Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 5:10:47 PM EDT
Put a surefire muzzle brake onto the barrel.  Looking down the barrel with the suppressor on you can just barely see that it's not concentric.  Same model brake on another rifle w same can looks perfect.  Now what?  Would this be considered a warranty issue or do I pretty much need to get a new barrel assembly?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be a warranty issue.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I'll follow up with FN.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Im sorry bud but your looking at 3-5 month turn around if they want you to send it in on your dollar and they fix it themselves. Your barrel assembly will literally sit in the box for months after they check it in before they can get to it. This is from experience. I guess i was spoiled by smith and wessons turn around on a pistol i sent in. They had it back in 5 business days to me after they received it. And they paid for the shipping both ways.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Bad news - 3 to 5 months sucks.
Good news - My justification to SBR!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#5]
How did you install it ?
Scars are known to be picky on certain muzzle attachment installations.
Highly doubt it would be a warranty issue.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#6]
If the threading isn't concentric, that's a problem for FN.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How did you install it ?
Scars are known to be picky on certain muzzle attachment installations.
Highly doubt it would be a warranty issue.
View Quote

I put it in a vise, unscrewed the old one, and screwed on the new one.  I used one shim and torqued to spec.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Called FN.  Rep asked me if the muzzle brake was 3rd party.  Said I'd need to put the old one back on and send in for their smiths to check.  I'll put a known good brake on tonight to double check that the brake itself isn't bad.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like the barrel is fine.  I screwed up by using the factory spacer which caused a misalignment when torqued.  I misread the directions - the spacer in the surefire directions diagram looked just like the original.  My bad.  Lesson learned - read twice and check concentricity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top