BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have photos and a unboxing video and can't get them posted.

Anyone able to receive them via text and post them for me?

View Quote

I think they need to be on something like YouTube to be posted here but I'm no expert.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
today was our first range trip with the new fn m249s.

we ran 400 55grn wolf 100 federal 55grn through belts and several different mags including magpul d60 drum.

it functioned great.

only stoppage was a federal cartridge due to low powder charge failed to cycle the bcg.  we were just shooting steel so no accuracy report yet.

for your viewing fun here is the wife shooting a beltfed for the very first time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y-6O9olB3s

she shot the steel goat off the hanger.  we ran it mainly with a surefire fa762k suppressor.   the round hitting goat was way louder than the shot.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Great!  Thanks for the report.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#4]
ive got a LOT of trigger time on full auto m16, m60, m249, and even some mk19 but none of that was nearly as much fun as we had today shooting the m249s with good friends.   this is absolutely the most fun ive had with a firearm ever.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it worth it?i am thinking hard about one.....
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is it worth it?i am thinking hard about one.....
View Quote

I've got around 700 to 800 rounds of mixed ammo from 40grain to 77grain with only one stoppage due to an underpowered 55grain federal that barely ejected the bullet.  Everything else, it's eaten it all from mags drums belts suppressed unsurpressed.  I'm actually surprised it ran the 40grain ammo with no problems

If I had to do over and could not afford it I would be selling guns to get an m249s.  

So I think it's worth it.

But the ultimate decision is yours.  I'm not you and what I like is possibly a radical different thing from what you like
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out this beauty for sale.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/560983159
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Check out this beauty for sale.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/560983159
View Quote

You know, if that doesn't go much higher that's a 7.62 semi for about the same the 249S goes for.  I have no clue if that is a good company, model, etc though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#9]
$7k is a nice rifle, NODs and all the accessories.  That would offer an actual advantage.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

$7k is a nice rifle, NODs and all the accessories.  That would offer an actual advantage.
View Quote
What if a guy already has 3 sets of nods with helmets and a bunch of IR lasers and he loves beltfeds?

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#11]
What is dealer cost on the standard edition?
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What is dealer cost on the standard edition?
View Quote

That would be nice to know.  They're poppin up all over GB now so I'm thinking supply is finally starting to exceed demand, as they were being snagged up left and right.  Now it looks like they'll finally be selling for MSRP and soon enough below that I imagine.   I see one with a Buy It Now of $7500 sitting there.  A couple weeks ago a BIN of $8k wouldn't have lasted long.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#13]
anyone put a quad rail or changed the stock yet? I've got one coming next month ( dealer let me put it on layaway), I want it to look like a mk46. so... Para stock and SBR stamp.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Very interested in seeing the barrel lock up, as well as the trigger assembly.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Very interested in seeing the barrel lock up, as well as the trigger assembly.
View Quote

trigger pack is very different internally.  externally it is identical to full auto.  if you put a fa pack in it will not work as the sear is different.  the 249s uses a striker hammer as fn calls it.   its a big heavy steel part that sits behind the bcg and its spring rides outside and encircles the guide rod.  so you stick the operating spring on the rod then the striker spring which is much wider and shorter.  the grip is a saw grip. the difference is internal only.  

barrel is, according to fn, no different than the fa version.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
anyone put a quad rail or changed the stock yet? I've got one coming next month ( dealer let me put it on layaway), I want it to look like a mk46. so... Para stock and SBR stamp.
View Quote

stocks and fore-ends are standard m249 full auto samey same.  only parts that do not interchange are the bcg and trigger pack minus grip.  the 249s is identical to the fa version except the parts mentioned and the internal dimensions on the rails are slightly narrower so you cannot slide a full auto bcg in.  a full auto trigger pack might fit but you could not then get the gun to fire a shot as there would be nothing to hold the striker/hammer.  guide rod buffer assembly is the same.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 1:12:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

stocks and fore-ends are standard m249 full auto samey same.  only parts that do not interchange are the bcg and trigger pack minus grip.  the 249s is identical to the fa version except the parts mentioned and the internal dimensions on the rails are slightly narrower so you cannot slide a full auto bcg in.  a full auto trigger pack might fit but you could not then get the gun to fire a shot as there would be nothing to hold the striker/hammer.  guide rod buffer assembly is the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brilliant! I ordered 6 100rd nutsacks, 6 200rd hard drums, and 2 5rd nutsacks. Now I need to find a barrel, barrel, and stock. a Para stock is going to be sick on this thing.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 1:55:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Brilliant! I ordered 6 100rd nutsacks, 6 200rd hard drums, and 2 5rd nutsacks. Now I need to find a barrel, barrel, and stock. a Para stock is going to be sick on this thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the magpul d60 drums run flawless in mine.  ive got two nutsacks 100rd variety but i prefer the d60 or pmags if im not running it with hard 200round drum or loose belts.  one thing i recommend with drums or sacks is be sure to have starter tabs.  keeps the belts from sliding back into the drum or sack and provides a good positive grip.  like links the tabs are reusable.

