Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2017 7:06:32 PM EDT
Ok guru's help me out on this one. I am a type 7 FFL with a Class 2 SOT..... new to the SOT game

I have made my first post sample and I am having an issue. The gun fires just fine on semi auto but when i flip the switch to full auto I am having a problem. The problem is about the 4th round does not go off. The hammer drops striking the primer but the round dosen't go off. I am thinking a timing issue but if that were the case then this should happen on the second round.

Any idea's
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]
This will go well
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
What barrel length, barrel profile, and what weight buffer?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably gonna have to move this to one of the full auto forums in the armory, and maybe provide bonafides or it'll get CoC'd.

If/when this gets relocated, I'll be happy to help. Basic immediate diagnosis is carrier bounce.

<- former longtime 07/C2
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Which buffer are you using?

Good chance your experiencing bolt bounce.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which buffer are you using?

Good chance your experiencing bolt bounce.
View Quote

+1 in case its a carbine ill just throw the things I do know out there for OP.

The Colt 14.5 govt profile barrel requires the H buffer to run burst with full reliability.

The Colt 14.5 HB (SOCOM profile) barrel requires the H2 buffer to run FA with full reliability.

With both of these barrels, running a lighter buffer than these increases bolt bounce.

And I don't know enough about tuning the 20" rifle to comment on that, but also willing to bet its bolt bounce regardless
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Tony K is another good one to help, he spends most of his time in the M16 discussion area.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Colt 14.5 govt profile barrel requires the H buffer to run burst with full reliability.

The Colt 14.5 HB (SOCOM profile) barrel requires the H2 buffer to run FA with full reliability.

With both of these barrels, running a lighter buffer than these increases bolt bounce.

And I don't know enough about tuning the 20" rifle to comment on that, but also willing to bet its bolt bounce regardless
View Quote
20" A2 profile barrels need the H6 buffer and 16" heavy profile barrels need the H3 buffer.

Other combinations may work but those are what Colt use.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
20" A2 profile barrels need the H6 buffer and 16" heavy profile barrels need the H3 buffer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info brother. I thought I remembered the carbine stock replacement for the A2 and A4 using an H6 buffer. Not sure what one would want to do if they got bolt bounce with an A2 stock and A2 buffer though (I guess maybe they wouldn't get bolt bounce? Not on burst anyway)

ETA looks like if they did get bolt bounce with the rifle buffer, they could just replace one of the 5 steel weights with a tungsten weight.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Do yourself a favor and just put the Vltor A5 receiver extension and buffer on it. No more musical buffers.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:41:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies I'll definitely try a heavier buffer and see if this gets corrected.

Thanks all for the help
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had hit and miss luck going with heavier buffers, but the 2-piece type always cures the bolt carrier bounce problem.

Edited to add: The old DPMS part number is BS-CWB.  The new P/N is F620890.  I doubt DPMS makes it....I imagine they buy it from someone else.

Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've had hit and miss luck going with heavier buffers, but the 2-piece type always cures the bolt carrier bounce problem.
View Quote

I've used this in FA successfully with 5.56, 9 mm, and .45 ACP uppers.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the advice all. I have ordered an H3 buffer to see if i can get my gun to run
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#14]
What do you mean by your snide comment Sir ?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What do you mean by your snide comment Sir ?
View Quote

I would not even go there, snide remarks are the norm on this website.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice all. I have ordered an H3 buffer to see if i can get my gun to run
View Quote
Well?

Edit: I suppose it's only been 4 days
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and just put the Vltor A5 receiver extension and buffer on it. No more musical buffers.
View Quote
Vltor A5 + Geissele SSF =
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Everyone that owned an M16 that shot mine with the A5 on it . Had one on theirs the next time I would see them.
We even did a little test with 4 shooter's.  IDPA target at 30 ft. 1 x 30 rnd mag. Dump mag on target . The A5 always put more hits on target then the stock buffer did. This was probably due to the ROF of the A5.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top