BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#1]
M4s existed prior to may of 1986?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Enhanced M4 was created circa 2010 for the Individual Carbine competition.

M4 was designed 1988, put into service 1994.

I've sent the broker an email as to how these are transferable. Waiting to hear back. I have theories as to what these really are.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've sent the broker an email as to how these are transferable. Waiting to hear back. I have theories as to what these really are.
View Quote

There is some discussion on other boards about their "provenance" / previous owners .......and what they are / aren't.........

"grey area" is the term I'd use.....but ATF seems to continually allow the transfers of the Colt "remanufactured" guns.............

I'd personally be nervous tying my $$ up in one......

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I was offered these before target master got them. I couldn't see putting my money into them. Kinda like those replaced Oly M16's that are running around.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There is some discussion on other boards about their "provenance" / previous owners .......and what they are / aren't.........

"grey area" is the term I'd use.....but ATF seems to continually allow the transfers of the Colt "remanufactured" guns.............

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Links to discussions?  

I agree with you, seems like a huge problem waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]
They are listing a transferrable "Balimoy" as well.......with a very odd serial #........

I didn't think Balimoy actually started making receivers till '88, and they were all in the 7,000,000-7,429,766 serial # range........could be wrong though
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Unlike some of the other guns these appear to at least have proper A2 style forgings vs. the obvious late model forgings that didn't exist pre-86.

Only way I could see these being legal is that Colt had transferable M16A2 receivers that had yet to be rollmarked and these were rollmarked M4 post-86 but with pre-86 transferable receivers.

Given all these recent *unique* Colts coming onto the market in the past year or two its certainly seems like some sort of insider at Colt got a bunch of guns made on old paper or remanufactured with old serial numbers.  Either that or somebody invented a time machine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Given all these recent *unique* Colts coming onto the market in the past year or two its certainly seems like some sort of insider at Colt got a bunch of guns made on old paper or remanufactured with old serial numbers.  Either that or somebody invented a time machine.
View Quote

My supposition is they were early 2000's replacements when ATF still allowed the original manufacturer to replace receivers with new ones remanufactured with the same serial numbers, under a variance letter. ATF shut down that practice around 2003, iirc.  If so, they're in a gray area, and under current ATF guidelines would be reclassified as post-samples.  In the recent past, ATF has allowed the current owner to retain such examples, but forbid them from further transfers in the future.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Unlike some of the other guns these appear to at least have proper A2 style forgings vs. the obvious late model forgings that didn't exist pre-86.

Only way I could see these being legal is that Colt had transferable M16A2 receivers that had yet to be rollmarked and these were rollmarked M4 post-86 but with pre-86 transferable receivers.

View Quote

Some are saying this has happened as late as 2011 (give or take a few years)

Just pay close attention to the SN# ranges on these "A2's"........
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#12]
My thoughts are the same listed above. They're pretty cool though, that I'll add.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top