Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2014 5:54:35 PM EDT
I just installed my lightning link into a new host. I followed the timing instructions from quarter bore pasted below:

With the link in the rifle, hold the trigger back and cock the action, then slowly ride the cocking handle all the way forward/closed. The hammer should not release. Then while still holding the trigger back, pull the cocking handle back 1/2", then release and let the carrier slam forward. The hammer should be released.

The link cams the disconnector free from the hammer, but due to the slight slop in the design, the carrier must slightly free run for the link to work correctly. If you are able to get the link to release while slowly riding the cocking handle down, then the release timing will be too advanced, and the rifle cycle rate will tend to be a bit too fast.

In regards to adjusting timing, you can always just change the paddle/thickness, but to fine tune, removing a bit of metal from the carrier ledge or disconnector contact point is a simpler way, especially if you are installing a modified burst FCG, and want the link to work with it.

The trigger group in this lower is mil spec. The lower has been milled to allow the link to move freely, and the upper has been machined to fit together with the link protector.

The gun is acting like a single shot. One pull of the trigger and the gun fires and a live round is left in the chamber with a dead trigger.

Clearly, the link is tripping the disconnector and causing the hammer to fall, but I am not getting auto fire. It happened on the first 2 shots and then none after.

The paddle is in good shape and is not peened.

I can ride the carrier slowly as described above without the hammer releasing, but have a dead trigger if I fully cycle the action.

Any thoughts? I already changed my trigger and hammer springs. I really need to try to figure it out as I have a client in town who wants to shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The hammer is being released too soon (early). You need to adjust the paddle (or whatever) to make it release just before the carrier stops.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The hammer is being released too soon (early). You need to adjust the paddle (or whatever) to make it release just before the carrier stops.
View Quote

Do you know whether this needs a thicker or thinner paddle? I am afraid I don't know.

If it needs an even thinner paddle: I already have the thinner paddle installed - how could I cure this?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#3]
As Quarterbone's instructions say, either remove metal from the bottom bolt carrier ledge that contacts the paddle, or take a file to the disconnector at the point where the link body tugs it rearward (front of disconnector). Either should cause a later release.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As Quarterbone's instructions say, either remove metal from the bottom bolt carrier ledge that contacts the paddle, or take a file to the disconnector at the point where the link body tugs it rearward (front of disconnector). Either should cause a later release.
View Quote

Thanks. I'll pull the disco and try to play with it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I do have an original 8" x 11" instruction sheet that came with my LL from SWD. Be glad to make you a copy if you like.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#6]
i took just a hair of metal off the back of the upper vs the bcg.... the bcg are expensive vs a normal one i would rather fit the upper to the link then the bcg
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#7]
the other thing is that it might have nothing to do with timing... it sounds like bolt bounce i had major problems with my link and that at first.... i run and h3 or 9mm buffer in all the carbine stocks that i have the link fit to

i would switch to a heavyer buffer before i fit anything since it is passing the timing test as it is right now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an H2 buffer in it now. This and a carbine were all I had available.

I ended up taking a dremel to nibble a very little off the disconnector. 4 passes of just the tiniest bit each time followed by function checks (since I'm down at the farm, its just a step out the back door and let 'er rip -- at least with a can on) and I finally got it running.

I had my client over to shoot it this afternoon, and he was continuing to have a few problems. I took a good solid grip on the gun, and dumped a 20 rounder into our bank on the first pull. I got him tightened up on the rifle, and he also had good luck. I do think that there may be a little bit of bounce going on, however, so I will probably try the h3 and see where that goes.

Just as an fyi, the rifle is a PSA 18" rifle gas extra heavy chf barrel upper with a home brew spikes lower. I'd post some videos, but only have ones of him shooting it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#9]
nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]
My 16 middy psa chf runs a 9mm buffer.... And is extremely fast rof when suppressed and even unsurpressed it's faster then I had hoped being my first and only middy. Pretty good guess that psa uses generous gas port sizes.

Keep in mind the sp1 cut bcg is about an oz lighter then a normal fa carrier so your h2 is probably only the equivalent of a normal bcg and carbine buffer

I have been debating getting one of slashes heavy buffers
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top