Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2016 2:11:27 PM EDT
Greetings,

I Like my M16 direct-impingement 11.5" upper generally, although it gives
quite a blast of gas in the face when shooting suppressed.
(and before anyone asks, yes, I have a "gas buster" charging handle
installed, which helps only a little).

This issue has caused me to think again about maybe getting a piston upper
to run on it.

Any suggestions in this regard?   Possibilities I've seen include the HK416
upper and some offerings from LWRC.

Thanks for your input,

SD

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Any piston upper should work in an M16 or AR conversion, provided you have the correct bolt carrier.

The usual concern with piston systems that don't have something like the internal rails of the 416 types, is carrier tilt, which can put wear on your receiver extension and possibly your expensive full auto lower - though there are also various fixes to mitigate or eliminate tilt.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
HK416 upper is nice but overpriced. Investment Grade Firearms can convert a MR556 upper to enable full auto but you still don't get adjustable gas.

For my "HK416" fix I bought a POF 416 10.5" upper. 3 position gas selector: normal, suppressed, off.

Much less gas to the face. Only drawback is that most suppressor mounts will be too wide to remove the gas selector for cleaning without removing the suppressor mount. See the minimal clearance for the gas plug to be removed with the factory muzzle brake in the pic.

For your carrier tilt concerns, POF makes an anti-tilt buffer tube.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest sticking with your DI upper and getting an adjustable gas block instead. You can tune the gas system to where there's very little gas in your face. But yeah the Gas Buster charging handle is also a good start. I also like to run heavier buffers as well. Maybe pick up a H3 buffer or 9mm buffer. Of course also keep in mind no matter what kind of upper you run your'e always going to get some gas in the face, it's just the nature of suppressors in general. But I personally find my DI uppers to be quieter than my piston uppers.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies thus far.  Did some more quick searching and found a chart showing "proper" ejection (see below).

Based on my shooting range video, I'm ejecting in the 1-2:00 zone, which is overgassed.

So I'll probably order the H3 buffer; also, I was using the M42K suppressor.  I have an SDN6
also, and I'm going to bet that using it will cause a bit less back pressure.

Again, thanks for all the responses.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I run the Adams Arms Kit. Have had it a few years on and it has been flawless.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]
http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57&product_id=496

I put that on my Suppressed 10.5" and I now have no issue with gas in the face. Also, since there is less gas i changed to a V7 Titanium BCG instead of steel and went from a H2 to an H1 buffer, runs just as reliably and i reduced the weight of my rifle by like 6+ oz. Adjustable gas blocks are def the way to go.

IMO piston uppers just add weight and extra parts to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an LWRC 10.5 with adjustable gas. The adjustment knob is easily reached and it's tuned to be either suppressed or not. Easy operation, and it has performed flawlessly in semi and full auto. If I had to do it over again, I would purchase the same upper.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.  I get hammered on M4C for saying it though.  Several years ago, Midsouth had the Adams retrofit kits on sale for like half price.  I built an upper with a gray Colt flat-top to match my 9m-serial-number Colt lower, Noveske 10.5" polygonal, and the AA retrofit kit complete with bolt carrier.  It runs great.  It's cool and clean.  I hardly ever have to clean it.  It doesn't get nearly as hot as the DI systems that I'd used before.  I do get a bit of wear in the buffer tube, but I feel that as long as I keep an eye on it and replace the tube every few years, my Colt lower will be just fine.

Aside from the carrier tilt issue, one more thing may make you re-think using a piston and a suppressor:  To the shooter's ears, the piston system is louder with a can than a DI system.  I believe this is because most of the noise from a DI gun comes out the vent holes in the carrier - out the right side of the gun, and away from a right-handed shooter's ears.  But with the piston system, the venting is right in front of you, at the gas block.  So it doesn't sound as quiet to the shooter as the DI does.

But  that's a small price to pay for all that cool, clean, hassle-free shooting.

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have an LWRC 10.5 with adjustable gas. The adjustment knob is easily reached and it's tuned to be either suppressed or not. Easy operation, and it has performed flawlessly in semi and full auto. If I had to do it over again, I would purchase the same upper.
View Quote

My buddy has one of these and also a 10.5 Mk416 upper and both are great.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I just picked up a adams arms 545x39mm cant wait to chop it and bang xxxxxxx!
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do also. Many thousands through it and 100% with and without can.  Mine is M6A3 10.5"
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have a 10.5" M6A2 that has always run as expected. The only thing I would change is I would have gotten it with the adjustable gas.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't think you'll put NEAR the amount of rounds through them than Battlefield Vegas does, but the guy that runs it says the only piston uppers that survived non stop full auto are the HK and TDI (Titan Defense 415) 416 uppers.

Everything else failed.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I run the Noveske SwitchBlock on my RR.  I like it a lot.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Adams arms piston kit on a 7.5" barrel.  Runs great, only downside is piston guns are heavy bastards.  I get no gas in the face.

