Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2014 11:08:19 PM EDT
Anyone know where to get Thermold SCAR 17 magazines in flat dark earth? Actually in stock?

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's one.  I bet they have more in stock.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=438506080
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's one.  I bet they have more in stock.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=438506080
View Quote

Those magazines are junk in that link. Not worth anything if you want to use them for holding bullets. I picked up a few at a local show because they were cheap and I'm glad I only paid $25 for 2 of them. The lips are so weak the spring will push rounds out by itself. This will cause double feeds if you do manage to get one loaded and into the rifle. They are just cheap feeling and flimsy. I could probably break one by twisting it in my hands. They are nothing like a PMAG
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 also I grabbed during the panic cheap and they now just sit in my foot locker of magazines because they jam or do not feed correctly.  Waiting for next panic to get rid of them
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:02:28 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 to the "they suck" camp.

I bought a few FDE and black thermold mags and they hold about 18 or 19 rounds poorly, don't feed great, and overall aren't very good mags.  They "sort of" work and might be okay for range use, but only because they'll cause malfunctions you'll have to work through.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Was just looking for some cheap 17s poly mags to have as spares or treat like crap..

Not seeing poly's in stock anywhere
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#6]
They exist in stock some places.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/thermold-20-rd-scar-17-magazine?a=1144684

But you'd be better off just spending a few more bucks to buy a metal SCAR mag, then just paint it/mark it/number it so you know it's a beat-em-up range mag.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#7]
If you pay for shipping OP I will give you my two black mags.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you ARshooter really appreciate that, but think I'm all set. Very kind offer though!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Thank you ARshooter really appreciate that, but think I'm all set. Very kind offer though!

Ha ARShooter you cannot even give them away…..
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if I could pay someone to taker them?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought 8 back when metal mags were scarce and sent them to a guy who needed mags for free as well.
Work OK in a pinch but I won't buy anymore as I would not trust them in a bad situation.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#12]
probably be better to just pay 14$ more and get an oem mag
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Why not get Molan Labe SCAR magazines.  Scroll to bottom.
http://www.molonlabeindustries.com/FN-SCAR-17_c6.htm

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a coworker who bought one or two of those.

I seem to recall him telling me he only uses them as range mags because they're a bit iffy.

Not necessarily bad, just not that great, either.  That said, I've heard Molon Labe has been working to make them better.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I seem to recall him telling me he only uses them as range mags because they're a bit iffy.

Not necessarily bad, just not that great, either.  That said, I've heard Molon Labe has been working to make them better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  You have to tweak the feed lips and followers to get them to feed 100%.  

Stick with the factory mags.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a really hard time with the notion of spending almost $3000 on a rifle and then seeking out the cheapest shit magazines for.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:15:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I have a really hard time with the notion of spending almost $3000 on a rifle and then seeking out the cheapest shit magazines for.
View Quote
Well played, sir.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well played, sir.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well played, sir.

you don't buy a ZO6 if you can only feed it 88 octane.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you upload pics or video?  I have coworkers that don't have any problems with them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:19:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
-

Can you upload pics or video?  I have coworkers that don't have any problems with them.
View Quote

They may have newer ones.

If I go to the range at some point with him and remember to do so, I'll see about getting some pics... or at least a more complete story.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If I go to the range at some point with him and remember to do so, I'll see about getting some pics... or at least a more complete story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-

I bought 5 Molon Labe mags 3 months ago.  About half of them worked.  I was able to fix them my self by tweaking the follower so it wouldnt bind up anymore.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#22]
If so, nobody told Molon Labe or they don't know???  Also just curios why only half worked? Did you have to modify that half that did not or all of them?  Could  you post a pic of before/after?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If so, nobody told Molon Labe or they don't know???  Also just curios why only half worked? Did you have to modify that half that did not or all of them?  Could  you post a pic of before/after?
View Quote

They know.  I sent them a long, detailed email including pictures.  To their credit, they offered to exchange them + give me 1 additional mag for the troubles.  There is plenty of documented cases online about the same FTF problems.

I went through this exercise with DSA and their junk ass FAL mags.  Return them, and get more junk ass mags that dont work.  I was able to find a fix to the FAL mags.  Given that SCAR mags are similar in design, I was able to fix the Molon ones as well.  

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3396948

The problem revolves around the "anti tilt" follower.  It binds at about a 30 degree angle while feeding.  (Just like DSA FAL mags).  Carefully, trim material off the front and rear of follower and the problem is solved.

I should be charging both companies for this advice.    I posted a very detailed fix on FAL files for the DSA mags.  If I get around it, I'll post one here as well.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I've actually used my half dozen 2014 Thermold mags and they work fine (lock into/stay in the gun, feed perfectly, drop free, hold 20 rounds) ymmv.  I wouldn't pay more than half the price of the factory mags for them though.

*Disclaimer*
I didn't run them over with a truck, jump out of an airplane with them or store them in my trucks engine compartment prior to use...
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've actually used my half dozen 2014 Thermold mags and they work fine (lock into/stay in the gun, feed perfectly, drop free, hold 20 rounds) ymmv.  I wouldn't pay more than half the price of the factory mags for them though.

*Disclaimer*
I didn't run them over with a truck, jump out of an airplane with them or store them in my trucks engine compartment prior to use...
View Quote

So what you are saying you have not battle proven them so they must be crap.  If you cannot run over your mags on purpose they are crap.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#26]
[b]So what you are saying you have not battle proven them so they must be crap.  If you cannot run over your mags on purpose they are crap.
View Quote

They have functioned perfectly on the range and out hunting... 0 issues and i shoot a lot.  If you battle test your scar with any mags please post picks or sweet battle video testing

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top