Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2014 2:09:53 PM EDT
I understand that the SCAR is the pride and joy of this forum.  I get that...

But I rarely (like even through searching) find anything about the FNAR.  Yes, I know there are a few other sites out there.

Anybody done anything "fun" with/to their FNAR?

About 3-4 years ago, I paid $1000 for a BNIB FNAR HB with FOUR mags.  (3) 20rd's and (1) 5rds through some kind of promotion a dealer had.

I've got mine with a mediocre 4-16X50 Scope and Harris Bi-pod.  I'm shooting MOA at 100/200, havent been able to take it farther due to range limits. I also am able to use the Federal AE 150 FMJ with decent results.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my fnar taken 2 deer with it and shot it out to 750 meters its a great gun but has alot of recoil compared to the scar 17
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my fnar taken 2 deer with it and shot it out to 750 meters its a great gun but has alot of recoil compared to the scar 17
View Quote

Very nice.  I am pretty impressed with the accuracy.  You are right about the recoil.  BTW, I just broke it down and cleaned it last night (first complete cleaning).  It took quite a while!  I think cleaning and recoil are the two biggest disadvantages.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#3]
..........  I am pretty impressed with the accuracy. ..........
View Quote

Keep in mind that the FNAR had accuracy problems when it was first released which gave it a bad rep.  The article Peter G Kokalis wrote about his test example really savaged it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine was very accurate with all loads I tried in it.
I just disliked the 57 easy steps to dissassemble & clean it.
The 9.5 lb weight (empty) was also a negative for me.

Good gun and highly accurate though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I would have on if I did not already have a M1a they are dead nuts accurate with quality ammo.  My BIL has one and it is a sweet shooter but mags are expensive and proprietary and owning a SCAR and M1a I do not want to add another 308 mag into the bunch unless it is an AR10
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I love mine- accurate and soft shooting. Mags are expensive, but in the $1000.00 range, I would take it over anything else on the market. Of course, the SCAR 17 will be my next purchase.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:11:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love mine- accurate and soft shooting. Mags are expensive, but in the $1000.00 range, I would take it over anything else on the market. Of course, the SCAR 17 will be my next purchase.
View Quote

I had one.  I upgraded to the 17.  Do it! And dont look back...

Its a good bench rest/hunting firearm.  I question its ruggedness and long term durability.  Mine suffered a high rate of magazine and gun related malfunctions.  The mags are expensive and fragile in my experience.  Field stripping it is a complete bitch, with many small pieces of hardware.  Its heavy.

One of the worst gun purchases Ive made.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:16:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dont forget, the Scar 17 has that PWS brake on it.   I had a local smith fit my FNAR with a similar PWS brake.  The braked FNAR was noticably softer than the 17, with less muzzle flip.  I suspect that has mostly to do with weight though
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#9]
FNAR is fun to say.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a Browning BAR in fancy clothing.

Which evolved into the Winchester SXAR

Which became the FNAR

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top