Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2016 10:49:00 AM EDT
Looking for a lightning link compatible 9mm bolt.   Most likely will need it cut down.   I only need it to work with Colt style.  I contacted ADCO and it's not something they want to do (now).  

Know anyone that has experience with 9mm bolts and a lightning link?

I would appreciate any tips regarding a LL and 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Check with m60Joe
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  I have the pictures.   Didn't even think about Joe.   Grrrrrr.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest running a lightning link protector if you are not doing so already.  I also run a reduced power disconnector spring as well.

9MM is much harder on the link than its rifle caliber siblings.  

Overall the Colt 9MM system has on average a faster cycle time that most common rifle caliber setups (although this is obviously dependent upon how the  rifle caliber upper is configured as there are exceptions)  

The 9MM bolt/carrier also has no separate rotating bolt assembly which acts like a brake on carrier speed closing velocity.  On rifle caliber setup, the bolt slams home and energy and carrier speed is burned off as the cam pin is actuated and bolt has to cam approximately 22 degrees during the last quarter inch of travel.     This means the 9MM bolt is traveling on overall higher average velocity when it slams into the lightning link paddle, which in turn actuates or “jerks” the link back faster against the disconnector putting more stress on it.  

Using a protector means that the most fragile portion of the link (the rear ears) are more protected and a reduced power disco  spring means less force is applied to the link to pull the disconnector back.

As always make sure your lower is properly relieved so that the  link doesn’t bind anywhere during its rearward travel, including both the underside of the rear lug and the sidewalls of the receiver where they narrow in around the selector barrel.

I have run tens of thousands of rounds through my M16/9 setup over a decade using a  link with no adverse affects.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.  Makes sense.

Where would I go to get reduced power disconnector springs?  I am using a modified burst kit.  Would I need 2?  Are the springs identical (left versus right)?  They look identical, but I'm not sure.

No, I have not tried this set up yet.  I do not have a compatible bolt yet.

edit.

are these the springs?

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?page=items&cID=2&mID=1&dID=79#979
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.  Makes sense.

Where would I go to get reduced power disconnector springs?  I am using a modified burst kit.  Would I need 2?  Are the springs identical (left versus right)?  They look identical, but I'm not sure.

edit.

are these the springs?

View Quote

The Colt burst disco springs are different.  One is black and one is silver.  I believe the silver one goes on the right and is stronger to keep the rachet arm tight against the burst cam as it cycles.

The last DPMS kit I received came with two identical disco spring, but that was many years ago.

I use the gunspring ones in the link above for my Safe/Auto lowers in case I am using a link in one of them.

I do have a reduced power spring in my 3rd burst modded select fire lower but I believe I ordered a custom spring for the right side disconnector of lower weight since the gunspring ones didn't exist at the time.   I think I ordered a bunch of spring from smallparts.com but that was 10 years ago or so my memory may be a bit fuzzy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Colt burst disco springs are different.  One is black and one is silver.  I believe the silver one goes on the right and is stronger to keep the rachet arm tight against the burst cam as it cycles.

The last DPMS kit I received came with two identical disco spring, but that was many years ago.

I use the gunspring ones in the link above for my Safe/Auto lowers in case I am using a link in one of them.

I do have a reduced power spring in my 3rd burst modded select fire lower but I believe I ordered a custom spring for the right side disconnector of lower weight since the gunspring ones didn't exist at the time.   I think I ordered a bunch of spring from smallparts.com but that was 10 years ago or so my memory may be a bit fuzzy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks.  Makes sense.

edit.

are these the springs?

The small parts.com goes to Amazon now!

What do you recommend for a 9mm LL with burst capability?  What springs should I use?  I have a KNS protector already and I will be sending the upper out to get timed.  Its about the same price with the bolt getting cut for the link (after shipping and stuff).
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Its been so long I am not sure what spring I am using at this point.  I do remember I ordered a bunch of springs (given material vs. shipping cost) and picked one of them.

If I was doing it today I would just purchase one of the gunsprings reduced power 3 packs.  They might be a touch bit tight to get into the burst trigger as I think the burst spring are slightly smaller in diameter at the base where they lock into the little recesses but nothing a little twist with some needle nose pliers shouldn't be able to take care of.

That sucks about smallparts.com being gone.  I loved that site for small quantities of misc springs, tubing, ball bearings, etc.

Looks like you are correct that they got swallowed by amazon industrial.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Its been so long I am not sure what spring I am using at this point.  I do remember I ordered a bunch of springs (given material vs. shipping cost) and picked one of them.

If I was doing it today I would just purchase one of the gunsprings reduced power 3 packs.  They might be a touch bit tight to get into the burst trigger as I think the burst spring are slightly smaller in diameter at the base where they lock into the little recesses but nothing a little twist with some needle nose pliers shouldn't be able to take care of.

That sucks about smallparts.com being gone.  I loved that site for small quantities of misc springs, tubing, ball bearings, etc.

Looks like you are correct that they got swallowed by amazon industrial.

View Quote

I ordered normal disconnector springs from Brownell and the reduced power from Wolff.

I'll use the normal springs for my 556 lower and the reduced ones for the 9mm.  I'm assuming the reduced power for auto, not for semi.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What do you recommend for a 9mm LL with burst capability?  
View Quote

No burst currently possible with LL. The burst mechanism gets used for select fire vs safe-auto only.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No burst currently possible with LL. The burst mechanism gets used for select fire vs safe-auto only.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you recommend for a 9mm LL with burst capability?  

Apologies.   I mean with the burst kit installed.  The burst kit gives it safe-semi-auto (with proper modification).   That's what I meant.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top