Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2015 10:19:56 AM EDT
After researching on the SCAR I've decided that is a weapon system I would like to get into however I am having issues making an important decision with limited funds.  Right now I have a AK74, ASK74U  and a Colt M4forgery with a 14.5in barrel (equipped with an Aimpoint COMP M4) .  Here are the following questions that I have and I would appreciate your feedback.

• Does the SCAR 17S work well in the DMR role with the 16in barrel and a 4x ACOG (also is it price efficient)?
  • How does the SCAR 16S with a 14in barrel work as a HD rifle and does it run well suppressed?
  • SCAR 16s Black or FDE?

The potential objections that I have is that is if I run a SCAR 17S I am going to have to invest into a hole new different caliber and the mags. With the SCAR 16S I have PMAGS GEN 3 that is compatible but is its performance superior enough over the M4 to invest the money and would it be best served with a Red Dot or a ACOG?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a 3.5x35 ACOG for the SCAR 17. Mine shoots 1-1.5 MOA from a bench, and it makes a great DMR. Used to have a 4x TA01 Acog on it, but the eye relief is way too short for a 7.62 NATO weapon. 3.5x35 is where its at.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Which reticle do you use in the 3.5 model ACOG?  Do you have any other sights other than the factory flip ups (45 angled or anything)...

I have been seriously considering a TA-11 for my 17...as I feel it would be the perfect sight...
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used a TA-11E with the red chevron, but it's personal preference. Right now I have an aimpoint micro on mine, and it's been perfect for hog hunting where shots are close and targets are moving.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a 3.5x35 ACOG for the SCAR 17. Mine shoots 1-1.5 MOA from a bench, and it makes a great DMR. Used to have a 4x TA01 Acog on it, but the eye relief is way too short for a 7.62 NATO weapon. 3.5x35 is where its at.
View Quote

Thanks that helps a lot.  Do you have any pictures of your rig?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
After researching on the SCAR I've decided that is a weapon system I would like to get into however I am having issues making an important decision with limited funds.  Right now I have a AK74, ASK74U  and a Colt M4forgery with a 14.5in barrel (equipped with an Aimpoint COMP M4) .  Here are the following questions that I have and I would appreciate your feedback.

• Does the SCAR 17S work well in the DMR role with the 16in barrel and a 4x ACOG (also is it price efficient)?
  • How does the SCAR 16S with a 14in barrel work as a HD rifle and does it run well suppressed?
  • SCAR 16s Black or FDE?

The potential objections that I have is that is if I run a SCAR 17S I am going to have to invest into a hole new different caliber and the mags. With the SCAR 16S I have PMAGS GEN 3 that is compatible but is its performance superior enough over the M4 to invest the money and would it be best served with a Red Dot or a ACOG?
View Quote

You can get some amazing accuracy out of a scar, as for a 4x acog. A ta31rco was the 1st optic I run on my scar, it worked quite well.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]
get the FDE it is way more accurate then the black 17s
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe but the black rate of fire is much higher,  which more than makes up for it
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Maybe but the black rate of fire is much higher,  which more than makes up for it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

get both

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I should take a picture of my built SCAR with a can of Spam next to it cause that's all I can afford after the build.  Actually I flipfloped several times on the black verses FDE thing for a few weeks.  I went FDE mostly because I never had that color before.  My Vortex Viper only came in black which kind of pissed me off.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#10]
The 4x ACOG is by far the worst ACOG I have ever used. The limited eye relief makes it all but unusable on a SCAR for me.  Even back when we had ACOGs on our M4s the TA11s were much preferred across the board.  Go with the TA11.

Rick
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Do not waste your money on a SCAR 16 if you are going to do it get the 17.  The 16 does not offer enough benefit for the price over an AR IMO.  I have a 17 and in all honesty I wish I had bought a LaRue OBR but they were backordered for over a year so I ended up with a SCAR 17
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#12]
The scar 17 is an awesome rifle and the acog is a great optic, if you don't require a lot of magnification.  Neither are cheap, but they are worth the money.
That being said, you will definitely want one of the 3.5x models for the extra eye relief.  I have the green horseshoe dot reticle and love it.  (TA11HG)

If you already have an AR, then I wouldn't bother with a scar 16.  Maybe invest in an adjustable gas block for the AR instead...  I have an SLR Rifleworks block and it's great.

As to the color, get which ever is cheaper.  You can always paint it or have it cerakoted/duracoated for a reasonable price if you require a certain color.  Then it would at least match...
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 4x acog with a the 308 reticule.  The eye relief is short, but with the stock scar 17 brake, recoil is a non-issue for me.

I want to keep the rifle as light as practical.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're getting a SCAR get it in FDE

I have an Elcan Specter Dr on mine. I absolutely love it!

I also have a TA-11J 308 on my 901... It's a great optic too
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#15]
i have both a 16 and 17..i tried a acog(3.5) on the 17 but felt i wanted more magnifacation.i put a leupold 2-8 vxr on there and am loving it!..it shoots small groups but i dont measure them.on the 16 i use a leupold vxr 1-4 and it works out really nice also.i use a ultra lite aero mount and it hardly adds any weight to the gun.
" />
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#16]
for the DMR role, a 3.5 or 4x ACOG is really limiting the weapon's capablities.  I i run a NF 1-4 on my 13"er but have an express purpose of close range to 350-400 yards.  If I was running a full barrel and trying to push further I'd want 8x or 10x. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm actually thinking of trading my black one for an FDE one

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top