Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2016 7:32:28 PM EDT
Tried my new Titan 10" upper on my m16 and it ran great, 800 rounds and no issue except that my mag kept dropping out.
It doesn't drop mags with a M4 15.5" barrel.
Fit and finnish was much better than I expected. Balance was great! No feeding issues at all!
Thinking the shorter barrel hits back harder. I put a toothpick in the side of the mag release button and they did not drop.
The short barrels must shake things up a bit more shaking up the loose mag release button.
But I love the Titan upper! the fit and finish was much better than what I expected.
I will try a new button spring. I was wondering if anyone had a mag drop issue with a shorter upper.

Thx
J
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The Magwell and catch are all part of the lower so I would focus on that before the upper. Try a new mag well spring, catch and Button first, maybe different mags. Swap bolt carrier groups as the bottom of the BCG make contact with the rounds and pushing down on the mag spring, I doubt this is the issue but worth a try.

I don't see how the barrel length would have anything to do with this. An SBR shouldn't have more recoil, it's the same round being fired, the difference is likely you're not used to the grip/balance and it feels harder to control. Practice makes perfect.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the op is referring to the really hard recoil. Iirc the Titans gas block is a bit out of spec and is over gassed .

OP have you tried a h3 buffer?

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Can the mag catch be tightened an extra turn or two?  This might be all you need.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can the mag catch be tightened an extra turn or two?  This might be all you need.
View Quote

X2, I would check this first.  Is the catch threaded flush into the mag release button?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I swapped out the mag catch parts with new FN AR15 parts.   WOW! The FN spring was about 1/5th longer.
I will give it a try it and see if it works.  Then thinking I am ok?
I just dont want to risk damaging the M16 lower wit a over gassing problem.  It has a H3 buffer and timing is great, no miss-feeds at all.
It does not have a mag drop problem with the 14.5 upper.  But I know a piston upper is different.
Think the lower could get damaged????
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I swapped out the mag catch parts with new FN AR15 parts.   WOW! The FN spring was about 1/5th longer.
I will give it a try it and see if it works.  Then thinking I am ok?
I just dont want to risk damaging the M16 lower wit a over gassing problem.  It has a H3 buffer and timing is great, no miss-feeds at all.
It does not have a mag drop problem with the 14.5 upper.  But I know a piston upper is different.
Think the lower could get damaged????
View Quote

I seriously doubt you will damage anything, just run it and watch things closely for a while to make sure things are running right.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Iirc the Titans gas block is a bit out of spec and is over gassed .
View Quote

I never heard anyone blame a gas block for being over gassed. Most if not all gas blocks have a hole substantially larger than the gas port. The over/under gas is determined by the size of the gas port in the barrel. A gas block can't increase the amount of gas coming out of the gas port in the barrel. You can get gas blocks that are adjustable and restrict the flow of the gas coming out of the gas port, but running wide opened it's all the same.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I never heard anyone blame a gas block for being over gassed. Most if not all gas blocks have a hole substantially larger than the gas port. The over/under gas is determined by the size of the gas port in the barrel. A gas block can't increase the amount of gas coming out of the gas port in the barrel. You can get gas blocks that are adjustable and restrict the flow of the gas coming out of the gas port, but running wide opened it's all the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Iirc the Titans gas block is a bit out of spec and is over gassed .

It's a piston gun.  The clone gas block is not vented the real ones are vented to prevent over gassing!

Do you have a Titan upper?

The Titan uses different size Pistons to control gas.

Op is it recoiling really hard even with the h3 buffer?

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
yes, its a Titan.   I think it feels fine, timing is on great, no failure to eject or light strikes.  I like it the way it is but the mag kept falling out.  it stayed in if you hold it by the mag to keep it in.
Works real well with the h3 buffer.
I am just afraid that it could damage the m16 lower $$$$$$$.
but I dont feel the recoil that bad for me.
I could try the new mag catch spring.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's a piston gun.  The clone gas block is not vented the real ones are vented to prevent over gassing!

Do you have a Titan upper?

View Quote

Ohhhh, no i do not have one. I do not mess with piston guns, more things to break and go wrong.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
yes, its a Titan.   I think it feels fine, timing is on great, no failure to eject or light strikes.  I like it the way it is but the mag kept falling out.  it stayed in if you hold it by the mag to keep it in.
Works real well with the h3 buffer.
I am just afraid that it could damage the m16 lower $$$$$$$.
but I dont feel the recoil that bad for me.
I could try the new mag catch spring.
View Quote

Great , I had good luck with a hk 416 spring and buffer really softened the recoil
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top