Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2015 9:14:18 AM EDT
I have the chance to buy this DIAS but the body and stip seem different than other smiths that I have seen. Is this just a earlier/later varient or could this be a remarked shotgun news replacement?

What worries me is the sharp not rounded trip and the extra steel "plate" that is added inside the U.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The sear is not rounded but that could mean it was not used much or that the sear (unmarked lever portion) was replaced at some point which is perfectly legal.

Ive never seen a DIAS with a extra steel plate in it. Does the owner know the story behind why this was added? Does it require the steel plate to fit properly?
Best case scenario a previous owner had a non-milspec upper and he filled it to fit then later someone added the steel plate for the correct fit with milspec uppers
Worst case its a reproduction and the machinist over milled it. But if you were going to take the time to do something illegal i would think if you messed up you would just start over.

Does the Form 4 look legit?

some pics off m60joes website

http://users.zoominternet.net/~m60/rdiastypes.htm
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing illegal about either concern.

Due diligence on the Form 4, that's really all you can do.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#3]
He should cut you 50% off for the extra steel plate.  

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The plate could just be really a shim to tighten it to the lug.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]
That does not look like a SuPressOn pre-81 DIAS.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't know Smith made steel ones. Cool.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#8]
How is the steel shim attached?
Could not see if there was a dab of weld in the pics.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I got to fire some converted guns done by Ron Smith's Dad, Richard Smith in Arizona during a trip to see the McMillans.

They had some M14k's and a select fire Browning High Power pistol that were both Pre86.  They had some converted Rock Island M16s, but I thought they were registered receiver guns, and not DIASs.  

You might check with Ron Smith at Smith Enterprises if he can verify the DIAS.  He is usually pretty good to talk to, but is sometimes pretty busy.

Def check on Form 4 to verify as there are a lot of scammers working since DIAS prices have gone through the roof.

Due Diligence is the word of the day.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I am glad I found this thread. Please contact me right away. I bought a DIAS over a year ago and these pictures were the ones that were sent to me during that transaction.

PM me. PM to you is inbound. There is something very very strange going on here.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:38:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am glad I found this thread. Please contact me right away. I bought a DIAS over a year ago and these pictures were the ones that were sent to me during that transaction.

PM me. PM to you is inbound. There is something very very strange going on here.

View Quote

Did you get your DIAS?

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I did. Fully transferred to me. It works. Nothing wrong as far I can tell.

The pictures in OP are not just similar, they are the exact same pictures I was sent when I first started investigating the purchase of the DIAS I now have.

I have my suspicions about what is going on here, want to discuss with OP.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did. Fully transferred to me. It works. Nothing wrong as far I can tell.

The pictures in OP are not just similar, they are the exact same pictures I was sent when I first started investigating the purchase of the DIAS I now have.

I have my suspicions about what is going on here, want to discuss with OP.
View Quote

Well for your sake I hope yours is a legit registered DIAS and hopefully the person trying to sell to OP just ripped of the pictures.

Keep us all posted once you find out what's going on, it's always good to keep track of things like this and with such a small market of MGs it does make a difference.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Based on the documentation I have for my transaction and everything that occurred, I have no concerns on my end.

I think you are on the right track with regards to reuse of pictures. But want to discuss with OP to see if we can discuss the facts and figure out what's what.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#15]
***************PLEASE READ****************************************

I was the original owner who took those photos for a sear which I sold over a year ago!   The buyer still has the sear and is not selling as far as I know.  DO NOT send any money to the seller. These photos are likely being used as a part of a scam!!
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top