Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2016 9:16:49 PM EDT
So i had my shrike just about a year. Its been great.
The last shoot i went to i only got 2 belts through it and my charging handle broke.
Not a huge deal, im working with Ares to hopefully get a replacement.
In the mean time i wanted some spare parts and a spare charging handle.
So i ordered  a spring kits, spare bcg, another barrel, front sight and handle, and a charging handle.

My unit is a gen5.... the replacement charging handle i received doesnt seem to fit my upper.

The part that broke off the first one is larger on the new one.. like .075-.100"
Which probibly makes it stonger..  but im having some kind of issue.
Ares needed my serial number which i though was warentee  related, now I'm wondering if maybe all the charging handles aren't the same.

I searched the web and havent seen anything on the subject.Once i hear back from Ares ill post what i learn and a customer service review.

The new one is also alittle different in another way. Youll see it in the  photo
http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/MGnoob/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160516_212805_zps7pfautwp.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting problem, be sure to keep us posted.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
So ares has confirmed that there are different charging handles.
My unit takes the old style which sucks because it is supposed to be a newer unit.
Im pretty sure the old style charging handle will work in any unit, But the newer slightly beefier handle will not work in older units( unless you file to fit)

Im alittle dissipoint that my unit doesnt take the stronger one. But since ive had a it a year and definitely have more than 50k round through the unit. I guess its not a big deal.
Ares warenteed the handle and i order 2 spares. So i think ill be good to go for awhile.

Other than cleaning.. i cant really say ive done much maintenance.. i think one time i put a new oprod spring in only to take it out because the old one was fine.
My phosphate tray only show slight wear.
Some of the lugs on by bolt have slight wear.
And the pin that joins the bolt to the carrier shows moderate wear and will be replaced before use.
Ill probibly change the oprod spring since its only $13 just because

If you guys are interest ill post some photos of its overall condition.

If anyones buying a new unit, id make sure you get the one that takes the newer style handle.. the handle is really the only weak link and even then it holds up well if your not to ruff..
Tight links would be a great way to break your chargin handle.....mine i think was just fatigued from use and being kind of weak in general
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:27:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a Gen 2 charging handle break (where it contacts the bolt carrier). They asked for the unit serial number and had me return the broken handle.

I recieved an identical handle a couple of weeks later.

In my opinion, the charging handle and rear receiver lug are weak points in the system and need to be handled with kid gloves.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I figured i wasnt the first the first person to run into the issue.

I should just have warrenteed the handle and bought a second complete unit.
But add sights, and acessories. And it was more money than i could swing..

Ill have to watch the used market.. i dont think not having the new charging handles a deal breaker if i could find one cheap enough. And then both my units would be compatible
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#5]
That's interesting because I have a generation 1 Shrike and I had the charging handle get stuck (came halfway off the rails when disassembling and locked in place). I ordered a new one from the factory and they sent me one. No mention of newer model or not. It fit just fine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I should clarify something.. the parts i ordered from mid west gunworks,
While doing the warranty with ares. I didnt know aswell as MWG didnt know anything about
Different charging handles.they let me return the two handles i had got and bought 2 from ares. Aswell as a spare oprod becuase MWG was out of stock.

I wonder how long they have  been selling the units with receivers that accept the newer handle.
I though they had already inproved them when i bought mine but once it arrived i was skeptical. I wonder if they had a bunch of old style receiver around and had to deplete them first.

I went with MWG because i thought it would be more convient than going through ares, because they have an online store.

Also the ares 2016 price was alittle more expensive than MWG that must still be using 2015 pricing.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got back from a shoot.. after changing the springs.. i ran 3k round and broke another handle, not by pulling it.
So somthing is wrong.. i figured my oprod must be bent or something.  change the spring and put a brand new oprod and charging handle in it. I got another 1500 rds thrpugh it and i broke another charging handle.. i have one left but am not running it till its fixed.

Im going to contanct a gunsmith who works on alot of these and send it back to aries..
Somethings going on here..i wish i sold my unit and bought another.after this adventure ill have enough money in this unit and parts i could have just bought another.. ill keep you posted when the issue is resolved..

Thing runs awsome other than this stupid shit.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Ares customer support has been great. My unit went out today. They said they'd get it sorted out for me.
Im going to buy a second new unit when they go to ship the first one back.

I found a bag of used oprod springs so i guess ive changed them  more than i thought. Not counting the 2 i used at the last shoot.i have 6 more used ones in my case.
Being new to FA i guess i should start keeping maintance logs on my firearms so im not just guessing what i did and when.
It has some real value i guess more than when i just used my several ARs in semi and nothing ever would wear out in a normal lifetime of use.

Im going to order 10 or more of the oprod spring and just swap them out every 2500 rounds. While probibly not necessary. Id like to avoid having to send my units back in if possible.I also almost always pull the hot barrel when done firing to keep the head from transfering into the oprod and spring

Im curious if the upper receiver will need to be replaced, or if the tube in the handgaurd that the oprod goes through is causing my issue.i have a night shoot i have been waiting almosrt a year to go to so i can shoot a bunch of tracers through it in like 3 or 4 weeks.Ares told me if i dont have it back in time there not doing there job right.

So ill keep you posted, but ive got to say the more i deal with Ares the more i like them and ill only be getting my parts directly from them because i also wonder if the last batch of spring i ordered was bad. They didnt hold up like the others i ordered when i got the unit did.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Ares customer support has been great.
View Quote

Clearly you're not from New York.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Ares customer support has been great.

Thank god im not.
Ares got back to me, told me they needed my barrels which i guess was pretty stupid of me not to send them..
I dont see how it could be related to the piston in the barrel, but if it was that would be great seeing as has its only a $30 part.
They make a big deal about not sending your unit in with the oprod under pressure of the oprod spring...because it can come flying out of it a barrel isnt attached.. i assumed they just used demo barrels.

So when the barrels arrive on monday im sure they let me know whats up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Ares got back to me. They think theres some problem with my receiver.They Are replacinging it with there newest version.
Their new units are NOT compatible with the old units charging handle.So if anyone needs a charging handle for there unit i have a spare one for sale.PM me if interested
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top