Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, it is still a machine gun. There are commercial legal semi AR lowers that are already milled out, and may be lawfully sold, because they have never been drilled for the autosear pin hole. ATF has ruled that the single act of drilling the hole for the autosear pin is the act which creates a machine gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fail to see why welded holes have any Bering what so ever. It is not usable in that way any longer.

Current configuration is No Holes. Inside appears to be untouched by mill work. If it is not in the NFA then what is the issue ?

The act of drilling sear holes is manufacturing a machine gun.  Under the ATF's "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" rule, welding up the holes does not convert the machine gun back to a semi-auto.

So if the gun was not registered under the NFA back when the holes were drilled, then it is an illegal machine gun despite the holes being welded up.

would the fact that the fire control group pocket wasn't modified to accept a sear change anything?  since it couldn't accept a sear, was it considered a machine gun?

Yes, it is still a machine gun. There are commercial legal semi AR lowers that are already milled out, and may be lawfully sold, because they have never been drilled for the autosear pin hole. ATF has ruled that the single act of drilling the hole for the autosear pin is the act which creates a machine gun.

i would assume that the hole that is drilled has to be the exact size and location as a m16 correct?  if not, then wouldn't the colt sear blocks violate that rule with a larger hole in the vicinity?

i'm glad i got outbid so i don't have to deal with the hassle of the lower.  just curious about the regulations.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
and finally, the Colt blocks are only pinned on one side, not through both sides. So there is no issue with the Colt.
View Quote

There are at least three different iterations of the Colt sear blocks, at least two of which are drilled with blind holes through both sides of the receiver - but oversized and off center.  i have removed examples of all three types over the years.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  There are at least three different iterations of the Colt sear blocks, at least two of which are drilled with blind holes through both sides of the receiver - but oversized and off center.  i have removed examples of all three types over the years.
View Quote

How did they install it w/ blind holes on both sides?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  There are at least three different iterations of the Colt sear blocks, at least two of which are drilled with blind holes through both sides of the receiver - but oversized and off center.  i have removed examples of all three types over the years.

Drill through the receiver wall and a bit down into the block itself, the press in the blind pin.  Repeat on the other side.  Pretty much like you install any blind pin.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Drill through the receiver wall and a bit down into the block itself, the press in the blind pin.  Repeat on the other side.  Pretty much like you install any blind pin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.  my sporter lightweight is drilled on both sides:

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Ah, I misunderstood.  Through holes on both sides of the receiver, blind holes in the sear block itself.  Aren't the holes in the receiver lined up with each other?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ah, I misunderstood.  Through holes on both sides of the receiver, blind holes in the sear block itself.  Aren't the holes in the receiver lined up with each other?
View Quote

They do appear to be, at least by eye, from those photos.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#11]

What is the point of those silly things? Avoiding some perceived legal issue from the ATF? Appeasement?

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What is the point of those silly things? Avoiding some perceived legal issue from the ATF? Appeasement?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

just colt going above and beyond to protect citizens.  On SP1s and Sporters things like larger pivot pin holes, lack of sear relief on the uppers.  Later changes included the sear blocks w/ bolt carriers without tails to work with said carriers and larger fire control pin holes.  I think it finally dawned on them that it didn't make financial sense and made everything milspec.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just Colt going above and beyond to make sure no one does anything Constitutional with their product. They also brought us oversized FCG pins and semicircle bolt carriers. No other manufacturer did this crap.

They've only very recently stopped doing it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top