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a factory adams arms 545x39 piston upper i have to change out the buffer in the m16 lower?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Just wanted to f/u on my earlier thread with some info on various options I have since tried, for reducing gas
blowback in an M16 running FA suppressed--

#1.  GemTech suppressed bolt carrier

http://www.silencershop.com/gemtech-5-56-suppressed-bolt-carrier.html

Definitely lowers the rate of fire when set to "suppressed".  I didn't feel like it improved gas
blowback that much, however.  (and when looking at the design, not that surprising, as it does
nothing to decrease the gas actually reaching the upper receiver).

#2.  Adams Arms 556 Carbine Tactical EVO 11.5" Evolution Piston Upper

http://www.adamsarms.net/11-5-carbine-tactical-evo-upper

I've put 150 rds through it, and this is the best option I've found... no malfunctions so far.
Of course, there's still a small amount of gas coming out of the chamber & spent casings as
they're ejected.  But, this option is cost-effective and presently available.

Cons - can't remove gas plug with 51T mount installed (mentioned already in this thread);
A little heavier than a similar low-profile DI upper (this is actually the first piston upper I've used on any
AR15/M16 platform)

Of course, all the low-profile/lightweight/PDW uppers get hot fast under full-auto fire... I may
have to next find a good "range upper" to mitigate this, as much as possible.

Anyone running the "Dissipator" style uppers on an M16?

(e.g.,  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/683909/bushmaster-ar-15-dissipator-a3-upper-receiver-assembly-556x45mm-nato-16-barrel)

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just wanted to f/u on my earlier thread with some info on various options I have since tried, for reducing gas

Definitely lowers the rate of fire when set to "suppressed".  I didn't feel like it improved gas
blowback that much, however.  (and when looking at the design, not that surprising, as it does

Correct, the same amount of gas goes through the gas block, into the gas tube and into the upper, at which point some of it is released out the side of the BCG, which of course is right by your face. I haven't tried this BCG before but I imagine it makes gas tot he face worse.

I've put 150 rds through it, and this is the best option I've found... no malfunctions so far.
Of course, there's still a small amount of gas coming out of the chamber & spent casings as

Cons - can't remove gas plug with 51T mount installed (mentioned already in this thread);
A little heavier than a similar low-profile DI upper (this is actually the first piston upper I've used on any
AR15/M16 platform)

Piston systems work well with suppressors, but they tend to be a bit louder because they release the gas to the open air rather than in the enclosed upper. But they are effective at keeping the action clean and gas out of your face. The main downside is the weight as the gas block/piston assembling is usually large and you are replacing a tiny light weight gas tube with a heavy piston rod. Also, you have to use proprietary parts so options like lightweight BCGs are not an option, again "adding" more  weight to the rifle.

Of course, all the low-profile/lightweight/PDW uppers get hot fast under full-auto fire... I may

Yes lightweight builds heat up quick, there is little material there to absorb the heat. I love my 10.5" Ultra Lightweight pencil thin barrel but im hesitant to do any high volume of fire with it. If you want extended high rates of fire you will need to step up to heavy barrel or preferable a quick change barrel system, Ruger or a Shrike being the only two options I know of for the M16

Yes I have a 16" upper with full length guard (Maybe its a mid-length), its what I use when people just want to do mag dumps.

(e.g.,  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/683909/bushmaster-ar-15-dissipator-a3-upper-receiver-assembly-556x45mm-nato-16-barrel)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Correct, the same amount of gas goes through the gas block, into the gas tube and into the upper, at which point some of it is released out the side of the BCG, which of course is right by your face. I haven't tried this BCG before but I imagine it makes gas tot he face worse.

AR15/M16 platform)

Piston systems work well with suppressors, but they tend to be a bit louder because they release the gas to the open air rather than in the enclosed upper. But they are effective at keeping the action clean and gas out of your face. The main downside is the weight as the gas block/piston assembling is usually large and you are replacing a tiny light weight gas tube with a heavy piston rod. Also, you have to use proprietary parts so options like lightweight BCGs are not an option, again "adding" more  weight to the rifle.

Yes lightweight builds heat up quick, there is little material there to absorb the heat. I love my 10.5" Ultra Lightweight pencil thin barrel but im hesitant to do any high volume of fire with it. If you want extended high rates of fire you will need to step up to heavy barrel or preferable a quick change barrel system, Ruger or a Shrike being the only two options I know of for the M16

Yes I have a 16" upper with full length guard (Maybe its a mid-length), its what I use when people just want to do mag dumps.

I still highly recommend you try an adjustable gas block. It should solve all of your issues without adding weight to the firearm and allowing you to use all milspec style parts including high end after market parts.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I still highly recommend you try an adjustable gas block. It should solve all of your issues without adding weight to the firearm and allowing you to use all milspec style parts including high end after market parts.
View Quote

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post - good info!

Could someone send / post a link to a recommended adjustable gas block upper that I can just Purchase?
(don't want to build one myself right now)

And yeah-- looking like I'm going to end up getting a more traditional upper for
range use / "kind of" high volume fire.  (and don't you just love the modularity
of the M16 system?! )

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Could someone send / post a link to a recommended adjustable gas block upper that I can just Purchase?

And yeah-- looking like I'm going to end up getting a more traditional upper for
range use / "kind of" high volume fire.  (and don't you just love the modularity
of the M16 system?! )

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

of the M16 system?! )

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57_125&product_id=496
That's what I use on mine
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top