Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2015 3:13:11 PM EDT
Wondering if you could use RLL with Sig MCX?
It does look like an AR type of firearm... any thoughts?

Pix borrowed from Sig section of AR15.com

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess the first question is if it'll physically fit, and function in the same manner.  Without dimensions and pics of the internals I couldn't hazard a guess.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess the first question is if it'll physically fit, and function in the same manner.  Without dimensions and pics of the internals I couldn't hazard a guess.
View Quote

Bingo.  

An RLL requires an sp1 bcg.  An mcx doesn't use a standard bcg, so I very much doubt it would work in the first place.  I too would like to see an internal picture or schematic of it though.  Damn things might not even work with a DIAS

Gotta know it it would even fit and function before thinking about whether it would be legal.  My guess is that it wouldn't be anyway, but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Folding buttstock means it's going to require a forward mounted sear trip.  I would say that's probably a no-go for a LL or DIAS.        

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to say, it looks pretty sweet.  Any word on release date or MSRP?        

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Out of the box the answer appears to be no.

Look at the BCG and how short it is.  While the rear lug could be used to trip the link, the bolt carrier is too short.

That said, from a mechanical perspective I suspect that you could make a trip that could actuate a link.  Think of a scaled  up sear trip similar to what is used in a Ciener M16 22LR kit that sits in the upper and the bolt carrier hits which in turn trips the link paddle.

Whether it would all be kosher per the ATF, I don't know but I suspect the answer may be No.

Teardown pics of the MCX below

http://www.recoilweb.com/recoil-exclusive-breakdown-of-the-sig-mcx-56367.html

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Very interesting sear trip extension on the 5.56 version.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Very interesting sear trip extension on the 5.56 version.
View Quote

Indeed, interesting!  With a modified sear trip extension, it might be possible to make it work with an RLL.  After that the next question would be if ATF would consider doing so to be "making a new, post-86 machinegun" out of the combination.

ETA: If it works with what looks to be standard M16 FCG in the lower, it'll almost certainly work with an RDIAS.  Same question as above about legality would remain.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]
If a Ciener is kosher, this should be too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I had wondered the same about the MPX model coming out.  Have yet to see the inside of one of those but I do know standard AR/M16 FCG parts work.  I tried to look inside one at the SHOT show last year and stupid me I asked if I could open it and the guy said no and why I wanted to.  I told him I was curious if a Geiselle trigger would work and he said the SSF was tested and worked fine.   If it is the same as the MCX pictures linked here it might work.  Not sure if the ATF would allow or not.  They did approve the use in the Colt 901 (someone here posted they have a letter at least for themselves) and that is a little different than a standard AR pattern firearm.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very interesting sear trip extension on the 5.56 version.http://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Sig_MCX_Breakdown010.jpg

View Quote

That is ingenious. I look forward to putting one on my M16 lower.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top