ive got an idea for a brass deflector add on to keep the brass in a smaller area but i have not worked the details out.  links arent a big deal to collect just get a big magnetic floor sweeper.  the sweeper i have from lowes grabs links out of 4 to 5 inch grass.  

i emailed midwest gunworks asking about parts.  they are planning on stocking m249s spares.

the 249s is a surprisingly good suppressor host.  i have been using a surefire fa762k on mine.  

havent really tested accuracy yet as when i sit in behind i find myself just shooting the gun and losing track of what i intended simply from the fun factor.  i end up with a target full of holes or out of ammo from shooting dirt clods at 300 yds.  someday if i cn discipline myself ill get a good read on accuracy potntial
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Whoops.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Man I am really racking my brain over this one.  I am close to pulling the trigger on a OOW M240-SLR even though I've been watching prices of the M249S like a hawk.  There's something about the M240 though that I can't shake, and has me thinking I might enjoy it a bit more.  Do you think FN would ever release a M240S?  It's hard enough trying to choose a OOW M240 over a factory built FN M249S, but if there were even rumors of a FN M240S I'd hold out for sure.

Anyone had a chance to shoot an OOW M240-SLR?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Man I am really racking my brain over this one.  I am close to pulling the trigger on a OOW M240-SLR even though I've been watching prices of the M249S like a hawk.  There's something about the M240 though that I can't shake, and has me thinking I might enjoy it a bit more.  Do you think FN would ever release a M240S?  It's hard enough trying to choose a OOW M240 over a factory built FN M249S, but if there were even rumors of a FN M240S I'd hold out for sure.

View Quote

well i have a 240slr being built by oow right now...  

not even a hint that fn is planning a 240semi.  it was several years from fn hinting at a 249s to it hitting shelves.  so far no inkling ive seen they are doing one
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I shot an oow 240slr... it was only 10 rounds though. All I remember is that it was one heavy SOB.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 1:40:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I shot an oow 240slr... it was only 10 rounds though. All I remember is that it was one heavy SOB.
View Quote

thats what the bipod and tripod are for...
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 1:52:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

not even a hint that fn is planning a 240semi.  it was several years from fn hinting at a 249s to it hitting shelves.  so far no inkling ive seen they are doing one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool...you'll have the best of both worlds!  The M240 is a heavy beast, but that's part of the appeal to me.  I've got a bunch of lightweight builds...I'm ready for a big honkin gun.

But yeah that's what I was thinking as well.  I just found some posts way back in 2006 where FN was rumored to be producing a semi M249 and even mention of a M240.  Well 12 years later we finally have the M249S.  Without any new rumors or hints of a M240 I guess I won't be basing my decision on the what if possibility.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:48:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Very cool...you'll have the best of both worlds!  The M240 is a heavy beast, but that's part of the appeal to me.  I've got a bunch of lightweight builds...I'm ready for a big honkin gun.

But yeah that's what I was thinking as well.  I just found some posts way back in 2006 where FN was rumored to be producing a semi M249 and even mention of a M240.  Well 12 years later we finally have the M249S.  Without any new rumors or hints of a M240 I guess I won't be basing my decision on the what if possibility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

in the current state of things with strong anti 2a candidates on both sides of the ticket i would strongly consider how long i would foot drag if i was contemplating a belt fed semi.  

ive got 5 years with an issue m60 some issue saw time and i love my 249s better than either fa gun.  just something about it not being ammo picky and the striker hammer makes it feel like an open bolt fa trigger system.

if you do get one i HIGHLY recommend getting a suppressor for it.  its a wonderful firearm to run that way.  im surprised at how quiet it is for that much mass moving at once.

midwest gunworks has these nifty plastic fn link cases with 500 new links for 49$ i got one as a gift for the wife.  only girl i know that goes "meh" at jewelry but nuts over a logo case full of m249 links.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:03:47 AM EDT
[#27]
If you took a FA grip and replaced the SA one with it would it make it FA?
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:04:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Everything is identical to the Military issued M249 except the trigger pack?
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just a guess but i'd assume the receiver is modified to not accept a full auto trigger group.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Just a guess but i'd assume the receiver is modified to not accept a full auto trigger group.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I've read in this thread, I believe.

