Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2015 12:39:58 PM EDT
So my SCAR 17 blows an incredibly irritating amount of gas into my eyes when I'm shooting with my AAC SDN-6 on.  I am flipping the gas switch to the "suppressed mode" but honestly, it doesnt seem to make a difference.  It doesnt affect function, except I cant keep my eyes open after about 3 shots. I want to try and reduce or eliminate this as I dont have the issue on any of my other rifles. I have ordered a slew of smaller gas control screws from Midwest gun works to see if that helps.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So my SCAR 17 blows an incredibly irritating amount of gas into my eyes when I'm shooting with my AAC SDN-6 on.  I am flipping the gas switch to the "suppressed mode" but honestly, it doesnt seem to make a difference.  It doesnt affect function, except I cant keep my eyes open after about 3 shots. I want to try and reduce or eliminate this as I dont have the issue on any of my other rifled. I have ordered a slew of smaller gas control screws from Midwest gun works to see if that helps.  Any thoughts?
View Quote

"Suppressed mode" just cuts off excessive gas to the action to save some wear and tear on it , not the shooter.

Most all suppressors will create blow back and the type of baffles in the can , porting and other variables will play a part in how much.
Different gas screws or setting on the rifle will have minimal effect at the shooters nose or eyes IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So my SCAR 17 blows an incredibly irritating amount of gas into my eyes when I'm shooting with my AAC SDN-6 on. I am flipping the gas switch to the "suppressed mode" but honestly, it doesnt seem to make a difference. It doesnt affect function, except I cant keep my eyes open after about 3 shots. I want to try and reduce or eliminate this as I dont have the issue on any of my other rifled. I have ordered a slew of smaller gas control screws from Midwest gun works to see if that helps. Any thoughts?
View Quote

"Suppressed mode" just cuts off excessive gas to the action to save some wear and tear on it , not the shooter.

Most all suppressors will create blow back and the type of baffles in the can , porting and other variables will play a part in how much.
Different gas screws or setting on the rifle will have minimal effect at the shooters nose or eyes IMHO.
View Quote

Yeah that is what i expected to hear, but I hoped someone knew something I didn't or I was wrong.  Ill still give it a shot with the gas screws though!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
See my thread about gas control screw size and this very problem, only mine was malfunctioning. Stock screw was 1.5mm, replacement I decided worked best was 1.4mm. It's much more pleasant to shoot suppressed now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
See my thread about gas control screw size and this very problem, only mine was malfunctioning. Stock screw was 1.5mm, replacement I decided worked best was 1.4mm. It's much more pleasant to shoot suppressed now.
View Quote

I had been following that thread, its where I got the idea for the gas screws, but I didn't see anything necessarily pertaining to the blowback.  Thats good to hear!

Sidenote: FN really did it right with these gas screws, IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#5]
This is good info my buddy and his SCAR he bitches all the time about the gas and I had told him to consider the gas screw.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've noticed increase gas in the face when the gas block gets on the dirty side.  By that I mean it is almost carbon'd up solid and needs to be cleaned out.

When clean, the blow back goes down noticeably.  I use a 45acp bore brush to clean the front of the block, and a 22brush for the "tube" section the tail of the piston rides in.  There is a gas vent on the "tube" on the left side.  Clean this vent.  There are also vent passages on the gas selector.  Clean all of those out.

I too took the plunge and bought some gas control screws to play with.  Haven't had time to install and test yet.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've noticed increase gas in the face when the gas block gets on the dirty side.  By that I mean it is almost carbon'd up solid and needs to be cleaned out.

When clean, the blow back goes down noticeably.  I use a 45acp bore brush to clean the front of the block, and a 22brush for the "tube" section the tail of the piston rides in.  There is a gas vent on the "tube" on the left side.  Clean this vent.  There are also vent passages on the gas selector.  Clean all of those out.

I too took the plunge and bought some gas control screws to play with.  Haven't had time to install and test yet.
View Quote

That's great advice.  I doubt it's that dirty though since my round count is under 1k at the moment though.  If you play with the gas screws, let us know your results!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's great advice.  I doubt it's that dirty though since my round count is under 1k at the moment though.  If you play with the gas screws, let us know your results!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might be suprised if you are shooting surplus ball ammo.  I have some Australian and Argentina ammo that is dirty as shit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]
1k suppressed fire is very very dirty.

In my opinion the gas manifold and piston need to be cleaned more offen then every few thousand rounds fired.
Looking at how the gas selector is made, as it gets dirty, it up-gasses the rifle to keep it working. Cleaning the action and not cleaning the gas manifold only makes the rifle shoot even harder as the action is clean and the manifold is up-gassed for dirty.

Give the gas selector a good look and you will see what Iam talking about.

Even quality ammo ran suppressed will make the gas manifold and selector very dirty.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I replaced my gas screw with the 1.35 but I really didn't feel it made a difference, I bought the 1.35,1.40, and 1.45. Wondered if I could go lower to the 1.25 gas screw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top