Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2014 4:41:00 PM EDT
I'm new here, don't know if this is the right place. Im sure this question has been asked before. But, Here goes: I work at a PD, with limited budget of course, we have some M16A1s and I'd like to make them more user friendly for our SWAT team. I'm looking at a DD 10.3 barrel, swap upper to flat top, carbine length gas tube, low pro gas block, swap to McFarland gas ring, carbine length buffer tube and spring and buffer, telescoping stock and a new flash suppressor. I'm planning on using the current BCG. What significant issues will I run in to? I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
swap to McFarland gas ring
View Quote

Negative on that one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not just call DD and see if you can get a LE rate on a few complete MK18 uppers instead of piecing together a system?

That will probably eliminate a bunch of your potential issues right there.  You'll need to swap the buffer springs when you swap the tubes, and you should probably run H2 buffers.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not just call DD and see if you can get a LE rate on a few complete MK18 uppers instead of piecing together a system?

That will probably eliminate a bunch of your potential issues right there.  You'll need to swap the buffer springs when you swap the tubes, and you should probably run H2 buffers.
View Quote

I'd also suggest just getting complete uppers from someone, be it DD or another quality manufacturer like LMT.

Not sure I'd start with H2 buffers with 10.5" barrels.  Personally I'd recommend 11.5" barrels although they are less common nowadays.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]
11.5 uppers with new stock kits. Easy fix. If you buy them all at once you will probably get a decent deal.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the same situation, brother. My SO wouldn't pay for complete uppers (less BCG) nor barrels and individual parts to make them 11.5". We got a couple barrels and M4 stock kits from JT Distributing, but that was it per the budget. DD was my first choice as well.

We did finally just locate some M4 barrels through the 1033/RTD program. I couldn't find any shorter barrels on there. These were $20 each and we're getting 18 of them. Hopefully they will pass inspection.

I'm planning to use new carbine extractor springs.

Give me a shout if you need anything. I'm our armorer and Colt certified on the M16 family.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy complete mk18 or similar short barrel uppers, as mentioned Daniel defense is a good source. As for the lower receiver, take of the stock and replace with a telescoping carbine stock with mil spec buffer tube. Replace buffer spring with carbine length and get H1 buffers to use with the short barrel.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#7]
H1 buffers?  Really?  The DD MK18 uppers are overgassed as it is.  When I ran a H1 on my MK18 upper and M16 lower, I got crazy amounts of bolt bounce.  The H2 buffer corrected it.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
H1 buffers?  Really?  The DD MK18 uppers are overgassed as it is.  When I ran a H1 on my MK18 upper and M16 lower, I got crazy amounts of bolt bounce.  The H2 buffer corrected it.

View Quote

Well its better than a carbine weight buffer and the H1 worked fine on my mk18. if you need heavier go for it but usually the thinking is start low and work up in weights.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Newer DD Mk18 barrels have significantly smaller gas ports.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top