Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2015 3:52:26 PM EDT
So I bought a SCAR-17 and like a lot of new SCAR owners I thought to myself, "I wish this thing took SR-25/M110 style magazines.." I already own several .308 ARs that use that same pattern, so for me it made sense to go through with it, plus I like customizing my guns and it helps that I actually worked under an actual gunsmith for several years, so I was pretty confident in my ability to fit one, which I figured I'd have to do considering all of the bad publicity that I'd read on FNForum.

I started looking into the different lowers about the time that the Stryker version was coming into the limelight to compete with the already in-production Handl and Cavalry versions. I think what really cinched it for me that I'd get the Handl Defense version of all the controversy surrounding it and how it was almost universally hated in every single customer review that I could find. I thought it was just a little strange that everyone was so sure the S.E.A.L. version was clearly the better option when it hadn't reached production yet. I had to see what all the fuss was about.

So with the masochist inside my set on the impending doom of a defective Handl, I went ahead and ordered it from Rainier (who by the way, sent it by priority mail when I chose the media mail option, props to them!), 2 days later, with lower in hand, I sat down with the PDF from Handl and all the proper tools (sort of, didn't actually have a 5/64th RP punch.) I spent about an hour swapping out the LPK from the factory to the Handl lower, with absolutely no fitment issues. The only thing that gave me any trouble was reinstalling the magazine release, I actually walked away for about 10-15 minutes to cool my head because it was getting on my nerves. I came back with a c-clamp, some cardboard and tape and got it together quickly and easily after that.

After double checking the fit and function with several dummy rounds and a couple of P-mags and one DPMS magazine, I felt confident enough to take it outside and put 5 rounds through it. Worked perfectly.  All three magazines insert and lock up tight without excessive force and drop free. I had heard some people having issues with the bolt catch activating with only one round left in the magazine but I never had an issue with any magazine I tried. The next morning I went out and put 60 rounds of Freedom Munitions reloads into a berm without any issues. Is that as impressive as saying 1000-5000 rounds? No, but I haven't had time to shoot it that much unfortunately. The only thing I'm sad that I can't test is my Larue magazines since they're in deep storage. I'd also like to see how an X-products drum would do, but I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

Is this a necessary product? Of course not. Is it for everyone? No, it's a niche item and for my needs, it's perfect. I'm more interested in the ability to use Larue/KAC/Lancer magazines than to save a few cents on P-mags (which is nevertheless, still a bonus) when buying 10x of one type of magazine versus another. Also I'm not an operator/certified tactical master, nor do I claim to be. This is effectively a range toy or possibly a hog gun.

I'm not sure what the deal is with all of the negativity. Maybe Handl had a rough and rocky start, what I've read supports that, and if that's the case I can say that they have made vast improvements and now have a very good product.
So let me end this by saying that this isn't an attack or smear on any other product, nor is it really an endorsement of any particular brand/product, just my experience with the item I bought, and from that experience I'd be happy to buy it again if I needed another, though if I WERE to buy another, I'd probably end up buying the Stryker version, just to see how much, if any real difference there is between the quality of the products.

As always, YMMV.

P.S.: Now I just have to mount an optic, swap out the muzzle device and the stock.

Sorry if the picture shows upside down, having trouble with the upload, I'll fix it later.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 2:56:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw your ad in the EE and searched, quickly finding this thread to see which lower you went with. Nice job on the swap. I'm curious to see which stock will be replacing the factory one (pics?) and why you are changing the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Thinking about grabbing that new Mesa Tactical Faro stock adapter when it comes out in a few weeks. The first stock I'll put on there will be an A2, just because.. but I think my ending stock will be a UBR, since I've always wanted to try one and it's cheaper than getting a whole new AR just to mount one to. I know the stock debate with the SCAR has been done to death, but in the end I don't care for it, it may be a great stock it's just not for me.
I'm swapping out the muzzle device for a couple of reasons, one I'm not a big muzzle brake fan, I like flash suppressors, I'm a big guy so the recoil isn't a big deal for me and I don't care for the concussion (again, I'm not 3-gunning or worried about perfect follow-up shots), the second reason is I'm probably going to bite the bullet soon on a suppressor and I'll most likely end up using the same flash suppressor/adapter for the rifles I'll be shooting suppressed.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 3:10:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a complete Handle Lower with parts already installed.

Never had a problem.

X-Products Drum won't fit my first Gen lower.

They do sell a modified Handle receiver that will take their drum magazines.

I've been watching Stryker's website for a long time waiting for a lower for my other rifle.

YMMV

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly the X-products drum is really just something I'd like to have just to say I have, don't really plan to burn up a bunch of .308 the way I do with 7.62x39.. if it doesn't work with the Handl, not a big deal.

I ended up buying another AR-10 anyway, an Armalite this time, so that'll probably get my incoming UBR.. I'm eyeballing the Ace skeleton stock for the Scar now..

I've also got some Lancer magazines in route so I'll be checking the fit with those on the SCAR, but I won't be able to shoot with them until I get my stock situation resolved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top