Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2015 2:52:37 PM EDT
Hello,  I am trying to understand a couple things about how a PS90 functions, particularly how the barrel is held in place

As I understand it, there is a spring to maintain tension on the barrel, and the flash hider (in a P90 or sbr) or the barrel sleeve (in a PS90) threads onto the barrel and uses the face of the receiver to shoulder up against to retain it.. is that correct and is that all holding the barrel in?

Given this fact, the gun will not function without something (a flash hider, sleeve, or adaptor) threaded to the end of the barrel.  

ALso, how difficult is it to swap those out in the SBR form (say I want to go back and forth between using the stock FH and a silencer adaptor.  Is that doable on the range or does that require tools (how much do you have to tighten down the muzzle attachment)?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello,  I am trying to understand a couple things about how a PS90 functions, particularly how the barrel is held in place

As I understand it, there is a spring to maintain tension on the barrel, and the flash hider (in a P90 or sbr) or the barrel sleeve (in a PS90) threads onto the barrel and uses the face of the receiver to shoulder up against to retain it.. is that correct and is that all holding the barrel in?  Correct!

Given this fact, the gun will not function without something (a flash hider, sleeve, or adaptor) threaded to the end of the barrel.  Also correct!

ALso, how difficult is it to swap those out in the SBR form (say I want to go back and forth between using the stock FH and a silencer adaptor.  Is that doable on the range or does that require tools (how much do you have to tighten down the muzzle attachment)?  It's not real easy, the barrel must be torqued to 35 ft lbs. If you are considering a Can I'd go with the GemTech P90 muzzle attachment which will also take certain GemTech Cans.

Thanks
View Quote

GemTech P90 Bi-Lock attachment...

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Another option for you when you SBR the rifle is to use the flash hider/brake/suppressor 1/2x28 adapter that is offered by several companies. That way it's easy to screw on your favorite suppressor or any 1/2x28 brake or flash hider. This is what I went with and as long as I don't torque it down too hard I can pull my A2 flash hider off by hand and immediately put on the suppressor. Works great.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks y'all, I will prob go with a 1/2x28 thread adapter for going between a sparrow or an A2.  I sure would like to have been able to swap between the P90 FH and a can ("in the field").  I dont have any gemtech cans, I am liking the idea of the sparrow for the length/weight, or a direct thread 5.56 can for maximum dB reduction.

35ft lb... like an AR-barrel nut.  How exact does that need to be (I assume that, if I have the skill to do an AR barrel swap then swapping PS90 muzzle devices is doable)?
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I went with a 3-lug adapter on top of the TROS adapter that you get when you send the barrel to him to be chopped and threaded.

You will need a thinned down 15mm wrench - or else a cone wrench for working on bicycles will work.

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went with a 3-lug adapter on top of the TROS adapter that you get when you send the barrel to him to be chopped and threaded.

You will need a thinned down 15mm wrench - or else a cone wrench for working on bicycles will work.

View Quote

Thinned down as in can I do it with a dremel?

or one of these
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

or one of these
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

or one of these

I did mine with a bench grinder but I suppose you'll eventually get there with a Dremel

The cone wrench is more than slim enough though:

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:05:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks y'all, I will prob go with a 1/2x28 thread adapter for going between a sparrow or an A2.  I sure would like to have been able to swap between the P90 FH and a can ("in the field").  I dont have any gemtech cans, I am liking the idea of the sparrow for the length/weight, or a direct thread 5.56 can for maximum dB reduction.

35ft lb... like an AR-barrel nut.  How exact does that need to be (I assume that, if I have the skill to do an AR barrel swap then swapping PS90 muzzle devices is doable)?
View Quote

Not to sound sloppy or dangerous, but the torque doesn't need to be that specific. This was told to me by the guys (guy?) at TROS. He said the only reason there even is a lb recommendation was to keep guys from cranking on it and breaking something. If it's too tight, either something will break, or there will not be enough slack for the barrel to reciprocate and you will have nonstop reliability issues.

I was very worried about the specifics of it as well, but seriously, I shouldn't have been. You just tighten it down until it's good, and you're done. Mine has had 100% reliability and has been superbly accurate considering I'm shooting offhand with a gun clearly not designed for target work.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not to sound sloppy or dangerous, but the torque doesn't need to be that specific. This was told to me by the guys (guy?) at TROS. He said the only reason there even is a lb recommendation was to keep guys from cranking on it and breaking something. If it's too tight, either something will break, or there will not be enough slack for the barrel to reciprocate and you will have nonstop reliability issues.

I was very worried about the specifics of it as well, but seriously, I shouldn't have been. You just tighten it down until it's good, and you're done. Mine has had 100% reliability and has been superbly accurate considering I'm shooting offhand with a gun clearly not designed for target work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Mark at TROS said it doesn't have to be exact, that's good enough for me.

Mark DEFINATELY knows the PS90.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You'll always shoot it suppressed, so no need to swap out.

My recommendation is to make an F1 can. Unlike 22, which you can readily find in standard/subsonic form, the 5.7x28 is mainly supersonic. The Sparrow I bought for mine is the only suppressor purchase I've made that I regret. So much so I'm going to buy another host just to use it on.

I went with the TROS setup, and have his adapter with SiCo o-ring engagement:

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/thegreghorton/Mobile%20Uploads/79A1B044-6BFA-43E4-8CFA-ABBEA47F743B_zpsoxe1mwhv.jpg
View Quote

You regret your sparrow?  I was planning to use it on the ps90.  Does it not suppress 5.7 well?  I wasn't too concerned with ultra silent but I did not want to add much weight/length.  How does a 22 9 .45 or .223 can compare to each other in the sound dept?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Another option for you when you SBR the rifle is to use the flash hider/brake/suppressor 1/2x28 adapter that is offered by several companies. That way it's easy to screw on your favorite suppressor or any 1/2x28 brake or flash hider. This is what I went with and as long as I don't torque it down too hard I can pull my A2 flash hider off by hand and immediately put on the suppressor. Works great.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u196/jaflowers/PS90_zpsnoyohcj1.jpg
View Quote
That's what i did with mine....

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top