Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2014 5:18:05 PM EDT
What ammo do you guys typically run in your M16s.  Is there stuff to stay away from, PRVI etc
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Any factory ammo is usually good to go, as long as your gas and buffer are properly set up. I stay away from any reloads (unless they are mine), imo it's easier to miss a squib or some other ammo problem when going full auto.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Only Lake City 5.56 62g or 55g.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]
M193 or m855
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Good stoniest WTH is that? Good to know* the M193 is used by many....bought a good supply today.

ETA: wierd words
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good stoniest WTH is that? Good to know* the M193 is used by many....bought a good supply today.  

View Quote

It's hard stuff to beat at $0.32/round, and if you are a brass picker upper like me, it's great brass!
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's hard stuff to beat at $0.32/round, and if you are a brass picker upper like me, it's great brass!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I save all my brass and give it to my dad, he reloads it and it gets downgraded for use in our AR15s
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
M193 or m855
View Quote

^^This.^^
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#9]
The Luckygunner "study" has some wigged out about steel.  Some recent Russian steel (all Tula, IIRC) has been found to have sub-standard projo diameters.  There is no mention of projo diam measurements in the LG "study".  

Gas cutting from .222 diam bimetal (or copper-clad) projos could easily explain premature bbl wear.  Which is to say I don't know whether it's steel jackets or poor QC that causes the excess wear and early loss of stabilization.  

The bigger concern for me is tumbling projos at very low round counts.  

I still have about 10k old BB-poly with non-ferrous projos that all measure about .224 - give or take about .0003.  I do not worry about them "harming" my 16s in any way.  After about 16k of this stuff my 11.5 blaster still does 12" at 100 yds.  No tumbling.  That tells me what I need to know about these particular lots.

When the old BB-poly is gone I'll have decisions to make.  

Sam
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Luckygunner "study" has some wigged out about steel.  Some recent Russian steel (all Tula, IIRC) has been found to have sub-standard projo diameters.  There is no mention of projo diam measurements in the LG "study".  

Gas cutting from .222 diam bimetal (or copper-clad) projos could easily explain premature bbl wear.  Which is to say I don't know whether it's steel jackets or poor QC that causes the excess wear and early loss of stabilization.  

I still have about 10k old BB-poly with non-ferrous projos that all measure about .224 - give or take about .0003.  I do not worry about them "harming" my 16s in any way.  After about 16k of this stuff my 11.5 blaster still does 12" at 100 yds.  No tumbling.  That tells me what I need to know about these particular lots.

Sam
View Quote

IMO low quality steel cased ammo never made sense to me for several reasons

1) The risk of damage to your MG from steel and other low quality ammo is small but is it worth the few cents a round you save?
2) If you or anyone you know reloads the brass def has value, probably more than what you will save by choosing steel.
3) Some people dont like to pick up brass, but as long as you didnt ride a motorized scooter to the firing line you should be capable of picking it up.
4) If you couldnt afford decent mil spec ammo you probably shouldn't have bought a MG. Thats like buying a Ferrari and not being able to afford the premium gas...
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

1) The risk of damage to your MG from steel and other low quality ammo is small but is it worth the few cents a round you save?

2) If you or anyone you know reloads the brass def has value, probably more than what you will save by choosing steel.

3) Some people dont like to pick up brass, but as long as you didnt ride a motorized scooter to the firing line you should be capable of picking it up.

4) If you couldnt afford decent mil spec ammo you probably shouldn't have bought a MG. Thats like buying a Ferrari and not being able to afford the premium gas...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sam

Thank you for all the info.  I do reload for my semi autos so decent brass is a bonus.  I would never shoot steel out of any rifle I own. With the silly low price of XM193,  which the consensus here seems to be its GTG, I am happy with buying this ammunition, and the LC brass will be good stuff to use in my other rifles.  Thanks again for the replies.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I mainly shoot my reloads.  Also will shoot factory brass and steel (wolf or Brown bear).
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Two FTFires in 24 cases, most through just 3 uppers.  Zero stuck cases.  Zero damage to receivers.  Two broken extractors.  However much M16s are valued, Wolf BB poly has been more reliable than brass case stuff (Malay/XMPD/SA/Rad) for me.    

I understand the arguments concerning steel projos and accelerated bore wear, however unclear the cause.  There is that risk.  But the bore has zero to do with the receiver.  No evidence has surfaced to suggest steel-cased ammo puts my receivers at any increased risk, however slight.  

I don't mind "a few cents" more if I'm getting something for it.  If I owned a Ferrari I would run the octane level it needed to obviate preignition.  Pinging has the potential to damage the engine.  So the analogy with steel and my RRs fails.    

OTOH...........the steel to brass price differential is less now than a decade ago.  Looks like $280/k vs $340/k, +/-.  Brass empties are worth more, yes.  So the economic argument makes sense.    

So I will probably buy brass next purchase time.    

Sam
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#14]
i run almost exclusively steel wolf, brown bear ect in my RLL..... has served me well

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#15]
To the best of my memory, I've only ever shot Federal or Lake City, both brands in 193 or 855 configuration.

As the saying goes, "Life's too short to shoot cheap ammo!"
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
To the best of my memory, I've only ever shot Federal or Lake City, both brands in 193 or 855 configuration.

As the saying goes, "Life's too short and RR M16's are TOO EXPENSIVE to shoot cheap ammo!"
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Back when I could replace my Colt M16A1 for $2k, I usta run South African military. It was all brass-cased, non-corrosive, and you could buy a 2,700-round plastic crate (nine 300-round battle packs) for $300 plus shipping.

Moved on to a steady diet of cheap Federal American Eagle 55-gr. for many, many years.

But now, I pretty much exclusively feed her Federal Lake City or IMI military (about 80% M193 and 20% M855).
View Quote

Still have a bunch of that.
Friend had a 'cop shop', everything except firearms.
Several years after Y2K he informed me that the supply was running out.
I purchased all he had for a few % above his cost and did some electrical-computer work for him.
Never had a hiccup with that ammo.
Same with Hirtenberg 7.62
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't think the Olympic SS-109 shows up much anymore, the made in Greece.
Was not good, primers popping out, I can't recall all the problems, however, they were all major ones.
Early Y2K production.
I would avoid it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't think the Olympic SS-109 shows up much anymore, the made in Greece.
Was not good, primers popping out, I can't recall all the problems, however, they were all major ones.
Early Y2K production.
I would avoid it.
View Quote

AMEN! +1 on this.  I still have a shiite ton of that crap.  I'll risk it in a semi auto AK but NOT anywhere near the 16.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Better get reloading!

55gr M193, 26.5gr WC844 powder, LC case, Win primer.  $125/1000.

then this without any regret:

Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top