Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2015 10:01:04 PM EDT
Trying to install my MREX, but I just can't get this damn torx screw out. Tried heating it for a long time with my heat gun and still nothing. Maybe it's still not hot enough? Should I use a torch? Am I supposed to heat it until I notice smoke coming out? (If so, then I guess I need more heat)
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Use heat like you have been.

Put the Torx bit in a vice.  Then put the barrel onto the bit.  While pushing down on the barrel above the Torx bit, use the barrel as the wrench and turn that Torx screw loose.

The barrel will provide more leverage, and pushing down onto the Torx bit in a vice is easier then pushing the bit into the barrel and using a short wrench to loosen the Torx screw.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Haven't yet but will be shortly. Parker Mountain M-LOK lower rail should hopefully be here this week.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
If your torx bit has rounded at all, lap the tip until square for a better bite before the next attempt.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use heat like you have been.

Put the Torx bit in a vice.  Then put the barrel onto the bit.  While pushing down on the barrel above the Torx bit, use the barrel as the wrench and turn that Torx screw loose.

The barrel will provide more leverage, and pushing down onto the Torx bit in a vice is easier then pushing the bit into the barrel and using a short wrench to loosen the Torx screw.
View Quote

Will be doing this today. The front screw is being a bit difficult.

ETA: Got it. Pics of the new rail later tonight.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#5]
No experience with that particular screw, but if you have a hex bit an impact driver can work wonders on stuck fasteners..
Get the benefit of the impact drive to knock it loose, and since you are hammering down into the fastener it is harder to strip the head of the fastener.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top