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

no it wont go fa.  the bolt carrier is different in that it is two piece and the reciever has a welded in extra bit that makes it too narrow to drop in a fa bolt carrier.

a fa trigger pack will fit in but there is no way for it to interact with the striker,  so you wouldnt be able to fire it.  the bcg would never lock back and the striker couldnot be cocked.  

only difference is bcg trigger and extra spring for striker hammer. the semi auto bcg will not fit into a fa reciever unless an extra piece was welded into it.

everything else is the same.  so feed tray barrels stock handguards etc all the same
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is this really a serious question? . Just asking...
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably.  I get asked that at the range about a dozen times each time I take it there.  The next question is what does it do a ar15 can't.  I then sit them behind the gun and say see for yourself.   The look of enlightenment appears and third question is, where can I get one....
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Just watched Jerry Miculek's video where he rapid fired the M249s. Had 3 malfunctions. Is it because with the closed bolt design, it's less capable of rapid firing rates?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Just watched Jerry Miculek's video where he rapid fired the M249s. Had 3 malfunctions. Is it because with the closed bolt design, it's less capable of rapid firing rates?
View Quote
You didnt watch it long enough.  He explained what he thought happened
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could also just be Jerry's fingers are too fast.  Hammer follow.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did, but he seemed unsure as to what exactly caused the malfunction. I'm just curious if the closed bolt design limits the potential capability of the gun.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Not really.  Miculek is not human and he is quite capable of running any semi gun faster than full auto.

Oh one other thing.  He uses frangibles which I have not tested in mine are known for extremely spotty reliability.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#39]
At the time of this posting (since some numbnuts don't understand how time works) In stock at $7499 and free shipping at KyGunCo. M249S
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Does it use the same barrels? Someone here getting one HAS GOT to put a para bbl and stock on it.
View Quote

Yes, the M249S uses the same barrels as the M249.

However, according to my understanding, it appears that the para barrel would make the M249S a SBR.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I am correct, there's been a lot of false advertising on Gunbroker with regards to the length.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

FN advertises the PARA saw with a 16.3" bbl
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it use the same barrels? Someone here getting one HAS GOT to put a para bbl and stock on it.

However, according to my understanding, it appears that the para barrel would make the M249S a SBR.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/Bettendorf/saw%20shorty%201_zpslha8stct.jpg

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/Bettendorf/saw%20shorty%202_zpsyh3zwtcv.jpg

If I am correct, there's been a lot of false advertising on Gunbroker with regards to the length.

FN advertises the PARA saw with a 16.3" bbl
Right.  That would appear to be the overall length instead of the barrel length, as illustrated in my photos. I always thought that the length of the barrel (according the US law) began at the beginning of the chamber and not, in the case, the beginning of the barrel extension.  

So it would appear to me that putting a para barrel on a M249S would make it a SBR.  If I am wrong, please someone correct me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes.  The short barrel is like 13 inches.  
FN may make a 16.3 barrel specifically for civilian sales, wih a pinned extended comp, I don't know.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/Bettendorf/saw%20shorty%201_zpslha8stct.jpg

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/Bettendorf/saw%20shorty%202_zpsyh3zwtcv.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the batfe measures barrel length from the crown, not muzzle device unless it is pinned and welded, from the bolt face in the closed position.    not from the base ofvthe barrel extension.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

the batfe measures barrel length from the crown, not muzzle device unless it is pinned and welded, from the bolt face in the closed position.    not from the base ofvthe barrel extension.
View Quote

Thanks for the explanation.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
FN may make a 16.3 barrel specifically for civilian sales, wih a pinned extended comp, I don't know.
View Quote

Length is not measured externally to the back of the entire barrel extension, it's measured from the muzzle with a rod going down through the bore contacting the closed bolt.  

ETA - Doh - saw that was addressed already.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#48]
If I had the M249s I would buy the para shorty barrel and just pin a Surefire muzzle brake on it to bring it out to 16.25. Would look much better then that long ass 20.5" barrel that it comes with.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Length is not measured externally to the back of the entire barrel extension, it's measured from the muzzle with a rod going down through the bore contacting the closed bolt.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that's why I said about 13 inches  1 inch for the locking lug/barrel  lugs, and another 2 inches of removable muzzle brake.  Which, incidentally, is Not 1/2x28.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#50]
The Para barrels are indeed too short for a non SBR/Class III weapon. The threads are 9/16-24 Left Hand, just like an FN-FAL. And yes, Surefire makes a Flash Hider in that thread pattern.

Lynn
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top