I carry Elite Ammunition S4M rated at 2,600 fps out of the 5.7 pistol. A good general defense round is the SS198.

AND, if it's such a poor performer, why did the U.S. Secret Service adopt it?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Because it's small and they rarely shoot anyone anyway.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Gary Roberts, an expert in ballistics who worked with Fackler, posted this regarding small caliber PDWs:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4338-Small-Caliber-PDW-s-FN-5-7-mm-HK-4-6-mm

I own a PS90 SBR because it is simply too interesting a design to not have one in my collection. That and I'm an AUGophile, so I had to have a PS90 given its AUG design pedigree. But as a defensive tool, after reading his review and having personal communication with Roberts, the 5.7x28 will never be my go-to.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I will disagree on this,  Nidal Malik Hasan killed thirteen people using a combination of SS192 & SS197 rounds. Neither of which is anywhere near the most effective round available in 5.7X28.

I carry Elite Ammunition S4M rated at 2,600 fps out of the 5.7 pistol. A good general defense round is the SS198.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

a great gun the five seven pistol is great too.  but outside of fun plinking and varmit hunting they are meh

The USSS adopted the 5.7 because you can have a handgun that holds 20 rounds in a standard magazine, and 50 in a small pdw that is easy to conceal

And a mass shooter isn't exactly the best proof of how well a cartridge performs

Iirc, he killed 13 and wounded 32, with 214 rounds fired
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Gary Roberts, an expert in ballistics who worked with Fackler, posted this regarding small caliber PDWs:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4338-Small-Caliber-PDW-s-FN-5-7-mm-HK-4-6-mm

I own a PS90 SBR because it is simply too interesting a design to not have one in my collection. That and I'm an AUGophile, so I had to have a PS90 given its AUG design pedigree. But as a defensive tool, after reading his review and having personal communication with Roberts, the 5.7x28 will never be my go-to.
View Quote

Real world shootings are all that matters to me.

If you worship at the Temple of Fackler you will buy into that a bowling ball going 3 feet a minute does more damage than a .50 bmg
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Most agencies that have shot people with 5.7 went back to 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Real world shootings are all that matters to me.

If you worship at the Temple of Fackler you will buy into that a bowling ball going 3 feet a minute does more damage than a .50 bmg
View Quote

Did you read the article I linked? It references real world shootings. I don't worship at the temple of Fackler. I am a scientist and Roberts has applied sound principles to evaluation of wound ballistics.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I first started carrying on duty a S&W Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" .357 Magnum. The year was 1978.

Since then I've carried a Colt 1911 .45 acp

A Glock 17 9mm
A Glock 22 .40 S&W
Back to a Glock 9mm
Finally (and currently) a FN 5.7

I feel as comfortable (and maybe more so) with the 5.7

I've wore a badge from the day of "wheel guns" to the change to semi autos, I remember the outcry when Departments started carrying 9mm's. Officers stated they wouldn't stop a rabbit much less an enraged criminal.

If you don't trust the 5.7X28 that's your problem, but I can state with confidence that two rounds to the center of mass followed by one round to the head will stop ANYONE!

A link on Hasan shooting...

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/sunday-commentary/20110617-lee-hancock-the-gun-nidal-hasan-used-to-kill-at-fort-hood.ece
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I first started carrying on duty a S&W Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" .357 Magnum. The year was 1978.

Since then I've carried a Colt 1911 .45 acp

A Glock 17 9mm
A Glock 22 .40 S&W
Back to a Glock 9mm
Finally (and currently) a FN 5.7

I feel as comfortable (and maybe more so) with the 5.7

I've wore a badge from the day of "wheel guns" to the change to semi autos, I remember the outcry when Departments started carrying 9mm's. Officers stated they wouldn't stop a rabbit much less an enraged criminal.

If you don't trust the 5.7X28 that's your problem, but I can state with confidence that two rounds to the center of mass followed by one round to the head will stop ANYONE!

A link on Hasan shooting...

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/sunday-commentary/20110617-lee-hancock-the-gun-nidal-hasan-used-to-kill-at-fort-hood.ece
View Quote

Based on the tone of the article, it was written by a prototypical hoplophobic progressive. And it has no objective ballistic information.  It would be interesting, yet overly morbid to see the coroner's reports for the deceased, records (including operative reports and radiographs where relevant) from the injured to get an idea of exactly how ballistically effective the 5.7 was going through tissue. Like any caliber it is all about shot placement. Well placed 22lr is better than misses with any ballistically superior caliber.  Frankly, well placed 22 magnum would likely have similar effect as the 5.7.    That large agencies deploying the P90 have ditched it in favor of 5.56mm is a big clue.

You like the 5.7 and that is fine.  Enjoy it.  I will stick to 9mm, 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 with high quality modern ammo for any defensive scenarios. That we have the freedom to choose what (for now) caliber we use is one of the attributes of gun ownership in the US that makes it great.

And a sincere thank you for your service - you sound to have had a long and excellent career in LE.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#23]
There is an excellent thread re: 5.7 on Lightfighter. "Timmy" in the thread has real world experience with the p90. His comments are interesting.

lightfighter thread on 5.7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top