Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2017 4:46:01 AM EDT
Buying an M16A1 and want to shoot 9mm. Is the Colt 9mm fire control group the same as the M16? Would anti walk trigger pins be recommended running the 9mm?

And does anyone make an ambi full auto selector?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 5:31:13 AM EDT
[#1]
The only thing you need for your M16 lower is a mag adapter for 9mm mags and a 9mm buffer. But yeah some KNS anti-rotational pins are probably a good idea just to protect your investment. And yes I know someone makes an ambi M16 selector switch. Maybe DPMS or check Brownells.com, just check around.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you use a ramped bolt with your rounded hammer. I ran a Colt system 9 on my Sandra M16 lower, and it was flawless with the stated mods.
I had a Quality Parts Co. Ambi selector on it. That company became Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]
My FCG is 100% the same. I did put some KNS anti walk pins in. I believe the stainless pins are stronger than the original ones, when it comes to the 9mm.  Make sure your bolt is ramped like others have said. That and a magwell block, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, you may need a heavier buffer too? All depends on if you have bolt bounce or not.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#5]
If you leave the factory Colt rifle receiver extension (buffer tube) in place, then you can run that 9mm with the stock spring and buffer.

If you change out the buffer tube to carbine length, you will need a heavy/9mm buffer to make it work.  I endorse the springco blue spring and the kyn-shot hydraulic 9mm buffer for this application.  I did a mini write-up on it in this forum a while back.  I've used many different buffer combinations on the M16/9 platform over the last 15 years or so and this is the best I've found thus far.

The fire control group is the same.

You'll like a ramped bolt.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#6]
double tap
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FWIW, the hammer-and-trigger pins breaking with 9mm uppers was evident from the beginning. That's why Colt quickly switched to stainless steel pins for all factory 9mm full-autos.

So at the very least, go to SS pins.

When I got my first 9mm M16 upper in 1996, I broke the factory Colt mild-steel hammer pin in the first few range sessions. If was scary to discover, because had I not found it, the holes in my receiver wall would have opened up quickly.

I then switched to KNS pins, and I'm running the same set of KNS pins more than two decades later.

Your Mileage May Vary.
View Quote

A ramped bolt pretty much eliminates this problem though, right?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Finally, because a transferable lower is worth $15k to $25k, I always run KNS pins (the Gen. 1.5, with hex screws at all four ends, if you can find a set).

Here's why: If you break a hammer or trigger pin, the gun will continue to fire. About all you may notice is that the ROF speeds up and slows down slightly (this does not always happen). However, the component on the broken pin will wobble up and down, side to side.

Think of how you loosen a nail in a board: You wobble it up and down and side to side until the hole opens enough to pull it out.

The locking KNS pins keep the pin stubs, even if they break, perpendicular to the receiver walls. In addition, the locking pins redistribute any impact to all four receiver wall holes, greatly lessening it. It's like four people lifting a tree instead of two people -- much easier.

Getting that peace of mind is worth $28 to me, because I can't replace my Colt M16A1.

Your Mileage May Vary.
View Quote

Wow, excellent description and analogy. I'll bet you just sold some KNS pin sets!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Buying an M16A1 and want to shoot 9mm. Is the Colt 9mm fire control group the same as the M16? Would anti walk trigger pins be recommended running the 9mm?

View Quote

KAC makes them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

KAC makes them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

KAC makes them.
Good luck finding one for sale. I'd love one of these for my M16 but I don't think KAC likes them being sold to civilians.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good luck finding one for sale. I'd love one of these for my M16 but I don't think KAC likes them being sold to civilians.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

KAC makes them.
Oops  Here they are:
KAC FA selector
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have a ramped bolt then you may run into problems with certain trigger groups not resetting the action properly.  I wrote about my experience in the pistol caliber carbine forum.  Trigger group is a Geissele SSF, Hahn mag well block, all other parts except furniture are Colt, the bolt was ramped by M60Joe.  On semi-auto the gun sometimes would fail to reset causing double taps or triple taps.  Geissele customer service said none of their triggers are designed for ramped bolts, since they don't have long enough of a tail to consistently reset.  In that forum after many posts the conclusion is some combination of parts will work well together, and some don't work well together.  Ask there or here for what combination you're going to try.  I like the SSF trigger for both 556 and 9, I'm not going to switch it out for 9.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:07:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

One thing to watch for is a flattening on the top of the disconnector:
View Quote
What exactly does this flattening of the disconnector look like? It looks like the hammer hits it during normal use so it's bound to show some wear.

So how much is too much?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:13:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Anything more than a shiny spot on the disconnecter where it's hit by the hammer is too much wear. There should be no metal displacement.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top