Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 3:34:44 PM EDT
might be old news to most but i just recently found out about FN getting the military contract for the m4

anyone herd or have any ideas about how this might affect the price of FN weapons? was thinking maby since they had more income that the scar might drop a bit in price maby even ther ar platform rifles. or do you think it will be the oposite and rise in price becasue everyone will buy it JUST CAUSE the military is buying from them reguardless of the price.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
News to me have not seen anything official only tracking Mil contracts for the MK17 and MK20.  Mil/Leo sales are distinctively different than Civ sales.

They are expensive but not what I would consider as overpriced considering what it is. People spend $2,000 or more on certain AR platform rifles when one could argue that a perfectly decent AR could be purchased for under $1,500 and still others would argue that you can get a perfectly decent AR for under $1,000.

There is a lot of money that went into R&D for the rifle and FN is simply trying to recover the development costs at a price point that is fair to the both the buyer and FN. Lets face it FNH is a company and they are like anyone else trying to make money and price their products for what they think the economy can bear.  Unfortunately that price point is high but that's the cost of admission to own the latest and greatest.

FN makes top quality guns and is willing to produce civilian versions of their military guns in the US. Sig gave us the 556 which is almost an insult considering they could easily have produced a civilian version of the 550/551 but decided not to and the quality of the Sig 556 is often hotly debated. HK gave us the USC and SL-8 but because HK has to import their guns they had to be severely neutered and they are just as pricey when you can find them.

FN gave us a civilian version of the P90 (PS90), F2000 (FS200), FN SCAR 16s and 17s.  News is that the MK20 civilian variant may be released starting next year.  What makes it even better is that these civilian versions are nearly identical copies of their military counterparts just without the ability to fire full auto.  

I say we are lucky to even be able to own them at all if we want.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top