Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2014 11:55:03 AM EDT
Got a SCAR 16 in the shop to Cerakote, I don't know if the guy used rocksett on every threaded piece on the gun or what, but I've broken a couple of hex wrenches and just snapped off a torx driver.

Is this shit normal?

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
All of the receiver screws are loctited in place. Focused heat and hex drivers will eventually break the screws loose.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Loctite breaks down thermally @ 500 degrees F.

Apply direct heat if possible. If its a small screw you can use the tip of a soldering iron to localize heat ( a pistol grip type with lots of wattage helps).
If its larger use and old torx or Allen Wrench and heat with a propane torch then insert in fastener a couple times until it heats up and releases.

Rocksett is designed to resist high heat. Soaking in water , Kroil is a better attack method.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I had to use a torch and impact heads. On ten screws.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Next time tell them to give you the stripped parts to finish. Then they will gladly pay your price for the labor.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Next time tell them to give you the stripped parts to finish. Then they will gladly pay your price for the labor.
View Quote

It's a local shop that tries to nickel and dime me to death. I'm about done fucking with them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Rockset is Water soluble , heat resistive. soak in water to release , Loc-tite on the other hand is Heat sensitive , use blow dryer to heat , rap once with a nylon hammer and it should release.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top